Windows me to Windows 2000

ms

i have recently learnt (the hard way) that win me cannot
be upgraded to win 2000.

I tried it and I am stuck.

I opted the first option in the upgrade. Win 2K installed
all the components, devices etc. Then it gave a
message 'Performing Final steps". It completed the first
two steps - Installs Start menu items and Registers
components. It does not complete the third step - Upgrades
program and system settings. Half way through the process,
it abandons, boots the system from the HD and goes through
the installation process again until it comes to the third
step of the final task. It goes through this loop and does
not end.

What are my options? I would like to save my data, which i
did not back up, like I should have done.

Please help.

Boot from W2k CD, start setup over, perform new installation, and leave the
partitions intact. It would install W2k into \winnt directory (WinME was
installed in \windows by default). You have to reinstall the applications
after setup.

ms

well that means that i will lose all my data too, correct?
which i have not backed up. any other solution

thanks

Well as I mentioned "leave the partitions intact", i.e. do not delete or
format them during setup. BTW, you can use W98/Me boot diskette to access
the data and rename Docs&Settings or copy it to another partition just for
redundancy if you haven't converted to NTFS yet.

thanks a lot

just read your post, was offline for a few days during
which i installed win 2000 on the d partition without
changing the file system, ie..win 2000 on fat32, seems
fine can see all my stuff on c drive and now whenever it
boots sees both win 2000 as separate OS's.
anyways now all i want to do is to remove the previous
incomplete win 200 installation and i will be fine

Thanks a lot for your advice
Ms

You're welcome.
As to duplicate lines in a boot loader menu, just edit hidden system
boot.ini file. Change [default] to ...partition(2) and delete from
[operating system] the ...partition(1) line.
I would reinstall Windows one more time onto partition(1).