P180, Air Filtering and additional Water Cooling question.

skuzzy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I have 2 dogs and 2 cats in a 120 year old farm-house. Air quality is usually pretty dusty in an old home with this this many animals.

I purchased a p180b and am wondering if there are any aftermarket
filters that can be placed on the rear intake (where there are a multitude
of holes)?

Additionally... a question about Water Cooling in a p180 case. 3 or 4 months from now, when I am comfortable about the GPU cooling options for an 8800 GTS, are the case fans useless in a water cooled environment?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Best thing to do is just use a small piece of window screen or stretched panty hose. You could just cut a small rectangle and Scotch tape it there, remove and rinse when you want to clean and just use tape again to put it back on.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
You could also cut one of those in half to use over the back intake vents. I just figured window screen and panty hose are probably accessible.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
use the foam that is used under mobos and duct tape - i do all the time

cut a nice rectangle to fit then tape around the edges with a thin strip 1/2" of duct tape - it blends in with grey steel looks fine

you just vaccum the intake side

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Im pretty sure that I heard a while back that some company is trying to make a "Fan replacement" using this, one that wouldn't require a ground.

mrmez

Splendid
Our business involves manufacturing with textiles so our offices also get pretty dusty.

So i use those green/red scotch scourers, yup like the ones ur wife/gf use cleans pots n pans wif :lol:

They are petty cheap and u can cut/squeeze them to size. Depending on how dusty it gets u may need to clean them once a month or so, vacuuming them off works for me, u can also use 2 or more layers if ur paro abt dust.

EDIT:
Using foam, like from ur mobo, will filter dust well, but will also give VERY poor flow 9/10

skuzzy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
As for the ionic, looks great, 0 noise is my goal, but I do have 1950s wiring :)

Sadly, I have been working around computers for so long, any sound that comes from the case drives me insane. Recently, I got the 8800 GTS, beautiful card, I could only imagine how loud it would be if I removed the side panel off the p180.

ValueDriven

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
8) For filtering in areas which don't have case filter, I just use old (used) dryer softener sheets. If you like the smell, use new ones :?: :lol: I don't know if the new ones would leave a chemical trace or not.

mekender

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
you can also call Tempurpedic (the mattress company) they will send you a video and a 6 inch by 4 inch block of the foam the use in their mattresses for free, then all you gotta do is cut it into a really thin strip... works like a charm

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
i use those green/red scotch scourers, yup like the ones ur wife/gf use cleans pots n pans wif :lol:

They are petty cheap and u can cut/squeeze them to size. Depending on how dusty it gets u may need to clean them once a month or so, vacuuming them off works for me

So these (and the suggestions from others) are attached externally via duct tape? Anyone care to post some pics?