Converting extended partition to primary partition on Wind..

I would like to convert an extended partition to a primary
partition using Windows 2000. I'm doing this so I can
load Windows XP on the converted partition and have a dual
boot system. I loaded XP on the extended partition, but
everytime I boot up on 2000, it runs the check disk
routine on the extended partition and wipes out any
program or files that I worked on in XP before the
reboot. I figured if I convert the extended partition
first to a primary partition before reloading XP, this
problem of deleted files will be resolved. Has anyone
encountered this problem before and have tumbled into an
effective solution? Will appreciate any help you can give
me. Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about converting extended partition primary partition wind

    Ver

    There is no tool in Win2000 or XP that can convert a logical drive in an
    extended partition to a primary partition, except deleting and recreating
    the partition with Disk Management. Check with Partition Magic, or other
    third party vendors, for this kind of function.

    The question is why Win2000 needs to run chkdsk on your partition. Does it,
    by any chance, stretch over the 48-bit LBA limit, 128GB?

    Best regards

    Bjorn

    "Ver" <verzeny@juno.com> wrote:

    >I would like to convert an extended partition to a primary
    >partition using Windows 2000. I'm doing this so I can
    >load Windows XP on the converted partition and have a dual
    >boot system. I loaded XP on the extended partition, but
    >everytime I boot up on 2000, it runs the check disk
    >routine on the extended partition and wipes out any
    >program or files that I worked on in XP before the
    >reboot. I figured if I convert the extended partition
    >first to a primary partition before reloading XP, this
    >problem of deleted files will be resolved. Has anyone
    >encountered this problem before and have tumbled into an
    >effective solution? Will appreciate any help you can give
    >me. Thanks.

Partition Microsoft Windows XP Windows