usrclass.dat and roaming profiles

Ian

I posted a query last week about a problem I am having
with roaming profiles – the problem being that whenever a
user logs on to a PC on our network they haven’t used
before they get a message saying they need to install MS
Office 2000, despite the fact that it is already installed.

Having done a bit more investigation I’m pretty sure the
problem relates to the issue described here:

us;298960

However, I’ve made the changes necessary to get the
usrclass.dat file to roam and the problem is still
persisting. I’ve even tried manually copying and pasting
the relevant usrclass.dat file from one PC where a test
profile works to another where it doesn’t, and I’m still
getting the same problem.

I don’t know too much about what the userclass.dat file is
and how it works, so maybe I am missing something. Is
there another file which needs to roam as well, or does
some other updating need to happen to the file before it
roams?

Any help would be appreciated as this is really starting
to annoy me. Thanks.

When you get this message, MS Office is basically configuring the
users profile (creates files and folders on the users profile). Make
sure the user can access the office2k whether it be at a network share
or CD ROM

Phil Buendia
MSCE 2003