abc

I blew it. I repair installed XP and it had a little disagreement with
my ATI 9550 driver----so the machine remained at the default VGA mode
and refused to accept the 9550 driver. Error message was something
about conflict with the VGA driver.

So I disabled the default VGA adapter ------now the screen is always
black, even though the system and hard disk are obvioulsy working. I
tried to repair install again and, once the windows start booting ,
the rest of the installation proceeds in the dark.

Is there a file in the Windows folder I can tweak to get a screen
back?

Thanks very much

ABC
Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

How many display adaptors (including the onboard ones) do you have?
If you have 2 see if the monitor works when you plug it in to the second
one.

post back,

Kenny

"ABC" <ABC@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I blew it. I repair installed XP and it had a little disagreement with
> my ATI 9550 driver----so the machine remained at the default VGA mode
> and refused to accept the 9550 driver. Error message was something
> about conflict with the VGA driver.
>
> So I disabled the default VGA adapter ------now the screen is always
> black, even though the system and hard disk are obvioulsy working. I
> tried to repair install again and, once the windows start booting ,
> the rest of the installation proceeds in the dark.
>
> Is there a file in the Windows folder I can tweak to get a screen
> back?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> ABC
> Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

See if you can start from the CD and fire up the Recovery Console.
If that works, then you can use the ENABLE command (see Help info below) to
re-enable your adapter, to at least get something visible.
If that pans out, reboot your machine and continue with the, still
incomplete, reinstall.

hth

george

Enable
Enables a Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0 system service or a
device driver. The enable command is only available when you are using the
Recovery Console.

enable {service_name | device_driver_name} [startup_type]

Parameters

service_name

The name of the system service you want to enable.

device_driver_name

The name of the device driver you want to enable.

startup_type

The startup type that you want to designate for the service or device
driver. Valid startup types are:

a.. SERVICE_BOOT_START
b.. SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
c.. SERVICE_AUTO_START
d.. SERVICE_DEMAND_START
Example

The following example sets the startup type for the Eventlog service to
Automatic or SERVICE_AUTO_START:

enable eventlog service_auto_start

Notes

a.. If you do not designate a startup type, the enable command lists the
current startup type for the service or device driver you specified in
service_name.
b.. When you use the enable command to change a startup type, the previous
startup type's name will display on the screen. You should write this name
down in case you need to restore the startup type to the previous setting.

"ABC" <ABC@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I blew it. I repair installed XP and it had a little disagreement with
> my ATI 9550 driver----so the machine remained at the default VGA mode
> and refused to accept the 9550 driver. Error message was something
> about conflict with the VGA driver.
>
> So I disabled the default VGA adapter ------now the screen is always
> black, even though the system and hard disk are obvioulsy working. I
> tried to repair install again and, once the windows start booting ,
> the rest of the installation proceeds in the dark.
>
> Is there a file in the Windows folder I can tweak to get a screen
> back?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> ABC
> Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

begin 666 note.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
`
end

ABC wrote:
| I blew it. I repair installed XP and it had a little disagreement with
| my ATI 9550 driver----so the machine remained at the default VGA mode
| and refused to accept the 9550 driver. Error message was something
| about conflict with the VGA driver.
|
| So I disabled the default VGA adapter ------now the screen is always
| black, even though the system and hard disk are obvioulsy working. I
| tried to repair install again and, once the windows start booting ,
| the rest of the installation proceeds in the dark.
|
| Is there a file in the Windows folder I can tweak to get a screen
| back?

I hope that you have your data backed up.
ATI onboard? ATI AGP or PCI?
Where did you disable the VGA adaptor? BIOS? Device Manager?
What drivers are you talking about ATI catalyst? ATI provided on the
XP install disk?

abc

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:10:46 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
wrotd:

>How many display adaptors (including the onboard ones) do you have?
>If you have 2 see if the monitor works when you plug it in to the second
>one.
>
>post back,
>
>Kenny

I have only one adapter(no onboard VGA). Remember I was in the middle
of a re-installation so windows always boot to CONTINUE the
installation.

I used F8 and I chose VGA mode and got the XP screen that "setup is
restarting....." ,but it stayed there, with the setup obviously
continuing in the background.
So it seems that the installation is just not feeding new screens to
the video card. Same result with the safe mode.

So my XP is still waiting to finish the installation.......... There
must be a file or driver that I can delete somewhere. The terrible
thing is that I cannot do a "fresh" repair install. The DOS setup
page now recognizes the half- finished setup and I must continue with
it....Remember that "upgrade" option on the dos screen?

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:10:46 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
> wrotd:

> The terrible
> thing is that I cannot do a "fresh" repair install. The DOS setup
> page now recognizes the half- finished setup and I must continue with
> it....Remember that "upgrade" option on the dos screen?

Well you probably could make a boot disk and then reformat the HD.

Why reformat the hard drive? At worst he can do a repair install.

> "ABC" <ABC@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:10:46 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
>> wrotd:
>
>> The terrible
>> thing is that I cannot do a "fresh" repair install. The DOS setup
>> page now recognizes the half- finished setup and I must continue with
>> it....Remember that "upgrade" option on the dos screen?
>
> Well you probably could make a boot disk and then reformat the HD.

try starting in safe mode and setting your screen resolution lower. The
computers at work tend to go blank when the users set the resolution too
high.

"ABC" <ABC@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I blew it. I repair installed XP and it had a little disagreement with
> my ATI 9550 driver----so the machine remained at the default VGA mode
> and refused to accept the 9550 driver. Error message was something
> about conflict with the VGA driver.
>
> So I disabled the default VGA adapter ------now the screen is always
> black, even though the system and hard disk are obvioulsy working. I
> tried to repair install again and, once the windows start booting ,
> the rest of the installation proceeds in the dark.
>
> Is there a file in the Windows folder I can tweak to get a screen
> back?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> ABC
> Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

Griffin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004

> ABC
> Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

I could help, but I only do this via email.

Griff

... And for a fee, no doubt..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"griffin" <griff@internet.com> wrote in message

>> ABC
>> Do not reply by email. Replay to NG
>
> I could help, but I only do this via email.
>
> Griff

abc

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:49:25 GMT, "CWatters"
<colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrotd:

>Well you probably could make a boot disk and then reformat the HD.

and lose everything.

ABC
Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

abc

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:28:50 +0100, "george"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrotd:

>See if you can start from the CD and fire up the Recovery Console.
>If that works, then you can use the ENABLE command (see Help info below) to
>re-enable your adapter, to at least get something visible.
>If that pans out, reboot your machine and continue with the, still
>incomplete, reinstall.
>
>hth
>
>george

Thanks. this must be the most logical solution. Except I have not clue
what the vanilla VGA driver is called. I typed " enable vga", the
return message is that the driver cannot be found in the registry.

any help appreciated.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:03:11 -0500, "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrotd:

>ATI onboard? ATI AGP or PCI?

ATI AGP card
>Where did you disable the VGA adaptor? BIOS? Device Manager?

in the" display setting-- propery-Adapter--general" tab
>What drivers are you talking about ATI catalyst? ATI provided on the
>XP install disk?

Catalyst. But remember it refused to load ATI driver and defaulted to
VGA---I disabled the VGA so nothing is on left.

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:28:50 +0100, "george"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrotd:
>
>>See if you can start from the CD and fire up the Recovery Console.
>>If that works, then you can use the ENABLE command (see Help info below)
>>re-enable your adapter, to at least get something visible.
>>If that pans out, reboot your machine and continue with the, still
>>incomplete, reinstall.
>>
>>hth
>>
>>george
>>
> Thanks. this must be the most logical solution. Except I have not clue
> what the vanilla VGA driver is called. I typed " enable vga", the
> return message is that the driver cannot be found in the registry.
>
> any help appreciated.
>
> ABC
> Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

Don't know if it will help (can't really 'simulate' this 100%), but when
running RC type the command 'listsvc', that will list you all services and
devices on your system and tell you what their startup-values are.
See if there is something 'vga?????' to be found in the list. (List is
presented screen-page at the time, hit enter for next page)
if there is (on mine I found VgaSave System) and with some luck yours could
read VgaSave Disabled :))
If that's the case type: "enable vgasave service_system_start" to set
this device to start upon system start.

hth

george

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:49:25 GMT, "CWatters"
> <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrotd:
>
> >Well you probably could make a boot disk and then reformat the HD.
>
> and lose everything.

Sorry I missed that he said "repair" install.

abc

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:31:52 +0100, "george"
>(on mine I found VgaSave System) and with some luck yours could
>read VgaSave Disabled :))
>If that's the case type: "enable vgasave service_system_start" to set
>this device to start upon system start.

Tried that. Mine is VGASAVE enabled - system. So I am at a dead end.

Just found out that I am not the only one making this big mistake. MS
should do something about it:

http://forum.osnn.net/archive/index.php/t-36260.html

http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=7407;prev_next=prev

nothing in the first post worked for me. The second posting cannot
help a half done installation.

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:31:52 +0100, "george"
>>(on mine I found VgaSave System) and with some luck yours could
>>read VgaSave Disabled :))
>>If that's the case type: "enable vgasave service_system_start" to set
>>this device to start upon system start.
>>
> Tried that. Mine is VGASAVE enabled - system. So I am at a dead end.
>
> Just found out that I am not the only one making this big mistake. MS
> should do something about it:
>
> http://forum.osnn.net/archive/index.php/t-36260.html
>
> http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=7407;prev_next=prev
>
> nothing in the first post worked for me. The second posting cannot
> help a half done installation.
>
> ABC
> Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

ABC,

Gotten any further??
If not (and you haven't already decided to do a clean install :-(((( ) then
you might consider taking a look at ERD Commander.
This provides you a graphical interface running from CD that enables you to
get to the crucial system parts of a windows installation, such ad Services
and Drivers, Registry, Explorer, etc. etc.
The bad news is, it's not freeware.

george

abc

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:51:02 +0100, "george"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrotd:

>Gotten any further??
>If not (and you haven't already decided to do a clean install :-(((( ) then
>you might consider taking a look at ERD Commander.
>This provides you a graphical interface running from CD that enables you to
>get to the crucial system parts of a windows installation, such ad Services
>and Drivers, Registry, Explorer, etc. etc.
>The bad news is, it's not freeware.
>
>george

I gave up. formatted and clean installed.

Apparently, what I did was fatal.