Tuniq Tower 120 questions

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I have a few questions about the Tuniq 120 and was wondering if you guys could lend your expertise. I have a Silverstone TJ09 case with a EVGA 680I motherboard and was just wondering if I'll have any issues with mounting this cooler in my case with this board? If anyone has this setup and could give me a heads up on anything that would be great. Thanks in advance look forward to getting everthing set up.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
well, the case is 8,3 inches wide. It should fit, although almost touching the side window. Can't say anything about the motherboard.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Yeah after posting the question I was like maybe I should google it and try and get the info myself in case no one posts back. The size of it has me kinda worried I might just end up running at stock till I go water cooling would hate to get one and it not fit correctly. Thanks for the post.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Fitting in the case will be tight my case is 8" wide and touches the side panel. Honestly while the performance is the best mounting is a pain. The back screw are pretty hard to tighten. The performance is only a max of 4 or 5C better than my old Zalman 9500 which is far less hassle. As for overclocking in my case it doesn't allow me to clock any faster in case you wanted to know.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Ok I just found some post with people saying they mounted it in there with no problem. So I'll guess I'll bite the bullet and give it a shot. Wish me luck guys.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Fitting in the case will be tight my case is 8" wide and touches the side panel. Honestly while the performance is the best mounting is a pain. The back screw are pretty hard to tighten. The performance is only a max of 4 or 5C better than my old Zalman 9500 which is far less hassle. As for overclocking in my case it doesn't allow me to clock any faster in case you wanted to know.

Really I had read that the Tuniq was the best air cooler for OCing there was. I just want to make sure everything is cooled good. Is the fan in the Tuniq replaceable? I ordered 5 FM121 Silverstone fans to go in my TJ09 as sound is not a problem for me. So if I can take the stock fan off the Tuniq think I could get another FM121 to fit in there since they are both 120mm fans?

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Sure, if the MB is out of the case. I have a sliding MB trey and mounted it with the MB in the case. It wouldn't clear the back of the case.

glowinggreenlemming

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
when you go to install the tuniq tower make sure it does not hit anything on the back of the board. you might want to check the evga message boards for fixes or work arounds, i think on some boards it hits and some it does not.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
when you go to install the tuniq tower make sure it does not hit anything on the back of the board. you might want to check the evga message boards for fixes or work arounds, i think on some boards it hits and some it does not.

By hit what exactly do you mean like make sure it doesn't touch anything on the back at all? I know it's suppose to come with a back plate. So make sure the plate isn't touching anything that could short it right?

Sure, if the MB is out of the case. I have a sliding MB trey and mounted it with the MB in the case. It wouldn't clear the back of the case.

The TJ09 has a removable motherboard tray as well. So your saying that I should be able to change the stock fan out. Just make sure I have enough room to clear it correct?

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
By the way sorry for all the newb questions. I've just never used an after market cooler before always used stock fan. But I've been thinking of trying the Tuniq because of all the good stuff I've read about it. I've also been thinking of getting into water cooling but before I water cool this computer I'm goinig to Water cool my old system to get some practise in so I don't mess anything up. Thanks for all the advice.