Tranfere files from old computer to new

I am not a savvy user. I just got a new computer running XP media. I want to
move my info form my old computer. I am reading about many diferent
scenerios. Can I do the F.A.S.T with the null cable?
4 answers Last reply
More about tranfere files computer

    Yes. Of course you must reinstall any programs they need.

    "Alavay" <Alavay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am not a savvy user. I just got a new computer running XP media. I want
    > move my info form my old computer. I am reading about many diferent
    > scenerios. Can I do the F.A.S.T with the null cable?

    Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

    List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

    Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Alavay" wrote:

    | I am not a savvy user. I just got a new computer running XP media. I want to
    | move my info form my old computer. I am reading about many diferent
    | scenerios. Can I do the F.A.S.T with the null cable?

    Alavay <Alavay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am not a savvy user. I just got a new computer running XP media. I want to
    >move my info form my old computer. I am reading about many diferent
    >scenerios. Can I do the F.A.S.T with the null cable?

    Using FASTW is certainly a good way of gathering up the files and of
    putting them into place on the new machine.

    However a "null cable" usually means a "null modem cable" that
    connects two computer by means of their serial ports. If there is any
    substantial volume of data to be transferred (e.g. more than 100
    megabtes) then this method will be excruciatingly slow, with the
    transfer time measured in hours or even days.

    There are other means of transferring the data gathered by FASTW which
    may be a bit more complex to implement but which are much faster at
    transferring the data. These other methods include:

    1, A parallel port data transfer cable (8 times the speed of a serial
    port cable). These would usually be referred to as "Laplink" cables,
    after the software that first used this type of connection. Note that
    "Laplink" cables come in both serial port (null modem) and parallel
    port versions.

    2. A USB to USB port data transfer cable, if your old computer is
    running at least Windows 98 SE and has USB ports. These are special
    cables and come with software as well.

    3. A simple two computer network, which requires network cards in both
    computers and a "crossover" RJ45 network cable. Also requires
    configuration of the network settings on both computers.

    4. After running FASTW on the old computer and saving the data in a
    file on that computer's hard drive you can remove the drive and
    temporarily install it as a second hard drive in the new computer.
    Then you can run FASTW to import the file contents. This requires
    some knowledge and ability with the installation of disk drives etc.
    as is not practicable if either (or both) computers are laptop models.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    "In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP"

    I'm thinking that he can transfer selectively. The templates would not take
    a lot of space and should fit a floppy, or at most a small part of a cd.

    > Alavay <Alavay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am not a savvy user. I just got a new computer running XP media. I want
    >>move my info form my old computer. I am reading about many diferent
    >>scenerios. Can I do the F.A.S.T with the null cable?
    >
    > Using FASTW is certainly a good way of gathering up the files and of
    > putting them into place on the new machine.
    >
    > However a "null cable" usually means a "null modem cable" that
    > connects two computer by means of their serial ports. If there is any
    > substantial volume of data to be transferred (e.g. more than 100
    > megabtes) then this method will be excruciatingly slow, with the
    > transfer time measured in hours or even days.
    >
    > There are other means of transferring the data gathered by FASTW which
    > may be a bit more complex to implement but which are much faster at
    > transferring the data. These other methods include:
    >
    > 1, A parallel port data transfer cable (8 times the speed of a serial
    > port cable). These would usually be referred to as "Laplink" cables,
    > after the software that first used this type of connection. Note that
    > "Laplink" cables come in both serial port (null modem) and parallel
    > port versions.
    >
    > 2. A USB to USB port data transfer cable, if your old computer is
    > running at least Windows 98 SE and has USB ports. These are special
    > cables and come with software as well.
    >
    > 3. A simple two computer network, which requires network cards in both
    > computers and a "crossover" RJ45 network cable. Also requires
    > configuration of the network settings on both computers.
    >
    > 4. After running FASTW on the old computer and saving the data in a
    > file on that computer's hard drive you can remove the drive and
    > temporarily install it as a second hard drive in the new computer.
    > Then you can run FASTW to import the file contents. This requires
    > some knowledge and ability with the installation of disk drives etc.
    > as is not practicable if either (or both) computers are laptop models.
    >

    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >
    > "In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP"

Computers Microsoft Windows XP