Problems with Direct Ethernet Connection from Pocket PC (i..

May 25, 2005 2:48:10 PM

Hi

I am having problems performing a direct ethernet connection from the Pocket
PC to a Windows 2000 machine.

I know that there is a compatibility issues with Windows 98 to 2000 and
thought maybe this is the case also with Pocket PC???

Whenever it tries to connect, it just says that it can't find server.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!!!!

Many thanks

Deborah
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:48:11 PM

Couple of questions to help us out.
1) What do you mean by direct connection? cable from PPC to PC? is it a
cross-over cable? or do you have a hub/switch in the mix?
2) How are you assigning IP addresses to the PPC.
3) Do you have resources shared on the W2K machine to connected to? folder
shared?
4) how are you trying to access that share? built in file explorer? typing
\\mypc\sharedfolder ?
5) what PPC and what network card.

PPC to W2K machine does work, just a matter of getting everything set right

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Deborah Finn" <deborah@acic.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am having problems performing a direct ethernet connection from the
> Pocket
> PC to a Windows 2000 machine.
>
> I know that there is a compatibility issues with Windows 98 to 2000 and
> thought maybe this is the case also with Pocket PC???
>
> Whenever it tries to connect, it just says that it can't find server.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!!!!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Deborah

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 6:30:19 PM

Hi

Thanks for your response!..

Here are your answers (apologies, I probably should have put them in the
original email)/......

> 1) What do you mean by direct connection? cable from PPC to PC? is it a
> cross-over cable? or do you have a hub/switch in the mix?

I am using a socket ethernet card with a cross over cable directly into the
windows 2000 machine

> 2) How are you assigning IP addresses to the PPC.

The Pocket Pc for the ethernet card has the IP addresses assigned
dynamically through DHCP.

> 3) Do you have resources shared on the W2K machine to connected to? folder
> shared?

The folder is shared on the W2K machine - but it doesn't even get that far -
just says that it can't find it.

> 4) how are you trying to access that share? built in file explorer? typing
> \\mypc\sharedfolder ?

I go to file explorer and click on the open and type in \\portable\logger
(that is the address path for the machine and the shared directory)

> 5) what PPC and what network card.

I am using a iPAQ Pocket PC h2200 series. The ethernet card is a Socket
Ethernet card.

I have not set up any connections or anything like that, have just done what
is listed above.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it - I am currently tearing my hear out
over it!!

Kind Regards

Deborah

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Couple of questions to help us out.
> 1) What do you mean by direct connection? cable from PPC to PC? is it a
> cross-over cable? or do you have a hub/switch in the mix?
> 2) How are you assigning IP addresses to the PPC.
> 3) Do you have resources shared on the W2K machine to connected to? folder
> shared?
> 4) how are you trying to access that share? built in file explorer? typing
> \\mypc\sharedfolder ?
> 5) what PPC and what network card.
>
> PPC to W2K machine does work, just a matter of getting everything set
right

> --
> Sven
> MVP - Mobile Devices
> "Deborah Finn" <deborah@acic.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am having problems performing a direct ethernet connection from the
> > Pocket
> > PC to a Windows 2000 machine.
> >
> > I know that there is a compatibility issues with Windows 98 to 2000 and
> > thought maybe this is the case also with Pocket PC???
> >
> > Whenever it tries to connect, it just says that it can't find server.
> >
> > Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!!!!
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Deborah

May 25, 2005 6:30:20 PM

>> The Pocket Pc for the ethernet card has the IP addresses assigned
dynamically through DHCP. <<

The pocketpc card nor the os assigns a dhcp ip address... it is likely
that you are getting a "default ip" that is not usable for accessing
other network resources... what is that ip? something like 169...?

See http://BevHoward.com/NetWk.htm
specifically, http://BevHoward.com/NetWk.htm#TroubleShoot

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:54:01 AM

Hopefully Bev's stuff got you going and I see you got some similar advice
elsewhere. The key is that you need to assign static IPs, as nothing in your
listed setup would be assigning them correctly. You get one when you are set
for DHCP, and there is no DHCP server available because the machine just
makes one up to allow other things to work. This is called IPIPA and will be
in the 169.254.x.x range. If both the machines have addresses in that range,
and differ in the last two octets (x.x) and the subnet masks are 255.255.0.0
it actually should work.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices