A good wireless router for cable (ntl/virgin media)

ghostwalker

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Is anyone able to help? My cable (with ntl/virgin media) is shortly going to be hooked up and I need to buy a wireless router so that the two computers in my house can access the web. I've searched around a bit but I can't really find much about good wireless cable routers. Can anyone offer any suggestions.

Thanks.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
It really depends on what you need your network to do. If you just need to have internet in both locations, go with a basic wireless G; Linksys or Netgear.
If you need to share files between your pcs you may want to go up to the new wireless N ( potentially 2x the speed). The distance from your wireless pc and the router is a speed factor, and so is the construction of your house. The longer the distance, the less speed. I've seen a big difference in houses with steel framing not working as well as houses with wood framing, too.
I just upgraded my wired router for a Netgear simply because it was $20 on sale at Staples. Linksys has more add-ons, like boosted gain antennae.
Hope that helps
Good luck

ghostwalker

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Thanks for the comments guys.

I decided to go for the Netgear Rangemax WPN824. No problems so far and my computer seems to connect to it at a good speed.