Win2k clean install hangs during reboot

Hi
I am doing a clean install of Win2k on my PC. Everything
proceeds normally until the PC reboots.
After the reboot, the Win2k gets stuck at the splash
screen.
I have a Dell precision with Adaptec SCSI 7899 controller.
I have tried this a couple of times with no success.
Any help given is appreciated.

Thanks
Sachi
4 answers Last reply
More about win2k clean install hangs reboot

    You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
    install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
    \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
    makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    supplied Windows 2000 driver for your scsi controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Shankar" wrote:
    | Hi
    | I am doing a clean install of Win2k on my PC. Everything
    | proceeds normally until the PC reboots.
    | After the reboot, the Win2k gets stuck at the splash
    | screen.
    | I have a Dell precision with Adaptec SCSI 7899 controller.
    | I have tried this a couple of times with no success.
    | Any help given is appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks
    | Sachi

    Dave,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I have one small problem. I do not have the drivers for
    the SCSI drive. This is a Dell PC and I can not find the
    common part numbers for the SCSI controller. It is a built-
    in controller on the motherboard, says Adaptec AIC-7899G .
    I checked the Adaptec website and they say very little
    about this product. looks like it is a chip and I need the
    name of the adapter that Adaptec recognizes and the Dell
    documents do not mention anything.
    How do I find out what adaptec controller does my PC have
    so that I can get the correct drivers for it.

    Thanks
    Sachi

    I have searched the net for the drivers and

    install, then again
    >restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid
    unexpected drive
    >letter assignments with your new install.
    >

    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Shankar" wrote:
    >| Hi
    >| I am doing a clean install of Win2k on my PC. Everything
    >| proceeds normally until the PC reboots.
    >| After the reboot, the Win2k gets stuck at the splash
    >| screen.
    >| I have a Dell precision with Adaptec SCSI 7899
    controller.
    >| I have tried this a couple of times with no success.
    >| Any help given is appreciated.
    >|
    >| Thanks
    >| Sachi
    >|

    >.

    AIC-7899G is a version of Adaptec's AIC-7899 2 Channel /
    Wide / Ultra160 / 64 bit / 66 MHz chip, that corresponds
    to Adaptec 39160 SCSI adapter family.
    Although Adaptec offers drivers for its major line of SCSI
    adapters, the G version of AIC-7899 may have been
    specially modified for Dell as an OEM. Adaptec usually
    warn against using standard drivers for OEM versions of
    their adapters, and you have to contact Dell for the right
    driver.

    Go to the dell support web site http://support.dell.com/home.aspx and enter
    in your system service tag there you should find the driver download.

    --

    "Sachi Shankar" wrote:
    | Dave,
    | Thanks for the quick reply.
    | I have one small problem. I do not have the drivers for
    | the SCSI drive. This is a Dell PC and I can not find the
    | common part numbers for the SCSI controller. It is a built-
    | in controller on the motherboard, says Adaptec AIC-7899G .
    | I checked the Adaptec website and they say very little
    | about this product. looks like it is a chip and I need the
    | name of the adapter that Adaptec recognizes and the Dell
    | documents do not mention anything.
    | How do I find out what adaptec controller does my PC have
    | so that I can get the correct drivers for it.
    |
    | Thanks
    | Sachi

Clean Install Microsoft Windows