Sign in with
Your question

Interview with Hector Ruiz of AMD

Last response: in CPUs
February 26, 2007 1:52:06 AM

Straight from the Horses, er, ah, mouth..

Although looking at some of his spin, I was tempted to suggest the other end of the animal...

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=73837&src=site-ma...

A few samples...

CRN: Which platform - Barcelona, AMD's upcoming quad-core processor?

RUIZ: I'm talking about Barcelona. It's important in so many different ways. From my point of view, it's four cores in a single piece of silicon and architected with new cores and micro architecture. It will bring a significant new level of performance per watt, and we believe the value to this segment will be really powerful.

(Is Hector backing away from claims of absolute performance leadership with performance per watt?)

CRN: Recently there have been a rash of reports about pricing pressure on AMD, a sharp decline in its stock value and cash flow issues. Can you comment on those difficulties?

RUIZ: The one thing that's hard to do is trying to correlate the stock price to anything a company does.

(Um..ah.. losing a half billion in Q4 may be part of the answer there Hector?)

CRN: Intel is said to be regaining a big lead in performance over AMD and gaining mind share with the channel. What do you say to that?

RUIZ: In spite of all the hype and hoopla, there is not really such thing that Intel has leapfrogged AMD. It's quite the contrary.

(Ok.. Core2due hasn't been a success then... Is he serious?)

CRN: You mentioned the importance of Barcelona. What will be its impact on AMD this year?

RUIZ: This is an incredibly important product transition. We don't expect the ramp this year to be dramatic because it's a new core, .....Over 2007, it will have a significant impact on what I call design wins. People are committed to the architecture and product, and it will be a very significant part of revenue and earning in 2008.

(Vaporware in 2007?)
Related resources
February 26, 2007 5:39:03 AM

Quote:

Perhaps AMD should hire the former Iraqi information minister to handle all of thier PR work for 2007? :lol: 

Edit: Nevermind that. Hector already sounded a whole lot like him in this latest interview
February 26, 2007 6:00:23 AM

Quote:
(Is Hector backing away from claims of absolute performance leadership with performance per watt?)

Your logic is incorrect...

If the TDP is 120 watts (which is pretty darned high if not the highest for quads), and if Ruiz says it will have the highest performance per watt, then we can logically conclude that it will have the highest performance. Hence, Ruiz did not back away from his claims of absolute performance leadership. :wink:

Now with all of that said... Ruiz could still be telling an untruth. :lol: 
February 26, 2007 6:26:13 AM

For some strange reason, I got a flash of R.M Nixon from 1975 saying " I am not a crook"
February 26, 2007 10:37:46 AM

That guy needs help.
Oh wait, forget about the guy, AMD needs help.
February 26, 2007 10:49:02 AM

While i've never been a fanboy of any brand, i find the fact that people are rejoicing at the possibility that AMD does not produce something powerful with Barcelona terrifying. It is thanks to AMD (competition) that Intel produced the Core 2 Duo and brought its price down so much... Unless you guys have market share in either company, i really don't see how you can be a fanboy of one brand or the other.
February 26, 2007 1:17:54 PM

Quote:
people are rejoicing at the possibility that AMD does not produce something powerful with Barcelona

To be honest, I kind of hope they don't. I know it's better for us all if they do, but I take a somewhat sadistic pleasure in seeing diehard fanboys of any kind reduced to bitter tears.
February 26, 2007 1:35:10 PM

Vaporware for 2007 and hemmoraging $.5B per quarter means Barcelona is $2B away. If AMD has to raise $2.B in cash to make it to Barcelona then byeeeeeeeee...Hector.
February 26, 2007 1:41:08 PM

He hasn't been able to sell all of his stock yet. If he said "Well nuts, we're in deep trouble and Intel is awesome! I need a C2D for my home computer", you'd probably see the stock completely die instead of just cry and moan. Although I guess this kind of falls into the space of misleading investors.

It does no good for him to admit the truth, so he'll spin as much as he can, even if there's 0% truth.
February 26, 2007 2:54:35 PM

Quote:

Your logic is incorrect...

If the TDP is 120 watts (which is pretty darned high if not the highest for quads), and if Ruiz says it will have the highest performance per watt, then we can logically conclude that it will have the highest performance. Hence, Ruiz did not back away from his claims of absolute performance leadership. :wink:

Now with all of that said... Ruiz could still be telling an untruth. :lol: 

A little pessimistic. AMD needs neither the highest raw performance nor the highest performance-per-watt at full load to compete in the server sector. I think even most of us here can be pretty sure that K10 will be competitive in performance-per-watt at typical server loads - i.e., variable between low % and near 100% throughout a 24-hour day. That's because, unless AMD is totally making up features, the K10 is able to shut off cores completely to accomodate load. They can have a desirable server product on that quality alone - highest practical performance-per-watt - until Intel figures out something similar.

As for the interview, Ruiz is doing what any good marketer would do - trying to convince others they have a superior product when they don't necessarily have. By no means is it an easy task, but I would agree he needs to focus more on the typical server load idea. That's his market for Barcelona, after all.

Other than that, his language is down-to-earth. Don't wanna nitpick him to the point he starts talking down to others, do we? :) 
February 26, 2007 3:12:51 PM

Quote:

Funny thing is, the Iraqi foreign minister was not lying, there were no WMD's.

edit: forgot to add, Hector's tone does seem a bit cautious.
February 26, 2007 3:46:31 PM

I don't remember the Iraqi minister of information speaking about WMD's at all. He got his reputation from denying that they were even being attacked. Then saying how they had defeated us.... etc. Blatant lies when all evidence pointed to the contrary. That is why I posted the picture.
February 26, 2007 4:06:47 PM

Quote:
that perception Intel had is exactly what AMD is lacking. Intel knew it was behind in the game, and they reacted. I don't see AMD doing that.
I am not a fanboy, nor am I trying to elicit flames... but come on. "reacted"? you make it sound like they dumped NetBurst like it was hot immediately after the Athlon64/Opteron hit and ran to Core2. It took years man.

If by "reaction" you meant slowly researching the competition and changing the entire direction of the company to better address the competition's new stance and market dominance then that is true... but it is also true of what AMD is doing right now.

Quote:
Definetly delaying launches is not a good way to start, nor is giving insane statements like Ruiz did. That doesn't help AMD a bit... actually all it does is hurt AMD's images with people who knows best.
How long did the p4 "hurt" Intel's "image"? longer than the time that has passed since core2 took the market... did it actually hurt? well, they lost a ton of market share and AMD is at their highest ever. Will amd lose some of that share as they shift to address the core2? sure they will. Will it hurt them in the long run? doubt it any more than the P4 hurt intel in the long run while they shifted.

Remember, design and building... especially changing that as the market/competition changes takes time. Intel was caught off-guard when the netburst hit the wall... AMD changed so much with their on-die memory controller and 64 bit inside of SOI among other things. I really don't think AMD was caught nearly so blinded. (then again, maybe it is worse... time will tell) The barcelona is coming much faster than it took core2. (not saying it is as good... we really don't know)

Quote:
I am not rejoicing to see AMD go down... but I surely would like to see AMD's board of directors go down. If they are not to blame for AMD's current status, who is?
umm, they have been very aggressive. It takes years to see long-term plans come out. It does not happen very fast... processors are fast, companies are not... patience my young friend.
February 26, 2007 4:14:17 PM

Quote:

Funny thing is, the Iraqi foreign minister was not lying

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/

Check out the quotes down bottom, I think this one is my favorite..

Quote:
Now even the American command is under siege. We are hitting it from the north, east, south and west. We chase them here and they chase us there. But at the end we are the people who are laying siege to them. And it is not them who are besieging us.

definitly a lie ;) 

February 26, 2007 4:20:29 PM

Quote:
that perception Intel had is exactly what AMD is lacking. Intel knew it was behind in the game, and they reacted. I don't see AMD doing that.
I am not a fanboy, nor am I trying to elicit flames... but come on. "reacted"? you make it sound like they dumped NetBurst like it was hot immediately after the Athlon64/Opteron hit and ran to Core2. It took years man.

If by "reaction" you meant slowly researching the competition and changing the entire direction of the company to better address the competition's new stance and market dominance then that is true... but it is also true of what AMD is doing right now.

Quote:
Definetly delaying launches is not a good way to start, nor is giving insane statements like Ruiz did. That doesn't help AMD a bit... actually all it does is hurt AMD's images with people who knows best.
How long did the p4 "hurt" Intel's "image"? longer than the time that has passed since core2 took the market... did it actually hurt? well, they lost a ton of market share and AMD is at their highest ever. Will amd lose some of that share as they shift to address the core2? sure they will. Will it hurt them in the long run? doubt it any more than the P4 hurt intel in the long run while they shifted.

Remember, design and building... especially changing that as the market/competition changes takes time. Intel was caught off-guard when the netburst hit the wall... AMD changed so much with their on-die memory controller and 64 bit inside of SOI among other things. I really don't think AMD was caught nearly so blinded. (then again, maybe it is worse... time will tell) The barcelona is coming much faster than it took core2. (not saying it is as good... we really don't know)

Quote:
I am not rejoicing to see AMD go down... but I surely would like to see AMD's board of directors go down. If they are not to blame for AMD's current status, who is?
umm, they have been very aggressive. It takes years to see long-term plans come out. It does not happen very fast... processors are fast, companies are not... patience my young friend.

Finally someone with a balanced view. I don't understand how people think it takes five minutes to intro a new arch. AMD still has Brisbane and Lima to produce at 65nm.
February 26, 2007 4:26:01 PM

8)
February 26, 2007 5:32:23 PM

Quote:

And yes, a C2D is way cheaper and way better than anything AMD has to offer today. For every price range of CPUs, Intel does have a better solution.

You're completely wrong. Don't belive me? Mosy on over to Dell and HP where they sells tons of AMD chips and appear to have almost completely phased out P4, Pentium D, and Celeron product lines. Old P4 chips suck just as much as they ever did and will have to drop in price a good bit more to be concidered a good alternative to AMD's low-end AM2 chips and even then the only good part would be saving money. They would still run hot and loud, waste electricity, and have less performance.

AMD isn't loosing much market share. As they have said their strategy is to set themselves up to be more profitable and secure in 2008 and beyond. Don't nail the coffin shut yet. Their stock price has dropped because modern stock investors are gun-shy and impatient and want <6month turn arounds in investments (which is a little silly according to verteran stock investors such as www.fool.com) and that's not going to happen with AMD. Their products are still good, they have much more market share then they have had historically, they have a reputation for good products now. AMD is on course but it's a corse that doesn't really begin to shine until early 2008 and they are under heavy price competition from intel. AMD can't go back to their old model and be profitable, as some dense analysts have suggested, now that intel is actively trying to break them they have to increase their volume to remain secure and that is what they are trying to do.

All this doomsaying is really a bit premature. If things still look this bad 6 months from now maybe you'd have a point but AMD does have a plan to for the next few years and that plan is working. It's just not the "we will own the industry 4 months from now" plan that stock investors want to hear. It takes time to design chips and fabs, longer than a few months, and they are repsonding a hell of a lot faster than Intel did (probably because they never completely dropped the ball in the first place like intel did making an architecture that was LESS effecient than a previous architecture). Unless something drastic happens they aren't going out of business. AMD is in a vunerable spot right now but they have new products coming out, they have contracts, they have R&D underway, we need to wait at least a few more months to see how those things pan out.

Quite frankly, sometime this summer might be a good time to invest in AMD. Their stock is under-valued right now and likely to go lower and at that point it won't take much good news (real good news though, not just spin) to send it back up.
February 27, 2007 10:07:49 PM

It seems like when Intel announces things, the stock goes down. When they just shut up for awhile, it slowly creeps up (of course, can't do much when the entire stupid market is down---not a good day for stocks today). Maybe all CEOs should just shut up for awhile. News makes people jittery (especially when the CEOs are blatently lying).
!