Help.... my computer......

I had some errors with my Wins 2000 computer... too many
registry errors for me to correct myself... and program
errors as well, so I decided to format and start clean...
Everything went fine, until I went to find my Wins 200
install CD... That's when I remembered, the software came
with the computer.... I didn't have the media...at the
moment, I can't even find my CD key.... I know I have
that... but what can I do about the Wins 2000 OS itself?
Will I have to buy it again, or can I redownload it from
somewhere, or get a disc from a friend?... or something...
what can I do.... please help.... thanks....
4 answers Last reply
More about help computer

    Mikel wrote:
    > I had some errors with my Wins 2000 computer... too many
    > registry errors for me to correct myself... and program
    > errors as well, so I decided to format and start clean...
    > Everything went fine, until I went to find my Wins 200
    > install CD... That's when I remembered, the software came
    > with the computer.... I didn't have the media...at the
    > moment, I can't even find my CD key.... I know I have
    > that... but what can I do about the Wins 2000 OS itself?
    > Will I have to buy it again, or can I redownload it from
    > somewhere, or get a disc from a friend?... or something...
    > what can I do.... please help.... thanks....

    contact the computer's mfg and see if they can help you

    I tried... but they were a small-local based business, and
    apparently due to the recession we were having... they
    closed... I tried to contact the owner, he said he'd like
    to help... but can't, he had to sell all of his computers
    and software to make reparations for the bankruptcy...

    If you can find your Certificate of Authenticity (which contains your
    CD-Key) then you are licensed, and it does not matter where you get a copy
    of the media from. I wouldn't suggest downloading it (although you could)
    because you never know what you get, but you could burn a copy from a friend
    or whatever.

    If it's a relatively new system, the CoA should be a small (~1" x 3")
    colorful label stuck on your case somewhere. They started doing that during
    the W2K timeframe. If you can't find it, is it possible the little guy
    ripped you off and sold you Windows without the license? If so you're
    screwed and will have to buy another copy, if you can even find it. But
    you'd have to buy the full retail version, at about $300 CAD. You might not
    be able to get W2K anymore, you might have to buy XP.

    Jason

    "Mikel" <Athlon@programmer.net> wrote in message
    > I had some errors with my Wins 2000 computer... too many
    > registry errors for me to correct myself... and program
    > errors as well, so I decided to format and start clean...
    > Everything went fine, until I went to find my Wins 200
    > install CD... That's when I remembered, the software came
    > with the computer.... I didn't have the media...at the
    > moment, I can't even find my CD key.... I know I have
    > that... but what can I do about the Wins 2000 OS itself?
    > Will I have to buy it again, or can I redownload it from
    > somewhere, or get a disc from a friend?... or something...
    > what can I do.... please help.... thanks....

    aight man thanks.... I know I have the COA... it's not on the case... it came in a little baggy type thing... with a piece of cardboaard (for durability I guess)... I have just misplaced it... b/c I pulled everything out (it's in the middle of a small a/v recording studio) and tried to make sure nothing was fried and that all the connections were good...

Computers CD-Rom Microsoft Windows