Overclocking... Burning smell. Oh dear!

Gustafarian

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Hey peeps,

This isn't a question, just a story.

I was messing with my pc this weekend seeing how far I could push my E6400. It seemed to be running just fine at 8*410 with prime95 on each core.

Then horror! I got an over whelming smell of burning. Coretemp thought it was running at 58C but I wasn't taking any chances. I shut the power off immediately and checked my machine for black marks and puffs of smoke.

It turned out my housemate had burned his toast! How inconsiderate of him to frighten me like that!

Gus

Vakon

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
haha. Im new to posting on this board. but I usually read the threads all the time. This was the first thread that finally got me to register and post a reply!

I figured it would be a horrible ending, but i had read it about 10 minutes ago and i still can't stop laughing :lol:

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
get a little remote falme to go up in his computer when he is using his next... nothing much just a smoke bomb... that teach him to eat toast :p

Gustafarian

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Now there's an idea. I would like to put a smoke puff coupled with an attack alarm in it but I am not that mean!

I'll just change his backdrop to an error message. It's an old trick but a good one.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Have u ever smelt an electrical fire - its scary. Burnt out 2 floppy drives on a build a couple of years ago. Game over. Flames and smoke.

We had to open all the windows in the house just to air it.

sailer

Splendid
Had one of those in my house. I was doing some work on my computer when I smelled smoke. looked at the computer closely, but couldn't see anything. Then I turned to my son who was at his computer, staring at the smoke rising out of the monitor and the case. He had spilled some Kool Aid on it. No rebuilding of the remains, just off to the local dump with it.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Heh I burned my old Gigabyte board.
Don't think it was OC'd but I had 4 gb ram amd 3200? mebe 3000.
.75? terabyte.
Everything in the system was friend but cpu and half the ram.
Smelt like burnt popcorn and actually got smoke.

Lesson, dust bad. Lightning striking your house 3 times bad. Buy good PSU.

Gustafarian

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Thanks for all your replies peeps.

It seems there is danger all around: kool-aid, lightning, evil floppy drives and dodgy PSUs. Here are the steps I have taken:

1. Keep kids away, not too hard for me but I do have to worry about drunk housmates
2. Plugged PC and all periferals into surge protector
3. Not had an evil floppy drive since 2004
4. Bought additional PSU to reduce stress on first one.

Now all I need to do is make sure my gf does her hair before coming round ;-)