Network printing

knapweed

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I want to set up a networked printer accessible by my 2 home computers. I have my eyes on a laserjet which is advertised network ready, connecting via ethernet. Am I correct in thinking I can simply plug the printer's ethernet cable into my wireless router and have either computer send jobs to the printer?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
...advertised network ready,...
I'm always suspicious of features advertised as "ready" instead of actually being there. You'd need to check the detailed specs for the printer to see what HP means by "network ready."

If they mean it has a functioning ethernet interface, then in addition to plugging in the printer, you'll need to determine its IP address (your router will probably assign this with its DHCP server, but, again, check your printer documentation). Then, knowing the IP address, you need to go to the Control Panel on each computer and add the printer.

You may want to assign the printer a fixed IP, just to prevent it from "disappearing".

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
The HP Printers connect to the computer via the print driver installed on each computer. I have currently 2 computers on my network, and 1 Ethernet/Wireles HP All-In-One printer. I tried to add printer through windows, and it wouldn't see the printer. I had to install the driver and the driver automatically found the network printer. You will have to do this on each computer, specifying how it is tied to the network. you really don't need a static IP, since the driver finds the printer by name every time.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I tried to add printer through windows, and it wouldn't see the printer.
That is very odd. If you know the IP of the device, I don't know why Windows could not "see" the printer if you enter that IP in the "add network printer" wizard.

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Dunno why it didn't work, but it was the same on 2 machines. when I went to add printer, then add over network, it wouldn't see it. i can only figure that it was something about how HP's driver sees the printer.

To the OP: if it has an ethernet port, and/or a wireless B/G connection, then buy the printer if it suits you, configure it on your network per the installation guide, run the install disc on your computers, and you're done.