Using Windows 2000 server as a BDC in an NT Domain

Hello you all,

I currently have a Windows NT domian that has a PDC and a BDC. The
drive in the PDC crashed. I promoted the BDC to PDC. I'm thinking
that this is a good time to upgrade to Active Directory. I do not
plan to use the original PDC or the current PDC domain controllers.
Both of them will be retired.

I have one other box the is a Windows NT member server and two other
boxes that are Windows 2000 member servers. ALL of my servers are in
production.

What I would like to do is: Make one of the Windoes 2000 boxes a BDC,
install upgrade the current NT PDC to Windows 2000 with AD, move all
roles/functions to the Windows 2000 box that is the current BDC for
the NT domain and then retire the old NT box.

Can this be done without a lot of problems?

Is there a better way to do this migration to AD?

Right now, I do not have to resources to purchase a new box to install
as NT BDC and then upgrade to AD.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
CEM (cmatiella@thetaskforce.org)
2 answers Last reply
More about using windows 2000 server domain

    CEM

    No, this cannot be easily done, as you cannot promote a Win2000 server to
    BDC in an NT4 domain. What you could do is to temporary use a couple of
    client computers as backup BDC's while upgrading your current PDC. Before
    you start the upgrade, you probably would take one BDC off line as a
    fallback option if anything would go wrong.

    This MS Knowledge Base article, and the web site it refers to, might help
    you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296480

    Best regards

    Bjorn

    cmatiella@thetaskforce.org (cmatiella@thetaskforce.org) wrote:

    >Hello you all,
    >
    >I currently have a Windows NT domian that has a PDC and a BDC. The
    >drive in the PDC crashed. I promoted the BDC to PDC. I'm thinking
    >that this is a good time to upgrade to Active Directory. I do not
    >plan to use the original PDC or the current PDC domain controllers.
    >Both of them will be retired.
    >
    >I have one other box the is a Windows NT member server and two other
    >boxes that are Windows 2000 member servers. ALL of my servers are in
    >production.
    >
    >What I would like to do is: Make one of the Windoes 2000 boxes a BDC,
    >install upgrade the current NT PDC to Windows 2000 with AD, move all
    >roles/functions to the Windows 2000 box that is the current BDC for
    >the NT domain and then retire the old NT box.
    >
    >Can this be done without a lot of problems?
    >
    >Is there a better way to do this migration to AD?
    >
    >Right now, I do not have to resources to purchase a new box to install
    >as NT BDC and then upgrade to AD.
    >
    >All help is appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >CEM (cmatiella@thetaskforce.org)

    Hi ,
    Hope you find this Kb article helpful.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296480&Product=win20
    00#Task1

    HOW TO: Upgrade a Windows NT 4.0-Based PDC to a Windows 2000-Based Domain
    Controller
    View products that this article applies to.
    IN THIS TASK
    SUMMARY
    Upgrade an Existing NT 4.0 PDC to Windows 2000
    Upgrade a New NT 4.0 Instatllation to Windows 2000