How to get PIE to display Unicode correctly?

May 25, 2005 7:46:24 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know how I can get a page in Unicode (UTF-8) to display
correctly ie. with all the text coming out in the correct language? eg. for
this page http://www.trigeminal.com/samples/provincial.html to show all the
various languages? I'm getting squares for some of them. I tried copying
MingLiu.ttf (chinese support) to Windows\Font to try it out but the Chinese
words are still not showing.

Cheers,
Callista
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:46:25 PM

Callista,

I'm pretty sure you are running into a limit of PIE here but did you try a
soft-reset after you installed the font? It may need some, erm, help? to
use the font. ;-)

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Callista Chuah" <callista@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o v2gL3PYFHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how I can get a page in Unicode (UTF-8) to display
> correctly ie. with all the text coming out in the correct language? eg.
> for
> this page http://www.trigeminal.com/samples/provincial.html to show all
> the
> various languages? I'm getting squares for some of them. I tried copying
> MingLiu.ttf (chinese support) to Windows\Font to try it out but the
> Chinese
> words are still not showing.
>
> Cheers,
> Callista

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:46:26 PM

In article <eZW4bkSYFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com! <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote:

You need to fix your newsreader there, you seem to be top-posting....

>"Callista Chuah" <callista@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:o v2gL3PYFHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>
>> Does anyone know how I can get a page in Unicode (UTF-8) to display
>> correctly ie. with all the text coming out in the correct language? eg.
>> this page http://www.trigeminal.com/samples/provincial.html to show all
>> various languages? I'm getting squares for some of them. I tried copying
>> MingLiu.ttf (chinese support) to Windows\Font to try it out but the
>> Chinese words are still not showing.
>>
>I'm pretty sure you are running into a limit of PIE here but did you try a
>soft-reset after you installed the font? It may need some, erm, help? to
>use the font. ;-)

This isn't a limitation of IE so much as it is a limitation of IME.
English-language Pocket PC devices don't have the Asian-language input
method mechanisms installed by default. This wouldn't be a problem if IE
were an output-only application, but the fact that web pages may prompt
for input means that even under Windows CE, Internet Explorer will rely on
the installed IME components to tell it what's kosher to display. Even
worse, I don't think you can swap out the IME without swapping out the
entire system ROM image for another one from a different region.

I had a need to view Japanese web pages on my Pocket PC. The solution? I
went and bought a Japan-region device. The ROM image for Pocket PC devices
sold in Asia will include not only the appropriate fonts, but dictionary
files and in many cases even handwriting recognition code for Asian
lagnauges.

There was a rumor going around in international circles that Pocket PC
2003 would be region agnostic and allow the end-user to pick and choose
which IME components were installed, on the off-chance that a consumer in
Brazil needed Cyrillic character sets. As far as I know, you're stick with
the regional font and display settings you get and only have the option to
view foreign language fonts in the context of Pocket Word and Pocket
Excel, or in third party applications. A truly international device will
proabably show up right about the time when a Pocket PC hits the market
that's comfortable to use for left-handed people. Or maybe about the time
that the MIPS processor becomes part of the HCL again. :/

-KKC, whose device is a Casio E-750, if you must know. Fear my dual data
bus and non-Intel architecture. :)
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

>> you seem to be top-posting.... <<

Let's not go there please. This forum is, and has been, tolerant of any
method of posting that any poster wishes to use... the rules you quote
are woefully out of date and out of sync with modern news readers and
mobile devices.

In addition many people use pocketpc's to access this forum where full
quotes are a pain that become an impossibility attempting to read them
on a tiny screen.

Respectfully,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:30:44 AM

Reply to message from "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]"
<BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> (Wed, 25 May 2005 13:24:20) about "Re: How to get
PIE to display Unicode correctly?":

>>> you seem to be top-posting.... <<

> Let's not go there please. This forum is, and has been, tolerant of any
> method of posting that any poster wishes to use...
> the rules you quote are woefully out of date and out of sync with modern
> news readers and mobile devices.

Blasphemous to usenet! Common sense over convention, the shame of it.

(Um, good job! )
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 5:40:55 AM

I've always preferred top posting for readability myself (unless something
warrants an inline response to keep the logical flow correct).

Nothing is worse than having to scroll a mile, to get to two lines of
response. It makes reading the whole group easier.

message news:eUL3W6UYFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> you seem to be top-posting.... <<
>
> Let's not go there please. This forum is, and has been, tolerant of any
> method of posting that any poster wishes to use... the rules you quote are
> woefully out of date and out of sync with modern news readers and mobile
> devices.
>
> In addition many people use pocketpc's to access this forum where full
> quotes are a pain that become an impossibility attempting to read them on
> a tiny screen.
>
> Respectfully,
May 26, 2005 1:23:09 PM

In article <eUL3W6UYFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:
> >> you seem to be top-posting.... <<
>
>Let's not go there please. This forum is, and has been, tolerant of any
>method of posting that any poster wishes to use... the rules you quote
>are woefully out of date and out of sync with modern news readers and
>mobile devices.
>
>In addition many people use pocketpc's to access this forum where full
>quotes are a pain that become an impossibility attempting to read them
>on a tiny screen.
>
>Respectfully,
>Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

In the spirit of respectful disagreement, I understand that I'm in the
minority. But I consider top-posting extraordinarily rude and selfish.
It's the virtual equivalent of parking in the fire zone so you don't have
to walk an extra ten feet to get your groceries. It's convenience for one
person and inconvenience for many others. It's not a sin that'll cause
death and destruction, but it's a form of selfishness all the same.

You raise excellent points about progressing technology and tolerance. To
that, I have two responses; the choice of tools to read news is just that,
a personal choice. Until a major revision to the NNTP standards is
adopted, a Usenet post should be free of extraneous content and should be
easily viewable in any application. Second, I find it interesting that
you're attempting to correct my behavior to tell me that it's wrong to
correct others' behavior. To properly respect the right to top-post, one
should also respect the right to criticize that behavior.

To reiterate, everybody's free to do as they wish. If you want to include
a three meg image file in your signature and five-hundred X-headers
telling everybody your life story, that's your choice. But be prepared to
face criticism for your choices, just as I'm prepared to hear the usual
complaints when I ask people not to top-post.

Back on topic? I found an old link to a products that might help with the
display and viewing of Asian fonts on Pocket PC's:

Microcheng - http://www.enfour.com/news/win­ce.html

Hope that's helpful.

-KKC
--