Network cable unplugged????

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 25, 2004 1:10:01 PM

I keep getting a message saying that the network cable is unplugged. It's
not, nor are there any problems with the switch, etc.. What else could be
causing this? I'm running Norton Antivirus, have latest service
packs/security updates, Zonealarm, and routinely run AdAware, Spybot, and
HiJackThis.

Any help???

Thanks!
Shawn
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 1:45:38 PM

I have the same message coming up related to a bluetooth adaptor so
I'd be interested in the answer to this too.

43fan wrote:

> I keep getting a message saying that the network cable is unplugged. It's
> not, nor are there any problems with the switch, etc.. What else could be
> causing this? I'm running Norton Antivirus, have latest service
> packs/security updates, Zonealarm, and routinely run AdAware, Spybot, and
> HiJackThis.
June 16, 2009 6:16:01 PM

I am getting the same message when I try to hook up to connect to my wireless router with an ethernet cable. The router is a friends that "has never worked right" so I am trying to update the firmware and reconfigure it. But I can't connect to it!

I have an inspiron 1720, which has never had a problem connecting to any other network. Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller network card.

The router is a Netgear wgt624 v3.

I have followed instructions on other pages and tried to connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable. I get nonstop alternating messages of "network cable unplugged" and "connected, firewalled" without touching a thing.

I have tried restarting everything. I have tried leaving the modem detached from the router. I have tried it with the modem connected. I have tried every ethernet hole on the router. I have tried assigning the IP address of the Local Area Connection to the router IP address (192.168.1.1), subnet mask (255.255.255.0). I left the default gateway blank.

Netgear was unhelpful when my friend called. Now the warranty ran out and they won't help unless we pay more, despite having never gotten real help in the first place.

Is there any way to update the firmware and reconfigure this thing?

Thanks
November 23, 2009 10:59:22 PM

I'm having the same problem with Windows 7, 64 bit. I'm using the newest realtek drivers for my on board nic on an EVGA x58 mobo. My problem is a little different though, as I'm using a router and switch. This just started a few days ago, first I thought it was my switch. Nic lights were off and no activity was taking place on the switch.. if I plug the cat5 straight from the router, I have instant activity and no problems. Sometimes if I change the port I'm using on the switch, it will mysteriously work. It's definitely NOT the switch since I've tested other devices in the same ports as the windows 7 computer. The switch is a Linksys 8 port gigabit.

The last thing I had installed before this problem started happening was Adobe CS3 suite.. I'm not sure if that's related. I'm going to try booting into safe mode with networking and see if it will work well with the switch.

I'm confused why I have activity while straight to the router and most of the time none (now) when connecting through the switch. Perhaps it's a matter of time before it stops seeing the router.
!