OS,OE & Display Desktop Resolution Issues

DISPLAY RESOLUTION______Windows was having several OS problems, so I reinstalled OS over the old one. Too much other SW on HDD to start over. Resolution was fine on desktop before reinstall. But, now it currently shows 16 colors. Went into control panel numerous times to reset to either 256 colors or to High Color(16 bit), but it will not allow to apply the change. Normally, when you click "Apply," you can then click "OK," but when you click "Apply," it takes you directly to the "reset computer" msg, and it remains at the 16 color setting. This is a HOT issue and need to get fixed ASAP.

OPERATING SYSTEM_______2001 Dell, 18Gb HD, 128k, CDRW, DVD, P3 - System very slow. Used config.sys to see what is in "startup" and everything was already checked. Checked all needed, plus Norton AV. Deleted TIF and History, plus Deleted folder. Used Ad-Aware 6.0 to clean out all cookies, etc. System takes about 15-25 seconds to respond to click. OS almost non-responsive. Can I clean up anything else to speed up OS??

OUTLOOK EXPRESS_______Accesses OE, but cant pull down email from server. IF re-install killed the account settings for email server, I didnt check, yet. I am on another computer. What else would cause no response.

I know this is alot, but they are all happening at once. The resolution issue is the hottest. I will also check OE account settings, but am stumped there too.

PLEASE HELP, folks! This thing is really confusing for me. In advance, I appreciate all your help...as always.

Thanks, Leta

Leta <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> DISPLAY RESOLUTION______Windows was having several OS problems, so I
reinstalled OS over the old one. Too much other SW on HDD to start over.
Resolution was fine on desktop before reinstall. But, now it currently
shows 16 colors. Went into control panel numerous times to reset to
either 256 colors or to High Color(16 bit), but it will not allow to apply
the change. Normally, when you click "Apply," you can then click "OK,"
but when you click "Apply," it takes you directly to the "reset computer"
msg, and it remains at the 16 color setting. This is a HOT issue and need
to get fixed ASAP.

You need to install the appropriate driver for your video card. If the
original OS on this machine was Windows 2000, the driver will most likely
be on a diskette or CD that came with the system. If you started with
some other Windows version or can find the dirver disk, you'll need to go
to the maufacturer's web site and search for an appropriate driver.

> OUTLOOK EXPRESS_______Accesses OE, but cant pull down email from server.
IF re-install killed the account settings for email server, I didnt check,
yet. I am on another computer. What else would cause no response.

The account settings would be the first thing to check. If that doesn't
help, I'd call the ISP and ask for assistance.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio