Command prompt and wild cards

I have a need to find all files in a directory where the file name is 11
chars, and the extension is 3 chars ending with an M. I have tried the
following:

dir ???????????.??M /s

Also have tried going from the opposite way, finding all 8.3 files and then
just subtracting from the total count, like so:

dir ????????.??M /s

However it appears that the wild cards operate on the 8.3 formats of the
files as well, so both options return me ALL the files in the directory.
Installing something on the machine or changing the registry is out.

Anyone know of a way to get all the files I need using DIR?

Wayne

I think that you will find that the * is the wildcard character (top right
of the number pad..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Wayne" <MeNotYou@community.nospam> wrote in message
>I have a need to find all files in a directory where the file name is 11
> chars, and the extension is 3 chars ending with an M. I have tried the
> following:
>
> dir ???????????.??M /s
>

> Also have tried going from the opposite way, finding all 8.3 files and
> then
> just subtracting from the total count, like so:
>

> dir ????????.??M /s
>

> However it appears that the wild cards operate on the 8.3 formats of the
> files as well, so both options return me ALL the files in the directory.
> Installing something on the machine or changing the registry is out.
>

> Anyone know of a way to get all the files I need using DIR?

Mike, he is trying to limit to files with exactly 8 characters before the
period and exactly three ending in M after.

> Wayne
>
> I think that you will find that the * is the wildcard character (top
> right of the number pad..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Wayne" <MeNotYou@community.nospam> wrote in message
>>I have a need to find all files in a directory where the file name is 11
>> chars, and the extension is 3 chars ending with an M. I have tried the
>> following:
>>
>> dir ???????????.??M /s
>>

>> Also have tried going from the opposite way, finding all 8.3 files and
>> then
>> just subtracting from the total count, like so:
>>

>> dir ????????.??M /s
>>

>> However it appears that the wild cards operate on the 8.3 formats of the
>> files as well, so both options return me ALL the files in the directory.
>> Installing something on the machine or changing the registry is out.
>>

>> Anyone know of a way to get all the files I need using DIR?

Colin

I think that he wants 11 characters.. but that is immaterial.. that command
as typed will not run in the RUN box,

If run in Command Prompt brings up all files where the extension ends in M
regardless of how many characters are in the name.. when changed to just one
? or *, the same results are shown..

In Windows Explorer, the command works with one wildcard character before
the .**M or ??M just as it does in CP, but any more than that sends explorer
into a search loop from which the only recovery option is to close the
window..

It has me beat for sure.. any ideas?

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Mike, he is trying to limit to files with exactly 8 characters before the
> period and exactly three ending in M after.

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Wayne
>>
>> I think that you will find that the * is the wildcard character (top
>> right of the number pad..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Wayne" <MeNotYou@community.nospam> wrote in message
>>>I have a need to find all files in a directory where the file name is 11
>>> chars, and the extension is 3 chars ending with an M. I have tried the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> dir ???????????.??M /s
>>>

>>> Also have tried going from the opposite way, finding all 8.3 files and
>>> then
>>> just subtracting from the total count, like so:
>>>

>>> dir ????????.??M /s
>>>

>>> However it appears that the wild cards operate on the 8.3 formats of the
>>> files as well, so both options return me ALL the files in the directory.
>>> Installing something on the machine or changing the registry is out.
>>>

>>> Anyone know of a way to get all the files I need using DIR?

No. I was just observing why he was trying eight ?s instead of some
combination with *. Perhaps there is a third party search tool that can do
it.

> Colin
>
> I think that he wants 11 characters.. but that is immaterial.. that
> command as typed will not run in the RUN box,
>
> If run in Command Prompt brings up all files where the extension ends in M
> regardless of how many characters are in the name.. when changed to just
> one ? or *, the same results are shown..
>
> In Windows Explorer, the command works with one wildcard character before
> the .**M or ??M just as it does in CP, but any more than that sends
> explorer into a search loop from which the only recovery option is to
> close the window..
>
> It has me beat for sure.. any ideas?
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>> Mike, he is trying to limit to files with exactly 8 characters before the
>> period and exactly three ending in M after.
>>
>> --
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Wayne
>>>
>>> I think that you will find that the * is the wildcard character (top
>>> right of the number pad..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Wayne" <MeNotYou@community.nospam> wrote in message

Colin

In DOS or the CP, eight characters plus the extension is as good as it gets
anyway.. maybe the OP will return and explain more what he is trying to
achieve and why.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> No. I was just observing why he was trying eight ?s instead of some
> combination with *. Perhaps there is a third party search tool that can
> do it.

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Colin
>>
>> I think that he wants 11 characters.. but that is immaterial.. that
>> command as typed will not run in the RUN box,
>>
>> If run in Command Prompt brings up all files where the extension ends in
>> M regardless of how many characters are in the name.. when changed to
>> just one ? or *, the same results are shown..
>>
>> In Windows Explorer, the command works with one wildcard character before
>> the .**M or ??M just as it does in CP, but any more than that sends
>> explorer into a search loop from which the only recovery option is to
>> close the window..
>>
>> It has me beat for sure.. any ideas?
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Mike, he is trying to limit to files with exactly 8 characters before
>>> the period and exactly three ending in M after.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

I didn't mean to get into it anyway. Sorry about that. :)

> Colin
>
> In DOS or the CP, eight characters plus the extension is as good as it
> gets anyway.. maybe the OP will return and explain more what he is trying
> to achieve and why.. :)
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>> No. I was just observing why he was trying eight ?s instead of some
>> combination with *. Perhaps there is a third party search tool that can
>> do it.
>>
>> --
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Colin
>>>
>>> I think that he wants 11 characters.. but that is immaterial.. that
>>> command as typed will not run in the RUN box,
>>>
>>> If run in Command Prompt brings up all files where the extension ends in
>>> M regardless of how many characters are in the name.. when changed to
>>> just one ? or *, the same results are shown..
>>>
>>> In Windows Explorer, the command works with one wildcard character
>>> before the .**M or ??M just as it does in CP, but any more than that
>>> sends explorer into a search loop from which the only recovery option is
>>> to close the window..
>>>
>>> It has me beat for sure.. any ideas?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

Colin

You can't desert a sinking ship so easily.. move over.. we'll take an oar
each.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>I didn't mean to get into it anyway. Sorry about that. :)

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Colin
>>
>> In DOS or the CP, eight characters plus the extension is as good as it
>> gets anyway.. maybe the OP will return and explain more what he is trying
>> to achieve and why.. :)
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> No. I was just observing why he was trying eight ?s instead of some
>>> combination with *. Perhaps there is a third party search tool that can
>>> do it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Splash....splash....splash....... <g>

> Colin
>
> You can't desert a sinking ship so easily.. move over.. we'll take an oar
> each.. :)
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>>I didn't mean to get into it anyway. Sorry about that. :)
>>
>> --
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Colin
>>>
>>> In DOS or the CP, eight characters plus the extension is as good as it
>>> gets anyway.. maybe the OP will return and explain more what he is
>>> trying to achieve and why.. :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OaAn01qJFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> had this to say:

> Splash....splash....splash....... <g>
>
>> Colin

I'm not going to get into the boat with you two, there's just something
about three men in a tub that I find disturbing. Anyhow, perhaps a GREP tool
for Windows will suit the OP's needs should they ever return and comment
about it? There's about a billion and three (or more) freeware versions to
pick from. Some even have GUIs with advanced features such as those perhaps?

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=grep+for+windows+freeware

Galen

What the hay. I'll make it four. :)

Scripting is about the only way out of the box with command line tools,
although ????????.??m works correctly via explorer search.

Not sure what issue Mike had in explorer but it just located 424 files on my
C: drive perfectly fine.

--
Walter Clayton

> In news:OaAn01qJFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> had this to say:

>> Splash....splash....splash....... <g>
>>
>>> Colin
>
> I'm not going to get into the boat with you two, there's just something
> about three men in a tub that I find disturbing. Anyhow, perhaps a GREP
> tool for Windows will suit the OP's needs should they ever return and
> comment about it? There's about a billion and three (or more) freeware
> versions to pick from. Some even have GUIs with advanced features such as
> those perhaps?
>
> http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=grep+for+windows+freeware
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

The butcher, the baker, the B-Tree maker.

"Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
> What the hay. I'll make it four. :)
>
> Scripting is about the only way out of the box with command line tools,
> although ????????.??m works correctly via explorer search.
>
> Not sure what issue Mike had in explorer but it just located 424 files on
> my C: drive perfectly fine.
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In news:OaAn01qJFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> had this to say:

>>> Splash....splash....splash....... <g>

>> I'm not going to get into the boat with you two, there's just something
>> about three men in a tub that I find disturbing. Anyhow, perhaps a GREP
>> tool for Windows will suit the OP's needs should they ever return and
>> comment about it? There's about a billion and three (or more) freeware
>> versions to pick from. Some even have GUIs with advanced features such as
>> those perhaps?
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=grep+for+windows+freeware
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
>> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

B-Tree? B-Tree? Yes, SQL would work as expected. ;-)

--
Walter Clayton

In news:udfIo6rJFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> had this to say:

> .. and if you think that it ends here, forget it, because I have some
> soup stained 5.25 floppies with GemWrite files on them and MS Word
> 2003 won't read them.. I folded them all neatly into sizes that
> fitted the floppy drive on the front part which has all but not
> worked anyway since I put SP2 on, which I didn't need because
> somebody told me I didn't..

I still have working Zork on 5 1/4" drives still. It's for my TRS 80 II...
Greatest game to ever come across my desktop except, maybe, Fallout and
Fallout II...

Galen