xp home networking group policy problem.

March 11, 2005 6:49:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

greetings!

i hope you guys can help me with this, since it seems to be no common
problem.
the thing is this: i have two pcs connect by a switch and the network is
fine, meaning
that both pcs are pingable, i can connect to the wan from eithe one and i
can even
access the shared files of one of them which, and here is the problem, alas
is not
working vice versa too.

having the xp home edition, which isn't shipped with the neccesary
administration
tools i had to improvise and use some old win nt apps to try and find out
what's
actually wrong with the laptop, being the pc whose network resources cannot
be
accessed. with the tool musrmgr.exe finally i found out that you can
actually specify
the user groups whom you want to give access to the system via a network.
since
on my laptop i don't even have the administrator group added to this setting
but on
the other pc i have all the groups i'm using, i hence think that this is it.
this is my
problem.

unfortunately the tool i used can only read the settings. so i'm left with
no application
whatsoever which could change this setting and let me use the network
properly already.

i really really hope you people can help me out with this.

thank you in advance!

lipsticks
March 11, 2005 6:49:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:49:15 +0100, "poisonLipsticks" <none@nowhere.org> wrote:

>greetings!
>
>i hope you guys can help me with this, since it seems to be no common
>problem.
>the thing is this: i have two pcs connect by a switch and the network is
>fine, meaning
>that both pcs are pingable, i can connect to the wan from eithe one and i
>can even
>access the shared files of one of them which, and here is the problem, alas
>is not
>working vice versa too.
>
>having the xp home edition, which isn't shipped with the neccesary
>administration
>tools i had to improvise and use some old win nt apps to try and find out
>what's
>actually wrong with the laptop, being the pc whose network resources cannot
>be
>accessed. with the tool musrmgr.exe finally i found out that you can
>actually specify
>the user groups whom you want to give access to the system via a network.
>since
>on my laptop i don't even have the administrator group added to this setting
>but on
>the other pc i have all the groups i'm using, i hence think that this is it.
>this is my
>problem.
>
>unfortunately the tool i used can only read the settings. so i'm left with
>no application
>whatsoever which could change this setting and let me use the network
>properly already.
>
>i really really hope you people can help me out with this.
>
>thank you in advance!
>
>lipsticks

Lipsticks,

With Windows XP Home, you have Simple File Sharing. With SFS, access to shares
is granted to the Guest account only.
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...;

With XP Home, you can temporarily disable Simple File Sharing by starting up in
"Safe Mode with Networking".

A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315222

With Simple File Sharing disabled, right click the desired folder, click Sharing
and Security, and share the folder. Then, click the Permissions button to
specify network access permissions, and click the Security tab to specify NTFS
file system permissions. A network user needs both permissions in order to
access the share.

For details how to set permissions:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_fileshar...

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Have a read of this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307874&sd=tech

It doesn't addess the editing policy issue, but you will be able to share
files

Regards
Mark Dormer

news:D 0sb5c$qv6$02$1@news.t-online.com...