Sign in with
Your question
Closed

X1950 Pro Unstable?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2007 7:37:18 PM

I have a ATI Radeon X1950 Pro at stock clocks idles at 46 max at 75 in ATI Tool after one hour of scanning for artifacts with no errors. my games, quake 4 and C&C 3 Demo keep crashing and i dont know if its because the temps are getting to high or what. i tried setting the pci-e bus on auto and 100mhz still the same thing. i just ordered a Thermalright hr-03 to keep these temps down but im not sure if that is the problem. any ideas?

More about : x1950 pro unstable

February 26, 2007 8:25:28 PM

Temps don't look bad, my guess is either driver or another component like memory.
February 27, 2007 12:11:09 AM

well i tried the last 4 drivers including the one that just came out, im pretty sure its a memory issue too, i am about to get some DDR2800 instead of my 667 ,cause i wanna push my overclock higher, i guess ill see how it goes.
Related resources
February 27, 2007 1:24:04 AM

Your gpu temps look ok.

Did you uninstall old drivers (video card)?

Run memtest86+.

What are the temps for your cpu at load with either Orthos or dual Prime95?
February 27, 2007 1:54:30 AM

Quote:
Your gpu temps look ok.

Did you uninstall old drivers (video card)?

Run memtest86+.

What are the temps for your cpu at load with either Orthos or dual Prime95?

yeah i unistalled the old driver and tried various other driver versions.
i've ran memtest86 before for hours with no errors. my dual prime95 temps are 46C at max load. i really think its my system reaching its peak cause if i drop down to 2.6ghz on my cpu, games never crash, but i can run at 3.0ghz and its fully stable in orthos and prime95 but games just crash. im not sure whats going on. im about to get a hr-03 vga cooler and some ddr2 800 ram, maybe that will help with stabilty.
February 27, 2007 5:23:53 AM

It could be your PSU. The PSU is not delivering enough power when under load.... the video card is throttling back hence crashing in games. The Ultra Xfinity is a no brand PSU. Just a thought.

You can do a fresh install of the os and see what happens.
February 27, 2007 12:19:55 PM

Quote:
It could be your PSU. The PSU is not delivering enough power when under load.... the video card is throttling back hence crashing in games. The Ultra Xfinity is a no brand PSU. Just a thought.

You can do a fresh install of the os and see what happens.

its a 600watt dual rail power supply i dont know how it wouldnt be delivering enough power. what do you mean by no brand PSU? my last 3 power supplies have been from ultra and i have had no problems at all.

i really think it has to do with the memory because this model patriot ddr2 667 i have doesn't seem to take to overclocking very well as stated in many reviews on newegg. i ran ati tool for 9 hours last night with no errors or crashes, ati tool stresses your card a lot hard than any game will too.
February 27, 2007 1:06:31 PM

Did you test your system for stability properly?

It's best to put a load on your GPU while you are running prime95.
So run two instances of prime95 and an instance of 3dmark.
If you have no errors for about 2-3 hours then look something else...
February 27, 2007 2:24:42 PM

Quote:
Did you test your system for stability properly?

It's best to put a load on your GPU while you are running prime95.
So run two instances of prime95 and an instance of 3dmark.
If you have no errors for about 2-3 hours then look something else...

i forgot to mention before that i tested running dual instances of prime95 and ati tool scan for artifacts at the same time, no errors after 8 hours overnight testing for stability. i think its the memory, cause this particular memory is horrible for overclocking.
February 27, 2007 8:44:42 PM

Quote:
its a 600watt dual rail power supply i dont know how it wouldnt be delivering enough power. what do you mean by no brand PSU? my last 3 power supplies have been from ultra and i have had no problems at all.

The Ultra is a poor quality PSU it might say that it delivers for an example: 30amps of +12V rails but its doesnt. When under load its not delivering enough juice. Iam not saying that there is something wrong with you PSU iam saying usually when it is a no brand it is a poor quality and does not deliver (stability). Check this site out. Your PSU is a Tier 4 - Not Recommend. Iam not trying to be mean just helpful. :) 

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

Quote:
i really think it has to do with the memory because this model patriot ddr2 667 i have doesn't seem to take to overclocking very well as stated in many reviews on newegg. i ran ati tool for 9 hours last night with no errors or crashes, ati tool stresses your card a lot hard than any game will too.

What does the manufacturer recommend the ram to be (voltage)? Check and see if its the right voltage in bios.

Good Luck. :) 
February 27, 2007 10:01:36 PM

Just to let you know, but ATI recommends A power supply with AT LEAST 19A on either 12V rails for any of the X1950 family of cards..., and trust me on that one, there's only like 2 or 3 550W-600W models (all brands inclusively) that can deliver that..There was the Antec TPII 550W(which was replaced by the Antec TP trio, which offers only 18A on the 12V rails now), there's the Seasonic 620W model and some other i can't recall....So don't take this the wrong way but as others pointed out, Ultra psu's aren't even to be considered (IMO) when building mid to high-end systems. So that can be the source of your problems, and not because your card is pulling as much juice as ATI states it can, but for the fact that you run an overclocked system IN CONJUNCTION with a power hungry GFX card. Also just to let you know even if you think that your PSU can deliver enough power, even high-end PSU's have efficiency rating that go to 80% (in the best case scenarios), so a tier 4 PSU will be expected to deliver only 65% to 70% of the rated wattage, so considering this, your 600w unit will effectively produce only about 390-420W.
Factor in all your system's components and the extra juice needed for your overclocking, and you got yourself a PSU which is just barely acceptable. Also if you intend on blaming your RAM, you should test out the max speed your memory is capable of achieving by dropping the CPU Multi down a couple of notches and the jacking up the FSB and thus the Ram speed (just make sure that the memory divider is set to 1:1 and not auto or whatever) So you'll have a clear idea of the max achievable speed your Ram can cope with. The you'll know if whether it's the Ram or the PSU.
Good luck with that.
February 27, 2007 10:04:10 PM

hello,

i think your card has a typical x1950 pro problem: the vrm is getting way to hot on these cards. get a little heatspreader on it and a fan that is pointed at it or good airflow in the case. then it will be stable.

don`t overclock these cards because you will only get more heat and very little performance gains. they are fast at stock anyway :wink:
February 27, 2007 11:13:35 PM

Quote:
The Ultra is a poor quality PSU it might say that it delivers for an example: 30amps of +12V rails but its doesnt. When under load its not delivering enough juice. Iam not saying that there is something wrong with you PSU iam saying usually when it is a no brand it is a poor quality and does not deliver (stability). Check this site out. Your PSU is a Tier 4 - Not Recommend. Iam not trying to be mean just helpful.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

i had no idea my psu sucked that much. thanks for letting me know. i had no problems in my old system with a 500wt ultra but my overclock wasn't near this high and my gfx card was really weak.

i bought it at microcenter and your reply came just in time because tommorow is the last day on my 30 day return policy, talk about cutting it close. anyways im gonna take it back tomorrow for an exchange any recommendation out of the ones they have here.

http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_search_results_e_c...

after looking at that post on the extremesys forum im thinking either the OCZ 700wt or the Silverstone ST60F 600wt, but keep in mind i have a antec p180 case the those cables are a pain to run through that case cause of the small openings and with my gfx card and soundcard the mother board power connections barely reach, what would you recommend given those factors?
February 27, 2007 11:16:35 PM

Quote:
Just to let you know, but ATI recommends A power supply with AT LEAST 19A on either 12V rails for any of the X1950 family of cards..., and trust me on that one, there's only like 2 or 3 550W-600W models (all brands inclusively) that can deliver that..There was the Antec TPII 550W(which was replaced by the Antec TP trio, which offers only 18A on the 12V rails now), there's the Seasonic 620W model and some other i can't recall....So don't take this the wrong way but as others pointed out, Ultra psu's aren't even to be considered (IMO) when building mid to high-end systems. So that can be the source of your problems, and not because your card is pulling as much juice as ATI states it can, but for the fact that you run an overclocked system IN CONJUNCTION with a power hungry GFX card. Also just to let you know even if you think that your PSU can deliver enough power, even high-end PSU's have efficiency rating that go to 80% (in the best case scenarios), so a tier 4 PSU will be expected to deliver only 65% to 70% of the rated wattage, so considering this, your 600w unit will effectively produce only about 390-420W.
Factor in all your system's components and the extra juice needed for your overclocking, and you got yourself a PSU which is just barely acceptable. Also if you intend on blaming your RAM, you should test out the max speed your memory is capable of achieving by dropping the CPU Multi down a couple of notches and the jacking up the FSB and thus the Ram speed (just make sure that the memory divider is set to 1:1 and not auto or whatever) So you'll have a clear idea of the max achievable speed your Ram can cope with. The you'll know if whether it's the Ram or the PSU.
Good luck with that.

thank you for the input about my which i now know is crap psu. as stated above i had no idea. i have the same question for that i asked Sarsoft.

http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_search_results_e_c...

which psu do you recommend out of what they have here given i have a p180 antec case and the cables have to be small and long to reach all the connections.
February 28, 2007 12:53:06 AM

To be honest, any 600W from either PC power and cooling, Seasonic (Corsair for that matter), Antec (but not the Neo or HE series units, got bad vibes from users lately regarding those), Silverstone is also a sure thing, And also got a couple of feedback regarding OCZ units which look to be able to cope with high overclocks in fully loaded systems (my best customer got a 850W running dual 7900GTX's on a Striker w/ an X6800 @ 3.4ghz), so the next thing to look at is how much you're willing to spend to get yourself a good quality PSU...
February 28, 2007 1:19:20 AM

Quote:
To be honest, any 600W from either PC power and cooling, Seasonic (Corsair for that matter), Antec (but not the Neo or HE series units, got bad vibes from users lately regarding those), Silverstone is also a sure thing, And also got a couple of feedback regarding OCZ units which look to be able to cope with high overclocks in fully loaded systems (my best customer got a 850W running dual 7900GTX's on a Striker w/ an X6800 @ 3.4ghz), so the next thing to look at is how much you're willing to spend to get yourself a good quality PSU...

well i wanted to spend around 200max or below, but the main thing is i cant wait for one to come in from ordering online so i have to get something that is available at my store that im returning it at. so im think either the

corsair
http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_res...

or

ocz
http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_res...

im leaning more toward the corsair because of the modular cables and my case being hard to route cables, plus i see its had many great reviews, though it would be nice to have a pc power&cooling turbo cool, but i dont really need that much power nor would i like to spend that many of my pennies. i just hope the cabling on either of these will reach everything in my system because of my case (p180) the psu being mounted in the bottom of the case, my cables barely reach now, and i heard the modular cables are pretty short on the corsair.

EDIT
i just read a review on newegg that says the corsair does reach in my case, lets just hope they have it in stock when i go tomorrow.
February 28, 2007 1:35:31 AM

Do you have a budget or what is your budget? if not...

There are couple of PSU's that i would recommend from microcenter. These are going to be more then enough for your system. Some of these are overkill. I kept the price range between $100-160.

Antec NEO HE550 42amps
Antec NEO HE500 38amps
Antec TruePower Trio 650 52amps
Corsair HX Series 520 40amps
Corsair HX Series 620 50amps
OCZ GameXtream 600 48amps
OCZ GameXtream 700 56amps
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W 60amps

My pick would be: Corsair HX Series 520 40amps $112.
If you got the cash 620 will allow you to do CF in future upgrades. Corsair is a very good quality PSU and top notch stability.

Good Luck.
February 28, 2007 1:41:07 AM

Quote:
Do you have a budget or what is your budget? if not...

There are couple of PSU's that i would recommend from microcenter. These are going to be more then enough for your system. Some of these are overkill. I kept the price range between $100-160.

Antec NEO HE550 42amps
Antec NEO HE500 38amps
Antec TruePower Trio 650 52amps
Corsair HX Series 520 40amps
Corsair HX Series 620 50amps
OCZ GameXtream 600 48amps
OCZ GameXtream 700 56amps
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W 60amps

My pick would be: Corsair HX Series 520 40amps $112.
If you got the cash 620 will allow you to do CF in future upgrades. Corsair is a very good quality PSU and top notch stability.

Good Luck.

im gonna try and go for the corsair 620, but if they dont have that in stock ill be getting the OCZ 600. thanks for your help and recommendations, ill keep everyone updated tomorrow on if this fixes my stabilty issues.
February 28, 2007 2:05:32 AM

Keep us posted. Let us know what happens.
February 28, 2007 3:19:55 PM

ofcourse your psu could be bad but i really think it`s your cards vrm that`s overheating. just google on that and you`ll see there are a lot of people having heat troubles with the x1950pro`s vrm.

my asus x1950pro had the same problem. it benchmarked very well and even some games played stable. but other games crashed and after i placed an extra fan and upped the cards fanspeed in 3d with atitool, i never had a crash again. (used it for 3 months and then bought a x1900xtx).

the pro is a great card but the vrm cooling sucks bigtime! try it....
February 28, 2007 3:37:46 PM

Quote:
ofcourse your psu could be bad but i really think it`s your cards vrm that`s overheating. just google on that and you`ll see there are a lot of people having heat troubles with the x1950pro`s vrm.

my asus x1950pro had the same problem. it benchmarked very well and even some games played stable. but other games crashed and after i placed an extra fan and upped the cards fanspeed in 3d with atitool, i never had a crash again. (used it for 3 months and then bought a x1900xtx).

the pro is a great card but the vrm cooling sucks bigtime! try it....

well im about to take this psu out and go exchange it, i think its more likely its the psu than my card overheating, because when i stress the card in ati for 8 hours it only gets to 75c max with more artifacts or errors, games dont even push a card to get that hot, my card only gets to around 60c playing games so it cant be overheating. i think that when i push my overclock higher its drawing to my power and the psu cant keep steady power, which is why the card is completely stable when my oc is only at 2.6 instead of 3ghz. i guess we'll see when i get back with this psu though. thanks for the input!
February 28, 2007 3:44:30 PM

ati tools uses very little of your graphic ram you need to keep this in mind. It's not a very good tool to test for stability.
It doesnt use all of your gpu. (no pixel and vertex shaders processed, I think).
The best stability tools are games.

Try and cool down the vrm I have heard of this before on other forums.

Try running two instances of prime95 and put 3dmark05 or newer on a constant loop. If your comp survives this then it's stable.
February 28, 2007 6:34:35 PM

your average 60C is your core temp of the card, not the vrm! it gets way hotter!!

just google the subject and you`ll fnd many forums about it.

hope you fix your problem.... greetz
March 1, 2007 1:12:42 AM

Quote:
Keep us posted. Let us know what happens.

they didn't have the corsair in stock, so they gave me a 700wt OCZ GameXstream for $120, so i didn't have to pay anything just swapped my crappy ultra xfinity out, amazing deal i got on that one. anyways taking my rig apart is a real pain because to take the psu out i need to take the whole MB out because my Tuniq is blocking the 4pin MB power connection right near the cpu and you cant just take the tuniq off because you have to mount it to the MB before putting it in the case cause you cant reach the mounting screws or that 4pin power plug for that matter. i put in my new OCZ(which by the way is amazing quality, ample cable length and i love how the cabling is rounded, makes is easier to work with in my case), in my case and figured since i already had the whole rig apart i might as well put in some parts i had laying around for another rig. i swapped out the c2d e6300 for a c2d e6400 and used shin etsu x23 instead of the AS5 i was using before. after testing all day im finally stable at 3.2ghz on my e6400, and with the new psu games never crash, the system is completely stable dual prime 95 also. it idles at 30c max load at 46c. so yes the psu was the problem it was not the card overheating or my memory, none the less i am still waiting on my thermalright hr-03 to come for my x1950pro cause the thing still runs super hot on stock clocks. im also waiting for my lapping kit to come from easypckits.com, i plan on lapping my HSF and IHS and doing a little write up on the performance/temperature differences. thanks for everyones help on solving my problem and letting me know about my POS PSU i had running, microcenter should be ashamed, they stock more Ultra PS's than any other brand in their store. time for some Q4.
March 1, 2007 1:33:11 AM

Very good news. Thats good that everything worked out good in the end. Now the only thing you need to worry about is not enjoying it too much. :lol: 

March 1, 2007 2:22:09 AM

Good then..all is well..and nice OC btw...
March 1, 2007 10:44:26 AM

Quote:
Very good news. Thats good that everything worked out good in the end. Now the only thing you need to worry about is not enjoying it too much. :lol: 

indeed!
March 8, 2007 2:34:37 PM

Quote:

Slight OT
How do you like that Kandalf Case. I'm looking to "move up" from my Coolermaster Wavemaster case. Looks like you went with a different watercooling system. I read that there's is "problematic".

Da Worfster
March 8, 2007 2:46:08 PM

Quote:
Slight OT
How do you like that Kandalf Case. I'm looking to "move up" from my Coolermaster Wavemaster case. Looks like you went with a different watercooling system. I read that there's is "problematic".

Da Worfster

The Kandalf case is big and serves me well. Everything fits in and there is still bit more space to add more things. No complaints. I am not sure what you mean by "I read that there's is "problematic" ".
March 8, 2007 2:55:50 PM

Quote:
Slight OT

Da Worfster

The Kandalf case is big and serves me well. Everything fits in and there is still bit more space to add more things. No complaints. I am not sure what you mean by "I read that there's is "problematic" ".
My bad. I read that the Kandalf 4000SWA ships with a built in water cooling system but folks have been having trouble with stock water cooling system. But your specs look like you went with a different brand. Just wondering how you found the water cooling that shipped with the case?

Da Worfster
March 8, 2007 3:26:37 PM

Quote:
There are different versions of Kandalf case. I bought Kandalf VA9000SWA model number... without a liquid cooling. I then ordered my own Swiftech water cooling system from sidewindercomputers.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Thanks, gotcha now. I appreciate the information.

Da Worfster
March 24, 2007 5:57:59 AM

from personal experience i can assure it is your cards vrms, i had 2 powercolor cards and they had the same problem, it wasn't my system, it was the cards, i was planning on a crossfire setup so i had 2 of them handy, i put one in and was testing it and it kept locking up, i took it out and tried the other, same problem, RA'd both cards to powercolor, they exchanged them for 2x x1950xt's (one was a cf master) because they were experiencing the problem with alot of their cards too and couldn't get a solution, w00t, go me! about a month after i got my 2x x1950xts they emailed me and thanked me because they used my cards to help them troubleshoot the problem and it was the voltage regs that were overheating.
March 24, 2007 2:40:35 PM

Quote:
from personal experience i can assure it is your cards vrms, i had 2 powercolor cards and they had the same problem, it wasn't my system, it was the cards, i was planning on a crossfire setup so i had 2 of them handy, i put one in and was testing it and it kept locking up, i took it out and tried the other, same problem, RA'd both cards to powercolor, they exchanged them for 2x x1950xt's (one was a cf master) because they were experiencing the problem with alot of their cards too and couldn't get a solution, w00t, go me! about a month after i got my 2x x1950xts they emailed me and thanked me because they used my cards to help them troubleshoot the problem and it was the voltage regs that were overheating.

as stated in the thread, the problem was my psu.
!