MSI P965 Platinum Limited Edition - Windows XP BSOD

Ledge

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Hi everyone,
I just purchased new components for my home built. It was time to upgrade. The only things I reused were my Antec case and HP (LG)CDRW/DVD drive.

MSI P965 Platinum Limited
BIOS 1.2
Core2Duo E6300 boxed
1GB OCZ RAM PC6400
Maxtor 160GB SATA 3.0 GB/s
eVGA 7600GT PCI-E video
ThermalTake 600W PS

Problem is, I can't get XP loaded. During the install, windows does the initial driver load, and when it says 'Starting Windows' it will BSOD with the error:
STOP 0x7E pci.sys.

I've looked it and found nothing of any value. I've tried multiple versions of XP (some with and some without slipstreamed SPs). I also tried the floppy disk drivers that came with the MSI mobo CD for the driver, but XP doesn't recognize them as useable.

Funny thing is, I was able to fully load and configure Vista last night without a hitch. I don't want to leave Vista on the system simply because it doesn't support any of my peripherals like printers and such right now.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Len

Ledge

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Problem resolved.

So apparently the SATA drivers included on the CD that came with the mobo either don't work or are outdated. From MSI I got a newer version of the SATA drivers and this time the install worked just fine.

It would be nice if XP had some native SATA support built into it, but at this point in the game I doubt they would even consider it.

Len

DanekJovax

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Hi Ledge,

Nice notes on how you solved this problem; I'll have to keep it in mind when I set up my system.

The real question I was was where in the world did you get the Limited Edition version of that mobo? I've been looking all over creation, but nobody's selling it.... just the regular P965 edition.

If you have any leads, I'd be appreciative. Thanks.

--- danekJovax

Ledge

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I got mine from ZipZoomFly.com. It doesn't list it specifically as the Limited Edition, but that is what I got. I'm not complaining!!.

The item shows as:
MSI P965 Platinum P965 P4/Core 2 Duo/P4EE 1066FSB LGA775 DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free Shipping***

Hope this helps.

DanekJovax

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I got mine from ZipZoomFly.com. It doesn't list it specifically as the Limited Edition, but that is what I got. I'm not complaining!!.

The item shows as:
MSI P965 Platinum P965 P4/Core 2 Duo/P4EE 1066FSB LGA775 DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free Shipping***

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link. Looking there (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=249622), I see that it isn't listed as a Limited Edition, as you say. Even the picture reflects the standard edition model.

So your motherboard looks like the one in this picture, instead? (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P965_Platinum_(Limited_Edition)&class=mb) The most notable feature I see is the heat pipe and the copper heatsinks on both the NB and SB chips. If yours also has these, then you really lucked out.

I can't feel confident that if I order that board that I'd get the Ltd Ed, given that I'm ordering a Std Ed according to the webpage. I mat have to just wait it out until a vendor specifically lists it (COME ON NEWEGG!!).

Thanks a lot for your help though. I really appreciate it.

--- DanekJovax

Ledge

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Yep, your link is correct, thats the version I got, heat pipes and all. I didn't even realize it at first when it showed up until I went online to collect info and saw the difference.

DanekJovax

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Well, wow.

I'm minutes from purchasing my new 'rig, and I ended up spec'ing a different mobo in the end, because I needed that extra little passive cooling on the board to assist in OC'ing.

Anyways, thanks a bunch, and I'll see you around in the forumz.

--- DanekJovax

ericag_ph

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Problem: pci.sys stop BSOD Windows XP won't install

Hardware: MSI P965 NeoF-V2

Try:

Option 1. (worked)

Disable SATA at BIOS,
Use Windows XP w/ SP2
Install XP on an IDE drive.

Option 2. (worked)