Heatsink won't mount...

daveny

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
This may not be the right place for this, but I have a bit of a problem. I'm building a machine for a friend, and I attempted to mount the Intel heatsink/fan that comes with the Core2Duo, and it will NOT click into place. Only 2 of the 4 pins will click in place at any given time. Something is not right here.

The MB is a P5W Deluxe, and I am certain the processor is mounted correctly. I would replace this with a Big Typhoon like my last build if necessary.

Has anyone had this problem? I can't damage this MB trying to force the pins through. Thanks in advance for your replies.

ReverendGadgetBoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I had this problem, and although i cant remember exackly what i was doing wrong, i know it had to do with turning the little pins on the heatsink, so experiment with that.

Mondoman

Splendid
This is a common problem.
1) Mount the hsf with the MB *out* of the case, so you can support the back of the MB as you push through the pins, and can verify visually that the pins are all the way through.
2) Each time you (try to) install the hsf, you need to clean off the old thermal compound and apply fresh material, in order to ensure good coverage that is not too thick and free of air bubbles.
3) Before pressing down, make sure each pin top is turned completely in the direction *opposite* the arrow. The arrows are for releasing the pins.

This post may help: (see step 2.5 onward) http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1184072#1184072

daveny

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Hey guys,

Thank for all the replies. I guess all I needed was some encouragement. I ended up just really mashing the pins down. 3 of 4 went in without much force, while 1 is pushed down but refuses to "click." I'm really disappointed with this. I know the MB is a good one, as I built *my* PC with the same one. However on mine I used a Big Typhoon which was an almost easier install because at least I didn't feel like I was going to snap the MB in half trying to put the heatsink on. :x

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
The Intel HSF is famous for being hard to install. Key is to make sure the pins are all turned the correct way, easiest to install if you do it outside the case. That way you can see if the pins came out the backside.

ReverendGadgetBoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
yeah, the last pin is hardest. keep playing with the rotating pins, and it helps if you can apply pressure carefully from the other side of the motherboard. just keep at it.