changing virtual drive causes operating sys not found error

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 23, 2004 8:48:30 PM

hi ya
I changed my win2000 virtual drive from c: to f: and
followed the restart option and now I recive an error on
boot that operating system not found. I belive that the
hard drives are not being reconized. I have lost my boot
disk and cannot figure out how to get around prob.
thanks
Shawn
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 10:17:58 PM

Try creating a boot floppy. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000
the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on an 2000
machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy),
then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it; and possibly
ntbootdd.sys. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the
machine you wish to boot.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional