All in one NETWORK !

Almost-Human

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I am interested in getting a wireless network set up Between a Laptop with built in wirless card(its 802.11 b/g dell inspiron 9300) and a Desktop system which had no card installed yet,(selfbuild) hence this thread..

My requirments would be as follows..

Firstly, I would like to stream MP3 files from the desktop to the Laptop. as in access my mp3 collection whick will be stored on the main system(desktop) on my laptop..

Secondly, I would love to be able to send files to the Desktop from the laptop for printing..

And maybe broadband on both throught the network.. but at present I have not got broadband..

Any help would be appreciated !!
A-H

any wireless router will let you do that....as a plus you can add more computers(wired and wireless) in the future...

In the mean time if you have dial up....even that can be shared with windows internet connection sharing.....and when you do get broadband you will already have a router for sharing it to all computers....

Just for the record my setup is

Cable Modem => router => 3 pcs and switch(5 port)...switch to dual wireless access points(routers with dhcp/firewall off) 4 more computers on the switch and AP's....and to round it all off 2 laptops on wireless....All computers can share files across the network...

It is easy to set up.....

We at THG do not condone file sharing MP3's as that is illegal. Please purchase 2 copies of DRM enabled music so both machines can play, which will eliminate your need for a network.

BTW: any wireless router will do this. Just make sure you have sharing enabled, and both on the same Domain..... er, i mean workgroup.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Sorry, It's not piracy.

It is quite legal to convery songs from your CDs to MP3s for use on your PC or portable MP3 player. No laws are being broken. If you had read the post, you would have realized that he owns the CDs and these are not DRM protected downloads.

If anything, it is DRM that is illegal not the playing of music for personal use that you purchased. While DRM has not been outlawed yet, I expect it will be in the not too distant future with the impetus startin in Europe which has "Fair Use" laws which over-ride any restrictions the original seller placed upon the license.

Example - If MS were to sell an "OEM - Not for Resale" copy of Windows to a German company and a U.S. Company, the German company could legally resell that copy to anyone in the US because EU's "Fair Use" states that copy of Windows is their and they may resell it. The U.S. company, however, could not resell it due to less open "Fair Use" laws.

None of this is to suggest that uploading your files for sharing on the internet is fair use, but this is not what the poster asked.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I think he said that in an attempt to comment on the dumbness of today's DRM environment...

@OP
Any wireless network will do. Even possible with an ancient B - based hardware, but that's hardly any fun these days. My family had that setup (dialup, wireless network) for quite some time, and the only problem is you have to have the dialing up computer turned on when you wanna surf from the couch.

But if all you're doing is moving files about in your home, 802.11 G is the sweet spot as far as price, performance, and compatibility are concerned at the moment.

Almost-Human

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
We at THG do not condone file sharing MP3's as that is illegal. Please purchase 2 copies of DRM enabled music so both machines can play, which will eliminate your need for a network..

For the record all my MP3 are me singing Karaoke numbers.. Please feel free to contact me with requests ;)

CHEERS EVERYONE for the information..

NOW all I need is suggestions as to what NETWORK system to go for? I want something GOOD but not mad expensive. UP to £100 but prefer if its less :)

Any Ideas Please ???

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Tell that to all the companies that make karaoke machines :lol: If it's for personal use, there is no law against it. Same as making money. Print all the bills ya want as long as you have no intent to use it.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
U.S. Currency

The Counterfeit Detection Act of 1992, Public Law 102-550, in Section 411 of Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations, permits color illustrations of U.S. currency provided:
The illustration is of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of the item illustrated

The illustration is one-sided

All negatives, plates, positives, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof are destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use.

Other Obligations and Securities

Photographic or other likenesses of other United States obligations and securities and foreign currencies are permissible for any non-fraudulent purpose, provided the items are reproduced in black and white and are less than three-quarters or greater than one-and-one-half times the size, in linear dimension, of any part of the original item being reproduced. Negatives and plates used in making the likenesses must be destroyed after their use for the purpose for which they were made. This policy permits the use of currency reproductions in commercial advertisements, provided they conform to the size and color restrictions.

Motion picture films, microfilms, videotapes, and slides of paper currency, securities, and other obligations may be made in color or black and white for projection or telecasting. No prints may be made from these unless they conform to the size and color restrictions.

Clearly copied from http://www.secretservice.gov/money_illustrations.shtml

Oh? Can you please post the Code and Title of the Law pertaining to your understanding of the law?

Edit:
LOL Someone beat you to it.

Thanks for that. It clearly states that you can replicate currency without alteration beyond recognizability of legal tender.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
The fact that I'm not in jail would indicate otherwise. And that it happened in '93.

Edit: It was a prop for a school play and someone decided to "try their luck" at my expense, turns out he went to jail.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
While I believe whole hearted that it is illegal to produce your own money. I think if you aren't using the copies for fraud or to defraud someone I don't think many people are going to worry about it. Just my two cents though.

Almost-Human

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
LMAO..

The Karaoke tracks are from songs I composed !! ;)

NOW IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF GETTING BACK ON TOPIC ??

Any suggestions for a network solution under £100 that will allow me to stream my own MP3 and alllow me to send photos through the network to a printer ??
:roll:

Thanks for your time...

A-H