Sign in with
Your question

Has anyone tried an optical mouse on a FPS?

Last response: in Video Games
May 31, 2001 3:40:30 PM

So, as I was saying, has anyone tried an optical mouse on a FPS? one guy told me that for better snipering you need a real ball (sort of). I haven't tried one myself but I'm thinking of getting one for "better accuracy and smoother ....etcrap."

Sh!t Happens.

More about : optical mouse fps

May 31, 2001 5:32:20 PM

I was using a ball mouse for playing UT, I changed to an optical mouse and I thought it performed much better. It is easier to aim and more accurate and doesn't slip.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned in life: It goes on." -Robert Frost
May 31, 2001 9:07:09 PM

i went from ball to optical back to ball.............
Boomslang 2000 baby :) 
Related resources
June 1, 2001 4:38:04 AM

Thanks.
Which brand have you got? Microsoft, Logitech or A4?

Sh!t Happens.
June 1, 2001 4:41:28 AM

So why did you switch back to ball? Which brand did you get?

Sh!t Happens.
June 1, 2001 1:29:55 PM

I got a Razor Boomslang 2000, its just as good as an optical. i did it because of the design of the mouse, not so much that its a ball.. its also a $100 mouse (which Best Buy has for $69)

Only problem is that Razor's parent company folded and sold to Logitech i think
June 1, 2001 5:25:28 PM

I got a microsoft one, but I am sure that all three brands are about the same. My ball mouse was a Logitech cordless.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned in life: It goes on." -Robert Frost
June 1, 2001 6:22:50 PM

Thanks. In that case I will get me the microsoft one. Although I heard that top gamers usually prefer Logitech mice. I don't know why.

Sh!t Happens.
June 1, 2001 8:04:40 PM

I've got the Logitech cordless optical. It's extremely nice (although expensive, at around $70 or so retail), and it has a good range (20+ feet~3.5 metres). The batteries (two AA) are supposed to last up to 3 months, although I haven't had it long enough to know from experience.

I play mostly UT, although I'm still a Rogue Spear fan, and I got Tribes 2 a couple of days ago.

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
June 4, 2001 2:01:12 PM

I got the logitec optical/cordless too, got it last week, had no probs at all, MUCH better than my old ball one, I like how if Im at my pc maybe showing someone how to do something, I can just pass the mouse over to them, no need for mousemat, no cables etc, and as mentioned, has a good range.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
June 5, 2001 5:58:29 PM

I guess that's too expensive for me.
What resolutions do the Logitech and Microsoft mice have?

Sh!t Happens.
June 6, 2001 9:46:38 AM

i have logitech optical mouse. I am an avid gamer, and i always use logitech mice. and i can kill any of you at 1rst person shooter too :p  I actually so far prefer it to my old ball mouse, although, in a way, the heaver motion on the ball mouse is actaully kinda easier because it stops easier, this one i find myself going there and back in half the time, or over shooting alot. But its so smooth an im still gettin used to it. so far i liek :)  doesnt get dirty either

anyways just some thoughts.. hope this helps...

--DarkPHire
Anonymous
June 6, 2001 11:09:47 AM

Well, I prefer Logitech ball mouse, optical aren't bad, but my mouse glides so fast ! Another factor is that you should have a good pad, but Voodoo pad, it makes mouse swim!!! smooth! (well u can adjust the speed).
June 6, 2001 6:30:00 PM

they dont judge opticals in resolution i dont think. i know that the microsoft one takes 1500 pictures per second to judge your movement. i luv my intellimouse explorer. best mouse i have ever used (and i have had it for a year, havent had to clean it yet and it works like the day i got it ;) 

eh, i'll procrastinate later...
June 8, 2001 5:32:01 AM

In that case I totally made up my mind. MS intelli mouse explorer it is.
I just posted this thread because a guy told me that optical get sloppy with first person shooters.

Sh!t Happens.
June 8, 2001 5:32:23 AM

In that case I totally made up my mind. MS intelli mouse explorer it is.
I just posted this thread because a guy told me that optical get sloppy with first person shooters.
Now I know who was the sloppy in games.

Sh!t Happens.
June 8, 2001 5:34:53 AM

Sorry, hit the continue too fast.
They won't let me delete the first one.

Sh!t Happens.
Anonymous
June 8, 2001 5:40:44 PM

The Microsoft Optical Mice have dropped to around 29.95 at Office Max (I just bought 2 of them.) They have worked great so far with StarCraft and Counter Strike.

Thank you for your time,

Iceburn
June 10, 2001 7:15:23 AM

I've just remembered why I asked this question. PC gamer reviewd the mouse and said it's very good for windows, but poor for games (I haven't read this personally, but my friend told me).
That's pretty cheap. Are you sure they are Explorer not the ordinary optical?
Also, I've just found the Explorer mouse without its CD. Do I absolutely need the CD that comes with it? What about when you first install windoz, does it see the usb mouse or can it only see the ps2 and the serial? (sorry, never had a usb mouse before).
Thanks.

Sh!t Happens.
June 11, 2001 2:34:23 PM

No, the $30 is for the normal one. The CD has the drivers, IntelliPoint software, and probably something useless to go along with it. Both of those you can download from Microsoft's site for free, so don't worry about the CD. Windows will autodetect stuff on a USB port, just like PS/2 or serial. Actually, better than PS/2 or serial. And, in my opinion, you'll get a lot less grief if you use the USB port, not a USB to PS/2 adapter.

June 14, 2001 7:54:52 AM

actually, you will get a LOT less grief using the ps2 adapter for two reasons: first, the usb port uses CPU time in order to transmit the data. second, the ps2 is very standard and will work in environments like old dos games and windows safe mode. I will never again use a usb mouse or keyboard if ps2 is available.

on another note, I just ordered logitech wireless iTouch keyboard and wireless Mouseman Optical. So Ill let ya know if the wireless optical works well or not. From all reviews it sounds like it just plain kicks ass but well see.

June 14, 2001 3:18:05 PM

Yeah, you're right about that. Why I said USB would work better is because some of the buttons on certain mice don't work right unless it's plugged into USB.

June 16, 2001 10:07:59 PM

Well, I got the Logitech Cordless Optical mouse and IT KICKS @SS!!! I love it to death. It works just as good as my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and also runs fine out to about 20' away from the receiver. This thing is gonna kick ass next year in my dorm.
I would wholeheartedly recommend both the Cordless Optical mouse and the Cordless iTouch keyboard by Logitech. It is so nice not having to worry about cords (espcially when I move my monitor right next to my bed so I can play games while lying down :wink: )

June 21, 2001 5:41:35 PM

The real deal on the optical mouse and boomslag mouse.

Ok I have owned both. I have first bought the boomslag mouse cause I was not happy with the logtic mouse man plus. After getting the boomslag mouse could not believe how much easier getting frags were. I used that mouse for a few months and notice that the ball inside would get dirty and no matter how you clean it would always clog it inside. The movement was never the same. I could adjust to the dirt but if I wanted to be a grate player and not just a good player I needed everything in tune.

With the optical mouse there is no cleaning needed to the mouse. The movement of the curser is always the same. Also some people complain that the curser will jump but that is because you should run in it on a hard surface and not the mouse pad. The reason being is the mouse pad can absorb the light of the beam.

I’d never go back to a ball mouse ever.
Oh ya I now own the logtic optical.

Jeff
Tom's Hardware the march to the top 100 teams! <A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_type..." target="_new"> Ranked 180 </A>
June 21, 2001 6:07:56 PM

Thanks a lot man.
I didn't know you had to remove the mouse pad for optical mice. I have a wooden desk. I hope it works fine on that.
How does the optical stack up against a new boomslang?

Sh!t Happens.
June 21, 2001 6:49:41 PM

Optical mice work strangely on certain surfaces, so be careful. There's not really any rhyme or reason to it (seemingly), because it looks at things so much closer than we do.

------------------------------
Anonymous
June 25, 2001 5:43:55 PM

These two ideas were from microsoft, in my words since I can't find the Doc.
There are two main surfaces that an optical will Jump/Skip/lag on.

1. Shiny surfaces that are too much like a mirror. It doesn't give the mouse anything to see.
Examples: Mirrors, SUPER shiny desks, glass...
2. Things with small repeating patterns. Many pictures (all magazines and posters) are made of Tiny dots and circles, super close together. They are so close together that the mouse will get confused and not know if/how much/direction it is moving.

Hope this helps...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Einstein
June 25, 2001 6:17:25 PM

That's very true, but I've had problems on certain wooden tables, etc.

------------------------------
June 28, 2001 12:41:55 AM

Im using a microsoft optical mouse, ive stoped having the problem i had before.... on my old ball mouse the cover for the ball would always fall out and they ball would always come out right when i was about to frag someone

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>
Anonymous
June 28, 2001 4:17:52 AM

I have a black mousepad under my Intelli Mouse Explorer. It has worked flawlessly for over 6 months (games and all - not a problem). I suggest getting one.
Anonymous
June 29, 2001 4:43:38 AM

I love my MS Intellimouse Explorer, I honestly think that my frags when up a few per game.
A ball mouse will always eventually skip and not be as smooth. My optical has never messed up...

The MS Explorer feels natural too, especially if you have big hands.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Einstein
June 29, 2001 7:09:51 PM

If I may ask, is that a regular mousepad? I heard people are putting cloths under it for better precision.

Sh!t Happens.
July 5, 2001 11:52:40 AM

One thing about the Logitech optical cordless, if you do use it for gaming, TURN OFF the dam acceleration in control panel (enabled by default), it throws the game all over the place- rather like a laggy game but worse,and I was VERY sea sick after about 20 mins, turned off the acceleration and all was fine, but IMO the fastest speed without the acceleration is a bit too slow for me, but I do like a fast mouse in windows.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
July 8, 2001 12:43:28 AM

I've been using the intelli explorer (the old one w/2 buttons on the left) for quite a while now. It has a faster rate when you use it via usb and it is not compliant with the "mouse rate o/c'ers" in the ps2 slot. How ever I have never had a problem with it as far as fps game go, and i don't find it to be worse than the ball. That razor mouse isn't all that and a bag-o-chips either, i used my friend's for a month or so and decided it's not worth the money. IMHO the two extra buttons on the mouse are really handy for fps's. To top it off it has a 5 year warranty, which is good, they seem to break down every two years, i've taken mine back twice, but the second time was just cause the buttons felt to soft (over use hehe).

Guess that's it for now, ball mice don't serve my mad fps skills any better.

oh, ps to the intelli users out there, don't update ur mouse drivers to the 3.x cause it brings down your rate by 20 or so. [i get about 130hz w/my optical]
Anonymous
July 8, 2001 7:26:53 PM

i had a microsoft optical before and it stopped working after a few months. My friend had the same problem with his microsoft mouse. After mine broke i went out and bought a 20 dollar logitec optical and i love it.
July 21, 2001 12:25:44 AM

i found that the wires in the MS Optical mouse on the inside are cheaply soldierd (sp?) onto the board. Thats what happened to my Optical Mouse. Played FPS games so much that the cord eventually got a wire yanked out and I lost total vertical movement. :x

Before I found out my dad was fixing it for me, I went out and bought a brand new one and at the time it was $29 after rebate. Good deal.
July 23, 2001 6:41:01 PM

Soldered

And another reason why I have a wireless optical courtesy of Logitech :) 

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:
September 6, 2001 1:57:22 AM

Hi stanger

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
September 6, 2001 4:59:18 PM

Hey, how's it going? :) 

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
September 9, 2001 1:32:18 AM

Forget mice..er..or should I say mouses! I use trackballs! I just love my Microsoft Trackball Optical. It feels just right!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
September 10, 2001 3:04:06 PM

I don't like any of the new trackballs. I have an old logitech trackball that cost me $90 and it was about 4~5 years ago. That thing is awesome. I love it. Still use it today.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!
September 10, 2001 6:06:17 PM

Trackball optical? Interesting.
Looks like a great trackball, though.

Spinning a trackball just seems too horribly inaccurate for a FPS.

If someone would come out with a combination mouse/trackball, that'd be awesome. You could control the tank with one, and the turret with another, for instance. The Microsoft one even looks like it's a combination.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
Anonymous
September 12, 2001 3:37:23 PM

Ok. I got the intelli mouse explorer and I think that the 10 buck mouse I had is better for quake 3.
What do you have as a pad?

It's good to dodge bullets. What's better is not getting him to fire in the first place.
September 12, 2001 4:19:55 PM

I've been using a couple of Everglide pads recently (got them for a future review), and they're nice. I'll be getting a couple of other kinds for my review as well.

<font color=green>In memory of those who died, simply because they lived in America.
Rest in peace.</font color=green>
September 12, 2001 5:38:02 PM

You'll have to let us know how that goes.

<b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> eat Trolls as a delicacy.
September 12, 2001 5:41:51 PM

Of course

<font color=green>In memory of those who died, simply because they lived in America.
Anonymous
September 12, 2001 9:01:38 PM

where do you buy these things? Do tell us how it goes? Are they better than the voodoo pads?

It's good to dodge bullets. What's better is not getting him to fire in the first place.
September 13, 2001 4:52:52 PM

Voodoo pads? Never heard of them.
<A HREF="http://www.everglide.com" target="_new">Everglide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.ratpadz.com" target="_new">RatPadz</A>
<A HREF="http://www.icemat.com" target="_new">Ice Mat</A>

The three companies that have promised to send one (I have one from Everglide already).

September 13, 2001 6:34:45 PM

Info: There are now two different Logitech Optical Cordless Mice. One is the Cordless Mouseman Optical (old version), and the other is the Cordless Optical Mouse.

It's going to be hell to tell these two apart with a search engine! I don't know why they didn't get some marketing whiz to at least give the new mouse an acceptable model name to distinguish it from the other. Genius at work, I suspect.

The new mouse is mostly silver-colored, with no thumb button, and a tighter scroll wheel. It has a different shape; no rubber grips on the side ... thinner contours. The pads on the bottom are Teflon. The optical part of the mouse is now a different revision, too ... and apparently has less lag than the older model. I'm not sure about the DPI rating ... yet, but I think it's still 800.

It ships with v9.28 of the MouseWare.

It's also about $30.00 cheaper than the older mouse.

Ran across this yesterday ... thought you might be interested.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847&lt;/A>
September 13, 2001 8:26:16 PM

I'm not interested in buying it, of course. But the information is nice to have.
<A HREF="http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm..." target="_new">Here</A> is the link for anyone else interested.

They probably wanted a mouse that was cheaper, more like the gaming mice, and could be used by a left-handed person more easily.

!