Sign in with
Your question

P180, Air Filtering and additional Water Cooling question.

Last response: in Components
February 26, 2007 4:26:25 PM

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats in a 120 year old farm-house. Air quality is usually pretty dusty in an old home with this this many animals.

I purchased a p180b and am wondering if there are any aftermarket
filters that can be placed on the rear intake (where there are a multitude
of holes)?

Additionally... a question about Water Cooling in a p180 case. 3 or 4 months from now, when I am comfortable about the GPU cooling options for an 8800 GTS, are the case fans useless in a water cooled environment?
February 27, 2007 12:51:10 AM

The P180 has a series of holes in the back to be part of the cooling, here is a link to their Cooling Demo. It's the first image (blue coming from rear).
February 27, 2007 12:57:06 AM

Best thing to do is just use a small piece of window screen or stretched panty hose. You could just cut a small rectangle and Scotch tape it there, remove and rinse when you want to clean and just use tape again to put it back on.
Related resources
February 27, 2007 1:42:45 AM

I had a similar problems with my last case. But these work really well and attach with four fans screws

120mm Fan Filter
February 27, 2007 1:54:36 AM

You could also cut one of those in half to use over the back intake vents. I just figured window screen and panty hose are probably accessible.
February 27, 2007 2:50:03 AM

use the foam that is used under mobos and duct tape - i do all the time

cut a nice rectangle to fit then tape around the edges with a thin strip 1/2" of duct tape - it blends in with grey steel looks fine

you just vaccum the intake side
February 27, 2007 2:54:54 AM

You still need the fans, unless of course you want to go Ionic Wind cooling, and risk electricuting yourself :twisted:
February 27, 2007 3:36:29 AM

Im pretty sure that I heard a while back that some company is trying to make a "Fan replacement" using this, one that wouldn't require a ground.
February 27, 2007 3:37:11 AM

Our business involves manufacturing with textiles so our offices also get pretty dusty.

So i use those green/red scotch scourers, yup like the ones ur wife/gf use cleans pots n pans wif :lol: 

They are petty cheap and u can cut/squeeze them to size. Depending on how dusty it gets u may need to clean them once a month or so, vacuuming them off works for me, u can also use 2 or more layers if ur paro abt dust.

EDIT:
Using foam, like from ur mobo, will filter dust well, but will also give VERY poor flow 9/10
February 27, 2007 12:12:24 PM

These have all been very good replies. Thank you, I will try some of them and see how it goes!
February 27, 2007 12:21:04 PM

As for the ionic, looks great, 0 noise is my goal, but I do have 1950s wiring :) 

Sadly, I have been working around computers for so long, any sound that comes from the case drives me insane. Recently, I got the 8800 GTS, beautiful card, I could only imagine how loud it would be if I removed the side panel off the p180.
February 27, 2007 12:59:29 PM

8) For filtering in areas which don't have case filter, I just use old (used) dryer softener sheets. If you like the smell, use new ones :?: :lol:  I don't know if the new ones would leave a chemical trace or not.
February 27, 2007 2:20:53 PM

you can also call Tempurpedic (the mattress company) they will send you a video and a 6 inch by 4 inch block of the foam the use in their mattresses for free, then all you gotta do is cut it into a really thin strip... works like a charm
March 4, 2007 8:45:47 AM

Quote:
i use those green/red scotch scourers, yup like the ones ur wife/gf use cleans pots n pans wif :lol: 

They are petty cheap and u can cut/squeeze them to size. Depending on how dusty it gets u may need to clean them once a month or so, vacuuming them off works for me

So these (and the suggestions from others) are attached externally via duct tape? Anyone care to post some pics?
March 4, 2007 10:58:44 PM

Then you can brag about how your air filter was"originally designed by NASA!" :lol: 
!