STOP Error

I imported a wrong registry file, which belongs to another server, on my
2000 server by accidentally. Then, when rebooting the server, i got
"INACCESSABE DEVICE" error at the start up. what should i do? any advice?

oops :)

How did you import? Via Recovery console? In regedit/regedt32? Did you
rename the original .old or .bak? Or Export a backup first? Please provide
more specifics about the exact steps you went though, & provide some more
detail.

Regards,
--
Mark R. Wilson, MCSA/MCSE i-Net+/Security+
Enterprise Platform Support

"Bachlan Pham" <bachlan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I imported a wrong registry file, which belongs to another server, on my
> 2000 server by accidentally. Then, when rebooting the server, i got
> "INACCESSABE DEVICE" error at the start up. what should i do? any advice?

Bachlan

I would try the "Last Known Good" option. You get this possibility if you
press F8 as soon as the boot menu is shown.

Best regards

Bjorn

"Bachlan Pham" <bachlan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I imported a wrong registry file, which belongs to another server, on my
>2000 server by accidentally. Then, when rebooting the server, i got
>"INACCESSABE DEVICE" error at the start up. what should i do? any advice?

I imported the file via regedit without backing the original file up. My
intension was just to view the file. Then, i realized that i made a mistake,
It ovewrote the orignal file. Then i rebooted the server and got the Stop
error: "INACCESSIBAL_BOOT_DEVICE" (0xF201B848, 0xC0000034,
0x00000000,0x00000000.) Also, I did use either a Recovery Console or
parallel installation of Windows 2000 method. However, they don't work. the
Stop error still exist with Recorery Console method. Also, when I tried to
do parallel instalation, the server said it could not find the hard disk.
Please help. I am just a beginner in this field.

Thanks and regards,

-Bachlan,

"Mark Wilson [MSFT]" <a-marwil@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> oops :)
>
> How did you import? Via Recovery console? In regedit/regedt32? Did you
> rename the original .old or .bak? Or Export a backup first? Please provide
> more specifics about the exact steps you went though, & provide some more
> detail.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mark R. Wilson, MCSA/MCSE i-Net+/Security+
> Enterprise Platform Support
> Server Setup

rights.

> "Bachlan Pham" <bachlan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I imported a wrong registry file, which belongs to another server, on my
> > 2000 server by accidentally. Then, when rebooting the server, i got
> > "INACCESSABE DEVICE" error at the start up. what should i do? any
advice?

I did try and it did not work either. I mean the Stop error still exists:
"Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF201F848, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Other advices would be appricated.

Thanks and Regards,

-Bachlan,

"Bjorn Landemoo" <mvp2.REMOVE@landemoo.com> wrote in message
> Bachlan
>
> I would try the "Last Known Good" option. You get this possibility if you
> press F8 as soon as the boot menu is shown.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bjorn
> --
> Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
>
> "Bachlan Pham" <bachlan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I imported a wrong registry file, which belongs to another server, on my
> >2000 server by accidentally. Then, when rebooting the server, i got
> >"INACCESSABE DEVICE" error at the start up. what should i do? any advice?

Ok, it sounds like you are going to be redoing some things.... I'm not sure
what you are referring to when you say "Recorery Console method", but it
does not sound like you are talking about hives, as you should be able to
get in there, at least by using your original hives (in
%systemroot%\Repair).

IF you have use NTBackup to backup the System State it will create a folder
in %systemroot%\Repair\Regback & create a backup of your hives. If you have
a recent copy of your system hive in there & have not made any major system
changes/program installs you can copy it to %systemroot%\Config (copy all
five hives in this process, keep them together) & boot so you can at least
get your data off & rebuild the server.

Part one of this article can walk you through moving these hives around,
just remember to use "winnt" instead of "windows" in your navigation.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

The issue you are probably having w/ the parallel install is likely due to
Win2K setup not having an inbox driver for your disk controller. Just obtian
a driver from the manufacturer of you disk controller, put it on a floppy, &
during the very first part of setup hit F6 when prompted to provide a driver
for Mass Storage Controllers. This should get your parallel install
installed, then you can get your data off. You could also copy the contents
of the parallel installs winntback (or whatever you named it) to your
preivous installs winnt folder. However that all depends on how much you
will lose... most of the time either of these processess just get you in to
get your data so you can rebuild.

Good luck!
Mark

--

> I imported the file via regedit without backing the original file up. My
> intension was just to view the file. Then, i realized that i made a
mistake,
> It ovewrote the orignal file. Then i rebooted the server and got the Stop
> error: "INACCESSIBAL_BOOT_DEVICE" (0xF201B848, 0xC0000034,
> 0x00000000,0x00000000.) Also, I did use either a Recovery Console or
> parallel installation of Windows 2000 method. However, they don't work.
the
> Stop error still exist with Recorery Console method. Also, when I tried to
> do parallel instalation, the server said it could not find the hard disk.
> Please help. I am just a beginner in this field.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> -Bachlan,
>
> "Mark Wilson [MSFT]" <a-marwil@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > oops :)
> >
> > How did you import? Via Recovery console? In regedit/regedt32? Did you
> > rename the original .old or .bak? Or Export a backup first? Please
provide
> > more specifics about the exact steps you went though, & provide some
more
> > detail.
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Mark R. Wilson, MCSA/MCSE i-Net+/Security+
> > Enterprise Platform Support
> > Server Setup

> rights.
> >
> > "Bachlan Pham" <bachlan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I imported a wrong registry file, which belongs to another server, on
my
> > > 2000 server by accidentally. Then, when rebooting the server, i got
> > > "INACCESSABE DEVICE" error at the start up. what should i do? any
> advice?

ADDENDUM:

The information in this paragraph has been changed from my previous post...
you would NOT have to rebuild under these circumstances.

IF you have used NTBackup to backup the System State it will create a folder