Can I install Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheeepo

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Hi, I've got Vista Home Premium 64Bit installed on my PC, and want to try out Windows 7. Problem is, I have only one hard drive, but it is divided in (C:) and (D:) in My Computer. Vista is installed on (C:), so should I install on (D:)? I don't really want to buy a new hard drive, so please help me, but just tell me to buy a new one if it's the only solution.

Solution
Beg, borrow, or buy a spare drive.

I'd imagine that you keep data on you 2nd partition, right? Install a new OS on that partition, 'poof'... No data. Get the partitions wrong, install to your first partition... 'Poof', no primary OS.

HDD's aren't all that expensive, are they? What does a 160GB drive go for? A 320?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Beg, borrow, or buy a spare drive.

I'd imagine that you keep data on you 2nd partition, right? Install a new OS on that partition, 'poof'... No data. Get the partitions wrong, install to your first partition... 'Poof', no primary OS.

HDD's aren't all that expensive, are they? What does a 160GB drive go for? A 320?

Solution

sheeepo

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Yeah, I think so. It's dividing your hard drive, right? If I do it, can I install Windows 7 without any worries?

Dragutin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It sounds as if sheeepo is actively using his computer though, so creating an extra partition might not be easy with all his data etc. on there. Since you already have a partition, (unless it's one of those useless 1g recovery partitions that come with your computer) then you can move everything from your D partition to your C partition and install windows 7 on D. Otherwise I think you'll probably have to back up all your data and reformat and put win7 on there if you really have your heart set on trying win7.

sheeepo

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Following your advice, I have now bought a new HDD, and have installed Windows 7. It's actually really cool! Thanks for all your help.

P.S. : How do I close the thread?

Actually, the preferred sequence of events is to allow the thread to die out so that 2 years from now someone can resurrect it from the grave with a half~thought~out question that's somehow vaguely related to your original post. :na:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS