PJMcFatty

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I'm a newb looking to build my own system. Been doing a lot of reading on How To and reviews of different components. Asus's P5N-E SLI seems like a great MoBo but my question is should I get an SLI board if I'm not planning on using dual graphics cards?

Also, is it worth it to use dual graphics cards on this board since it will lower the PCI slots to 8x?

Thanks in advance.

bpatters55

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
If you are not planing to use SLI then I would not recommend getting a motherboard that supports SLI. Althought the chipset seems to be doing better with the recent BIOS revisions, it still sounds like there are some problems for some users. Check out the EVGA boards and see what the write ups are on their NVidia 680 board. Some scar stuff in there. You must also consider that there are a bunch of users who have had no probelms and you do not hear from them.

I was considering SLI at first as well but I shyed away from the technology due to what I had read about the chipset problems. I ended up going with the Asus P5W which supports crossfire should I choose to use dual graphics. The board and most of the 975 chipset boards are stable and mature. Just my .02 cents. I consider myself a beginer in the computer build world.

Yrusoad

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
the SLI boards ar ussually labeled "enthusiusts grade" or some tag like that you might still want to get the SLI board because of the better quality that they ussually have, the extra features, and you never know when you might have the money to get another gfxcard and dont want to reformat because you need to get an SLI mobo.

just givin my 2 cents

TRENDING THREADS