Has anyone tried an optical mouse on a FPS?

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So, as I was saying, has anyone tried an optical mouse on a FPS? one guy told me that for better snipering you need a real ball (sort of). I haven't tried one myself but I'm thinking of getting one for "better accuracy and smoother ....etcrap."

Sh!t Happens.

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was using a ball mouse for playing UT, I changed to an optical mouse and I thought it performed much better. It is easier to aim and more accurate and doesn't slip.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned in life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

DJediX

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I got a Razor Boomslang 2000, its just as good as an optical. i did it because of the design of the mouse, not so much that its a ball.. its also a $100 mouse (which Best Buy has for $69)

Only problem is that Razor's parent company folded and sold to Logitech i think

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got a microsoft one, but I am sure that all three brands are about the same. My ball mouse was a Logitech cordless.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned in life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks. In that case I will get me the microsoft one. Although I heard that top gamers usually prefer Logitech mice. I don't know why.

Sh!t Happens.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've got the Logitech cordless optical. It's extremely nice (although expensive, at around $70 or so retail), and it has a good range (20+ feet~3.5 metres). The batteries (two AA) are supposed to last up to 3 months, although I haven't had it long enough to know from experience.

I play mostly UT, although I'm still a Rogue Spear fan, and I got Tribes 2 a couple of days ago.

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I got the logitec optical/cordless too, got it last week, had no probs at all, MUCH better than my old ball one, I like how if Im at my pc maybe showing someone how to do something, I can just pass the mouse over to them, no need for mousemat, no cables etc, and as mentioned, has a good range.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
i have logitech optical mouse. I am an avid gamer, and i always use logitech mice. and i can kill any of you at 1rst person shooter too :p I actually so far prefer it to my old ball mouse, although, in a way, the heaver motion on the ball mouse is actaully kinda easier because it stops easier, this one i find myself going there and back in half the time, or over shooting alot. But its so smooth an im still gettin used to it. so far i liek :) doesnt get dirty either

anyways just some thoughts.. hope this helps...

--DarkPHire

G

Well, I prefer Logitech ball mouse, optical aren't bad, but my mouse glides so fast ! Another factor is that you should have a good pad, but Voodoo pad, it makes mouse swim!!! smooth! (well u can adjust the speed).

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
they dont judge opticals in resolution i dont think. i know that the microsoft one takes 1500 pictures per second to judge your movement. i luv my intellimouse explorer. best mouse i have ever used (and i have had it for a year, havent had to clean it yet and it works like the day i got it ;)

eh, i'll procrastinate later...

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In that case I totally made up my mind. MS intelli mouse explorer it is.
I just posted this thread because a guy told me that optical get sloppy with first person shooters.

Sh!t Happens.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In that case I totally made up my mind. MS intelli mouse explorer it is.
I just posted this thread because a guy told me that optical get sloppy with first person shooters.
Now I know who was the sloppy in games.

Sh!t Happens.

G

The Microsoft Optical Mice have dropped to around 29.95 at Office Max (I just bought 2 of them.) They have worked great so far with StarCraft and Counter Strike.

Thank you for your time,

Iceburn

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've just remembered why I asked this question. PC gamer reviewd the mouse and said it's very good for windows, but poor for games (I haven't read this personally, but my friend told me).
That's pretty cheap. Are you sure they are Explorer not the ordinary optical?
Also, I've just found the Explorer mouse without its CD. Do I absolutely need the CD that comes with it? What about when you first install windoz, does it see the usb mouse or can it only see the ps2 and the serial? (sorry, never had a usb mouse before).
Thanks.

Sh!t Happens.

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, the $30 is for the normal one. The CD has the drivers, IntelliPoint software, and probably something useless to go along with it. Both of those you can download from Microsoft's site for free, so don't worry about the CD. Windows will autodetect stuff on a USB port, just like PS/2 or serial. Actually, better than PS/2 or serial. And, in my opinion, you'll get a lot less grief if you use the USB port, not a USB to PS/2 adapter.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
actually, you will get a LOT less grief using the ps2 adapter for two reasons: first, the usb port uses CPU time in order to transmit the data. second, the ps2 is very standard and will work in environments like old dos games and windows safe mode. I will never again use a usb mouse or keyboard if ps2 is available.

on another note, I just ordered logitech wireless iTouch keyboard and wireless Mouseman Optical. So Ill let ya know if the wireless optical works well or not. From all reviews it sounds like it just plain kicks ass but well see.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, you're right about that. Why I said USB would work better is because some of the buttons on certain mice don't work right unless it's plugged into USB.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I got the Logitech Cordless Optical mouse and IT KICKS @SS!!! I love it to death. It works just as good as my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and also runs fine out to about 20' away from the receiver. This thing is gonna kick ass next year in my dorm.
I would wholeheartedly recommend both the Cordless Optical mouse and the Cordless iTouch keyboard by Logitech. It is so nice not having to worry about cords (espcially when I move my monitor right next to my bed so I can play games while lying down :wink: )

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The real deal on the optical mouse and boomslag mouse.

Ok I have owned both. I have first bought the boomslag mouse cause I was not happy with the logtic mouse man plus. After getting the boomslag mouse could not believe how much easier getting frags were. I used that mouse for a few months and notice that the ball inside would get dirty and no matter how you clean it would always clog it inside. The movement was never the same. I could adjust to the dirt but if I wanted to be a grate player and not just a good player I needed everything in tune.

With the optical mouse there is no cleaning needed to the mouse. The movement of the curser is always the same. Also some people complain that the curser will jump but that is because you should run in it on a hard surface and not the mouse pad. The reason being is the mouse pad can absorb the light of the beam.

I’d never go back to a ball mouse ever.
Oh ya I now own the logtic optical.

Jeff
Tom's Hardware the march to the top 100 teams! <A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_type_4.html" target="_new"> Ranked 180 </A>

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks a lot man.
I didn't know you had to remove the mouse pad for optical mice. I have a wooden desk. I hope it works fine on that.
How does the optical stack up against a new boomslang?

Sh!t Happens.