Sign in with
Your question

X-FI Sound Card on Intel DG965wh questions (pics)

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2007 2:41:44 PM

I have the Intel DG965wh board, Antec 900 case, and Creative X-FI XtremeMusic Sound card. I did not see a place on the sound card to connect the header from the front of my case- anyone know? I assumed that to get those to work they would need to connect on the card. Perhaps by connecting to the mobo it like bridges it?

Connections on top of card

Connections from Case

This is where those connectors go on the Mobo
February 27, 2007 1:34:52 AM

ANYONE?? No one has a dedicated sound card and little audio ports on the front that need to be connected?
February 27, 2007 1:48:19 AM

I'm not knowledgeable in this department (or in any department since I don't own a custom rig yet).

But maybe the folks that made the card assumed that onboard sound and their sound solution perform similarly when listened to through headphones and so do not include a connection to the front of the case where the headphone jacks are.

This is the equivalent of me taking shit out of my ass and smearing it over a post. I don't know if this shit from my ass is true.

I know nothing about this sort of stuff. So good luck to you, and consider this post a friendly *bump*
Related resources
February 27, 2007 2:39:39 AM

i have that card and if you want front audio ports, you have to buy Creative's X-Fi I/O Console Upgrade

the more expensive models come with an Audio I/O drive bay
February 27, 2007 2:50:41 AM

Well i dont need recording rca ports or anythign, i just mean the front of my case has a mic and headphone mini jacks and id like to be able to plug my headset in there without unplugging speakers from the back and crap
February 27, 2007 3:01:04 AM

sry...but creative will not release the schematic to do it..the only way is with the x-fi console as davmalu369 stated..

I 2 have the extreme and knew it before buying it...did a little research online to find out..

I did have a link to someone who actually made up an adapter for one of the audigy cards,but deleted it some time ago. 1 mistake and poof!dead card!

just buy some extensions that will allow u to plug and unplug ur headset from the front.

good luck
February 27, 2007 3:19:48 AM

what kind of speakers are you using? most mid to high end speakers have a front headphone connection like mine: Logitech Z-2300

if you're using basic speakers, the card is kinda going to waste

Like Earnie said, there's sure to be some kind of extender, you might want to check Radio Shack or another store
February 27, 2007 3:52:49 AM

You would be looking for that same connector on the soundcard to get the sound from the card. That connector you took a shot of would only work for onboard sound.

The extreme music is the most basic X-FI card. You got what you paid for. If you wanted the full features of X-FI without the faceplate... buy the real X-FI card which goes for $145, the X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro. The regular Fatal1ty has the faceplate which you said you didn't need. You would be able to plug-in front jacks to that card definitely.

Creative Labs does this for all their sound cards... Right now you're out of luck... plug it in the back manually or buy a speaker set which has the plug in.
February 27, 2007 10:53:46 AM

Iv got a set of creatives that were about 130 i think so they have the front headphone jack on the ctrl beside my monitor, but not mic. Either way this card should be better than my integrated intel 5.1 right? I mainly bought it cuz it was 50 brand new. The front jack thing isnt a huge deal but i do a lot of other multimedia
February 27, 2007 2:08:15 PM

that'll work,then buy 1 extension for the mic to reach to the speakers.
then when u want to listen to ur speakers just unplug the headset from the speakers..works good that way.
February 27, 2007 2:11:22 PM

Oh cool i get it- buy a mini 3.5mm male to female and plug it into the sound card and run the female end up next to my headphone jack on my speaker controls- maybe use little ties to attach it or something.
March 1, 2007 2:49:19 AM

I would also recommend betting a y-splitter, if you're speakers at least have a volume or on/off switch. I have both my headphones/mic plugged into the sound card at the same time as my speakers, I just turn off the speakers when I use headphone and put the volume on the headphones to 0 when I use the speakers. Alot cheaper than the I/O bay thingie. Just an idea though.
March 1, 2007 2:52:07 AM

A y-splitter can be purchased at RadioShack... thats an excellent idea. Some 4.1 and 5.1 speaker sets were shipped with one because of the 2 channel problem. The sound would be routed through the speakers and headphones at the same time...
March 1, 2007 3:55:21 AM

Quote:
You would be looking for that same connector on the soundcard to get the sound from the card. That connector you took a shot of would only work for onboard sound.

The extreme music is the most basic X-FI card. You got what you paid for. If you wanted the full features of X-FI without the faceplate... buy the real X-FI card which goes for $145, the X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro. The regular Fatal1ty has the faceplate which you said you didn't need. You would be able to plug-in front jacks to that card definitely.

Creative Labs does this for all their sound cards... Right now you're out of luck... plug it in the back manually or buy a speaker set which has the plug in.

There is no such thing as a REAL X-Fi and a fake one. The one he got is exactly the same as the Fatal1ty, without the faceplate. Features and everything else is the same (except for the RAM, which only matters in games). The sound quality is exactly the same. He didn't say he didn't need it, he said he THOUGHT he didn't need it.
March 2, 2007 12:20:05 AM

Thanks for setting me straight... I just looked up the card again. For some reasons I thought I remember seeing the Xtreme music and gamer half the size of the Fatal1ty.

It was just the gamer thats half the size...

X-FI Xtreme Gamer
!