Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Scan slides

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:50:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hello,

Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only please?
Thank you very much indeed.

Sincerely yours,

Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
Ph.D. Candidate
Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
Virginia Tech
Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia Mecatrônica -
PUC/RS

More about : scan slides

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:50:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

It's not software only that you, but the hardware itself.

Unfortunately slides are a dieing media and the options are dwindling. Best
I can do for the moment is
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=slide+scanner
For example
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Nikon_Coolscan_IV_ED_Film...
which I picked on as an example since it was the first I located that was
still available.

--
Walter Clayton
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.


"André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos" <andreltramos@terra.com.br> wrote in message
news:uszlwUpJFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
> slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only
> please? Thank you very much indeed.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
> Virginia Tech
> Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia Mecatrônica -
> PUC/RS
>
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:50:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Andre

Both HP and Canon produce flatbed scanners that can copy slides..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm





"André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos" <andreltramos@terra.com.br> wrote in message
news:uszlwUpJFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
> slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only
> please? Thank you very much indeed.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
> Virginia Tech
> Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia Mecatrônica -
> PUC/RS
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:50:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You will need an attachment for a scanner to do this. I have a low end
Cannon Canoscan 3000F that works very well. However it can be time
consuming. The scanner comes with the required software. Take a look here
http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--422,keywor...

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos" <andreltramos@terra.com.br> wrote in message
news:uszlwUpJFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
> slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only
please?
> Thank you very much indeed.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
> Virginia Tech
> Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia Mecatrônica -
> PUC/RS
>
>
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:50:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Walter

Slides/transparencies are still the preferred format for photo libraries re.
35mm..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm





"Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
news:eP$TafpJFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It's not software only that you, but the hardware itself.
>
> Unfortunately slides are a dieing media and the options are dwindling.
> Best I can do for the moment is
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=slide+scanner
> For example
> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Nikon_Coolscan_IV_ED_Film...
> which I picked on as an example since it was the first I located that was
> still available.
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>
>
> "André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos" <andreltramos@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> news:uszlwUpJFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
>> slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only
>> please? Thank you very much indeed.
>>
>> Sincerely yours,
>>
>> Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
>> Ph.D. Candidate
>> Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
>> Virginia Tech
>> Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia Mecatrônica -
>> PUC/RS
>>
>
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:40:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Harry

These are cool..

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDe...

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm





"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
news:%23pkjxrqJFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You will need an attachment for a scanner to do this. I have a low end
> Cannon Canoscan 3000F that works very well. However it can be time
> consuming. The scanner comes with the required software. Take a look here
> http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--422,keywor...
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>
>
> "André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos" <andreltramos@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> news:uszlwUpJFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
>> slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only
> please?
>> Thank you very much indeed.
>>
>> Sincerely yours,
>>
>> Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
>> Ph.D. Candidate
>> Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
>> Virginia Tech
>> Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia Mecatrônica -
>> PUC/RS
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:27:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

My HP 6200 scanner came with some software called PrecisionPro (by HP) that
can scan slides in their mountings. On the first pass one sees the whole
scanner surface (about 11x14 inches). One then marks the area of interest,
in this case one slide (about 1.3x1.3 inches). The software then shows that
smaller area on the whole PC screen. One fine-tunes the boundaries to match
the slide, then presses the save file as button. This is not the sort of
software one would use for mass conversion of slides to files, but it does
work.

However, I feel that the software is less important than the hardware, since
the 1200x1200 dpi limit of my scanner makes only fair images from slides.
The scanner uses a couple of small mirrors at right angles to each other and
at 45 degrees to the surface of the scanner to get an image form the slides.
The light bounces up thorugh the scanner glss, off both mirrors, then down
thorugh the slide onto the scanner active element. There are better
scanners intended only for slides, or, there are flat-bed scanners with
slide insert holders. In any event, try for at least 2400x2400 dpi, or more
if you can afford it.

As for software in general, PaintShopPro can take images from a scanner, and
Adobe Photoshop probably can as well. One might have to "play" at bit to
get only the slide, not the whole scanner surface, but I am sure that it is
possible. Microssoft Photo Editor (free with XP) can also take an image
drirectly form a scanner.

"André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos" <andreltramos@terra.com.br> wrote in message
news:uszlwUpJFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
> slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only
> please? Thank you very much indeed.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
> Virginia Tech
> Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia Mecatrônica -
> PUC/RS
>
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:33:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Mike that is nearly the same as mine.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:%23eziZzqJFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Harry
>
> These are cool..
>
>
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDe...
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>
>
>
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> news:%23pkjxrqJFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > You will need an attachment for a scanner to do this. I have a low end
> > Cannon Canoscan 3000F that works very well. However it can be time
> > consuming. The scanner comes with the required software. Take a look
here
> >
http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--422,keywor...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >
> >
> > "André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos" <andreltramos@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> > news:uszlwUpJFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
> >> slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only
> > please?
> >> Thank you very much indeed.
> >>
> >> Sincerely yours,
> >>
> >> Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
> >> Ph.D. Candidate
> >> Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
> >> Virginia Tech
> >> Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia
Mecatrônica -
> >> PUC/RS
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:49:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:50:54 -0300, "André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos"
<andreltramos@terra.com.br> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
>slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only please?
>Thank you very much indeed

Hi
I scan my slides by using a Minolta Dual Scan. The software
comes with the scanner so what you need to be looking at is obtaining a
suitable scanner. The model that I have only deals with 35mm but can
scan slides in their mounts, slides in a strip or negatives in a strip.
I use an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo to scan my medium format slides. If
you need any further input, please contact me either through this group
or by e-mail. Scanning slides remains the best way to use digital
photography and produce really high definition prints.

Ian

--
Ian Pollard//Wooler//Northumberland//UK
m0flc@yahoo.co.uk
March 12, 2005 3:57:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Also EpsonPerfection.
I have excellent results from mine, all types of slides plus B/W large old
negs.

--

johnf

> Andre
>
> Both HP and Canon produce flatbed scanners that can copy slides..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>
>
>
>
> "André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos" <andreltramos@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> news:uszlwUpJFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Could anyone let me know the name of a software that allows me to scan
>> slides which are in their original mounting instead of the film only
>> please? Thank you very much indeed.
>>
>> Sincerely yours,
>>
>> Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
>> Ph.D. Candidate
>> Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
>> Virginia Tech
>> Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia
>> Mecatrônica - PUC/RS
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:15:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

My AGFA Arcus II does a great job-& it's for sale.

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> Mike that is nearly the same as mine.
>
!