Renaming Groups of Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hope this is not off-topic in this group ... if it is, perhaps
someone could point me to the right place.

I want to rename batches of files (digital camera images) that have
filenames in a series such as:

DSCN0669.jpg, DSCN0670.jpg, DSCN0671.jpg etc,

to something more meaningful such as:

Flower-0669.jpg, Flower-0670.jpg, Flower-0671.jpg etc

i.e. retaining the original serialising part but changing the constant
part of each filename.

Is there a way to do this in Win2K as a group rather than editing each
filename individually?

Easiest way I can think of would be to make a batch file
You'd make a batch file that has this inside of it:

COPY DSCN*.* FLOWER-*.*

Save the file and run it from within the directory that contains the files
you want renamed and you'll be off to the races.

Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will not
be delivered.

"WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
:I Hope this is not off-topic in this group ... if it is, perhaps
: someone could point me to the right place.
:
:
: I want to rename batches of files (digital camera images) that have
: filenames in a series such as:
:
: DSCN0669.jpg, DSCN0670.jpg, DSCN0671.jpg etc,
:
: to something more meaningful such as:
:
: Flower-0669.jpg, Flower-0670.jpg, Flower-0671.jpg etc
:
: i.e. retaining the original serialising part but changing the constant
: part of each filename.
:
:
: Is there a way to do this in Win2K as a group rather than editing each
: filename individually?

Thanks for the response, Sean. I did try using REN in a command window
in a similar fashion to rename the files. Unfortunately it appears to
be restricted to 8.3 filenames (at least no combination of quoted or
unquoted strings that I tried would work otherwise for me. I imagine
the COPY command would have the same restriction and it's pretty
limiting.

However .... meantime I dug around a bit and found a beautiful
freeware Windows utility called "Bulk Rename Utility" (
http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Site/Software/BRU_Intro.php if anyone's
interested. It does everything I want and a whole lot more. Very
ingeneous altogether. So my problem is solved.

Thanks again.

"Sean Dwyer[MSFT]" wrote:

> Easiest way I can think of would be to make a batch file
> You'd make a batch file that has this inside of it:
>
> COPY DSCN*.* FLOWER-*.*
>
> Save the file and run it from within the directory that contains the files
> you want renamed and you'll be off to the races.

> Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will not
> be delivered.
>
> "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> :I Hope this is not off-topic in this group ... if it is, perhaps
> : someone could point me to the right place.
> :
> :
> : I want to rename batches of files (digital camera images) that have
> : filenames in a series such as:
> :
> : DSCN0669.jpg, DSCN0670.jpg, DSCN0671.jpg etc,
> :
> : to something more meaningful such as:
> :
> : Flower-0669.jpg, Flower-0670.jpg, Flower-0671.jpg etc
> :
> : i.e. retaining the original serialising part but changing the constant
> : part of each filename.
> :
> :
> : Is there a way to do this in Win2K as a group rather than editing each
> : filename individually?

Very welcome. From the example you gave I assumed we were dealing with short
names - sorry about that.

I have used that tool myself in the past and it worked like a champ. Have a
good holiday!

: Thanks for the response, Sean. I did try using REN in a command window
: in a similar fashion to rename the files. Unfortunately it appears to
: be restricted to 8.3 filenames (at least no combination of quoted or
: unquoted strings that I tried would work otherwise for me. I imagine
: the COPY command would have the same restriction and it's pretty
: limiting.
:
: However .... meantime I dug around a bit and found a beautiful
: freeware Windows utility called "Bulk Rename Utility" (
: http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Site/Software/BRU_Intro.php if anyone's
: interested. It does everything I want and a whole lot more. Very
: ingeneous altogether. So my problem is solved.
:
: Thanks again.
:
: "Sean Dwyer[MSFT]" wrote:
: >
: > Easiest way I can think of would be to make a batch file
: > You'd make a batch file that has this inside of it:
: >
: > COPY DSCN*.* FLOWER-*.*
: >
: > Save the file and run it from within the directory that contains the
files
: > you want renamed and you'll be off to the races.
: >
: > --
: > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
: > Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will
not
: > be delivered.
: >
: > "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: > news:40B53135.9D039841@hotmail.com...
: > :I Hope this is not off-topic in this group ... if it is, perhaps
: > : someone could point me to the right place.
: > :
: > :