Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD OTA (49%) question

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 6:45:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Had the 811 and HD pak for 6 months now but just recently put up a decent
OTA antenna with rotor and amp. After spending 2 days turning that antenna
every which way and doing "scan for digital"s, I've come up with 2 channels
that lock in (70-85%) and seem to work fine. However they're both PBS and
seem to run the exact same programs. Very nice but redundant.



During all that scanning I also came up with a couple of stations that would
not lock. I tried to narrow the antenna position for the best signal but
the best I could get was 49%. If I leave it alone, the meter kind of
bouncing between 0 and then anywhere from 40 to 56% for a second and then
either stop on 49% 0%. Seems kind of weird that both these stations would
act the same way and both end up at 49%, especially since they're at
completely different locations. Since they don't lock, I can't try some of
the "view button" tricks I've seen recommended in the old 811 threads.



Is this an 811 bug or just that I can't receive these signals and probably
won't even with another receiver ?



Specifically, I'm in central Vermont (05033), right on NH border at 700
feet with views to South and East.



The 2 PBS stations I do get are 24 (Vt PBS 23.1 thru 24.5) and 48 (NH PBS
11.1 & 11.2). The 2 stations that act like they're "trying" to come in are
at 42 and 59.



Also, these 2 stations I can't quite get right now, will I likely get them
later if they up the power ? I don't think I could go much higher with my
antenna.



Thanks,

WaltinVt

More about : ota question

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 9:23:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Walt Mather" <waltinvt@lostinvt.net> wrote in message
news:BI2dnYPYiY8wnbzcRVn-gQ@giganews.com...
> Had the 811 and HD pak for 6 months now but just recently put up a decent
> OTA antenna with rotor and amp. After spending 2 days turning that
antenna
> every which way and doing "scan for digital"s, I've come up with 2
channels
> that lock in (70-85%) and seem to work fine. However they're both PBS and
> seem to run the exact same programs. Very nice but redundant.
>


Have you tried entering your address at
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx to see where the stations are in
your area? Try that and point your antenna in that direction. I also have a
811 with roof mount antenna, preamp and rotor. I'm 48 miles from the towers
in Norfolk, VA and I get ALL of the HD/Digital stations in that market
crystal clear.

Jim




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
August 16, 2004 10:06:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Walt Mather" <waltinvt@lostinvt.net> wrote in message
news:BI2dnYPYiY8wnbzcRVn-gQ@giganews.com...
> Had the 811 and HD pak for 6 months now but just recently put up a decent
> OTA antenna with rotor and amp. After spending 2 days turning that
antenna
> every which way and doing "scan for digital"s, I've come up with 2
channels
> that lock in (70-85%) and seem to work fine. However they're both PBS and
> seem to run the exact same programs. Very nice but redundant.
>
>
>
> During all that scanning I also came up with a couple of stations that
would
> not lock. I tried to narrow the antenna position for the best signal but
> the best I could get was 49%. If I leave it alone, the meter kind of
> bouncing between 0 and then anywhere from 40 to 56% for a second and then
> either stop on 49% 0%. Seems kind of weird that both these stations would
> act the same way and both end up at 49%, especially since they're at
> completely different locations. Since they don't lock, I can't try some
of
> the "view button" tricks I've seen recommended in the old 811 threads.
>
>
>
> Is this an 811 bug or just that I can't receive these signals and probably
> won't even with another receiver ?
>
>
>
> Specifically, I'm in central Vermont (05033), right on NH border at 700
> feet with views to South and East.
>
>
>
> The 2 PBS stations I do get are 24 (Vt PBS 23.1 thru 24.5) and 48 (NH PBS
> 11.1 & 11.2). The 2 stations that act like they're "trying" to come in
are
> at 42 and 59.
>
>
>
> Also, these 2 stations I can't quite get right now, will I likely get
them
> later if they up the power ? I don't think I could go much higher with my
> antenna.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> WaltinVt

Looks like you should get 4 PBS ,1ABC and 1 NBC .
What antenna and amp do you have ?



>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 11:57:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Lenbo" <harleylen3@cox.net> wrote in message
news:%2bUc.21211$pT5.10613@lakeread05...
>
> "Walt Mather" <waltinvt@lostinvt.net> wrote in message
> news:BI2dnYPYiY8wnbzcRVn-gQ@giganews.com...
> > Had the 811 and HD pak for 6 months now but just recently put up a
decent
> > OTA antenna with rotor and amp. After spending 2 days turning that
> antenna
> > every which way and doing "scan for digital"s, I've come up with 2
> channels
> > that lock in (70-85%) and seem to work fine. However they're both PBS
and
> > seem to run the exact same programs. Very nice but redundant.
> >
> >
> >
> > During all that scanning I also came up with a couple of stations that
> would
> > not lock. I tried to narrow the antenna position for the best signal
but
> > the best I could get was 49%. If I leave it alone, the meter kind of
> > bouncing between 0 and then anywhere from 40 to 56% for a second and
then
> > either stop on 49% 0%. Seems kind of weird that both these stations
would
> > act the same way and both end up at 49%, especially since they're at
> > completely different locations. Since they don't lock, I can't try
some
> of
> > the "view button" tricks I've seen recommended in the old 811 threads.
> >
> >
> >
> > Is this an 811 bug or just that I can't receive these signals and
probably
> > won't even with another receiver ?
> >
> >
> >
> > Specifically, I'm in central Vermont (05033), right on NH border at
700
> > feet with views to South and East.
> >
> >
> >
> > The 2 PBS stations I do get are 24 (Vt PBS 23.1 thru 24.5) and 48 (NH
PBS
> > 11.1 & 11.2). The 2 stations that act like they're "trying" to come in
> are
> > at 42 and 59.
> >
> >
> >
> > Also, these 2 stations I can't quite get right now, will I likely get
> them
> > later if they up the power ? I don't think I could go much higher with
my
> > antenna.
> >
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > WaltinVt
>
> Looks like you should get 4 PBS ,1ABC and 1 NBC .
> What antenna and amp do you have ?
>
The slip is a little vague but I believe the antenna is a Channel Master CWI
9022 with a Channel Master rotor that has a LED readout and remote. The
preamp is a # AP-8275 and the cable is RG6.

I just don't understand the signal reading being 49% for both those stations
I can't lock on and wondered if it's the "49% bug" in the 811 or just that's
how the 811 reacts to signal that's just too weak. The fact that I am
locking the 2 PBS stations fine makes me think that the 811's ok but the
other stations are just too weak. I've also heard where some have had this
problem and where able to get the station fine with a different receiver or
were able to do something to "fool" the 811 into locking on. I mainly
wanted to know if it's just a weak signal problem and I'm stuck or if
getting a replacement 811 will help.

Walt
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:49:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I'm just learning about this stuff, but my experience is that when you
get wild swings on the meter it's a multi-path problem. Until
someone convinces my otherwise, the Zenith Silver Sensor is the best
at handling multipath probs, but it's an indoor antenna, although many
of us have used it outside with no problems.





On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:45:01 -0400, "Walt Mather"
<waltinvt@lostinvt.net> wrote:

>Had the 811 and HD pak for 6 months now but just recently put up a decent
>OTA antenna with rotor and amp. After spending 2 days turning that antenna
>every which way and doing "scan for digital"s, I've come up with 2 channels
>that lock in (70-85%) and seem to work fine. However they're both PBS and
>seem to run the exact same programs. Very nice but redundant.
>
>
>
>During all that scanning I also came up with a couple of stations that would
>not lock. I tried to narrow the antenna position for the best signal but
>the best I could get was 49%. If I leave it alone, the meter kind of
>bouncing between 0 and then anywhere from 40 to 56% for a second and then
>either stop on 49% 0%. Seems kind of weird that both these stations would
>act the same way and both end up at 49%, especially since they're at
>completely different locations. Since they don't lock, I can't try some of
>the "view button" tricks I've seen recommended in the old 811 threads.
>
>
>
>Is this an 811 bug or just that I can't receive these signals and probably
>won't even with another receiver ?
>
>
>
>Specifically, I'm in central Vermont (05033), right on NH border at 700
>feet with views to South and East.
>
>
>
>The 2 PBS stations I do get are 24 (Vt PBS 23.1 thru 24.5) and 48 (NH PBS
>11.1 & 11.2). The 2 stations that act like they're "trying" to come in are
>at 42 and 59.
>
>
>
>Also, these 2 stations I can't quite get right now, will I likely get them
>later if they up the power ? I don't think I could go much higher with my
>antenna.
>
>
>
>Thanks,
>
>WaltinVt
>
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:14:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Male Order Menopause wrote:
> I'm just learning about this stuff, but my experience is that when you
> get wild swings on the meter it's a multi-path problem. Until
> someone convinces my otherwise, the Zenith Silver Sensor is the best
> at handling multipath probs, but it's an indoor antenna, although many
> of us have used it outside with no problems.

Waving branches on trees can also cause wild swings in signal level as
they move in and out of the signal path.

Matthew
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:01:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I had the waving branch problem until I switched to an old 4 bow tie UHF
antenna on my chimney. No more signal problems on windy days.

Barry
"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
news:10id1eo8vsg6l8e@corp.supernews.com...
> Male Order Menopause wrote:
> > I'm just learning about this stuff, but my experience is that when you
> > get wild swings on the meter it's a multi-path problem. Until
> > someone convinces my otherwise, the Zenith Silver Sensor is the best
> > at handling multipath probs, but it's an indoor antenna, although many
> > of us have used it outside with no problems.
>
> Waving branches on trees can also cause wild swings in signal level as
> they move in and out of the signal path.
>
> Matthew
>
!