Sign in with
Your question

P5B-Deluxe or P5B-E running C2D @ 400 MHz FSB anyone?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 26, 2007 7:40:27 PM

Anyone with either board running a core 2 duo at that bus rate? How are these guys for O/C'ing compared to the X975 based P5W DH Deluxe?

I'm planning to put together a system on one of those and am trying to figure out which would be best, the X975 based board or one of the P965 based boards. I would like to O/C it to at least 333 MHz FSB, but might toy with dropping the multiplier and using a 400 FSB.

Thanks for your input and opinions all!
February 26, 2007 8:23:59 PM

What proc do you intend to use? I have the p5b-d & an e6300 running 500fsb rock stable. 28c idle & 56c load(lapped hs & proc.). This mobo is great, had a few hiccups with it, but nothing a few searches couldnt take care of.
February 26, 2007 9:09:04 PM

Quote:
What proc do you intend to use? I have the p5b-d & an e6300 running 500fsb rock stable. 28c idle & 56c load(lapped hs & proc.). This mobo is great, had a few hiccups with it, but nothing a few searches couldnt take care of.

I was thinking either 6600 or 6700. Can you post some of your system specs for me (cooler, ram, ram timings and voltage, cpu voltage, etc.) Also I've never see a 500 FSB... would you mind doing the megui encode test and posting your results? Here is the thread with the test file, etc.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

There is much more discussion over at doom9 (appropriate since doom9 is for video discussions) if you want to read more:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=122318

Thanks man!
Related resources
February 27, 2007 1:14:49 AM

Quote:
Anyone with either board running a core 2 duo at that bus rate? How are these guys for O/C'ing compared to the X975 based P5W DH Deluxe?

I'm planning to put together a system on one of those and am trying to figure out which would be best, the X975 based board or one of the P965 based boards. I would like to O/C it to at least 333 MHz FSB, but might toy with dropping the multiplier and using a 400 FSB.

The one thing you don't want to do is drop the multiplier on a 965 chipset. It increases the OC on the NB and limits your ability to OC. Also, from around 360-400 you memory will be unstable and probably toss your errors in memtest. Skip 360-400 and go to 405 FSB and it will take care of the strap change and prevent alot of headaches.

975x is an older chipset and doesn't clock as high on the FSB when compared to 965, but you are talking mid 400's vs. 500. If you are only going for ~333 then it won't make a difference.

If you are looking to OC, you might as well get the E4300. It is an Allendale native (not just 1/2 the 4MB disabled like the E63/6400). It will give you the same final clock speed as an E6600, but about 1/2 the price. An E6300 should be able to do over 400 FSB without too much effort, but it will take some knowledge.

500FSB is quite common with properly cooled rigs. 8)
February 27, 2007 2:10:56 AM

Get the P5B deluxe and a good after market cooler with DDR2 800 .
keep the multiplier stock and raise your OC to 400 FSB
Anything after 400 FSB the memory bandwidth drops until 467 where it is again at its optimum but requires better ram.
If your only going for 333 then any of the motherboards will do.
Once you start to oc you wont be satisfied with 333 :wink:
Its habit forming
February 27, 2007 2:16:17 AM

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but would this be a good combo for high over clocking potential?
E6300, I already own, I'm sure an E4300 is much better for over clocking due to the high multiplier
Scythe Ninja, I also realize Tuniq tower is the best, but I don't think the extra 3-4 degrees of cooling capacity really mater, or does the extra 10mhz potential
P5B-E or P5N-E, I haven't made up my mind which one to get, I like the extra 2 sata ports on the p5b-e, and I wont use SLI, but the P5N-E is 30$ (CAD) cheaper. Basically which one overclocks better will be the ultimate decision
Corsair XMS PC2-5400 2x1024MB 4-4-4-12, only because it's cheap, 210$, The PC2-6400 4-4-4-12 stuff is almost twice as much, 350$.
February 27, 2007 7:30:51 AM

Thanks for the replies all. Follow up question: I've read in the "dissatisfied" reviews on newegg that some of these have "crackling onboard audio." What do you guys think? Isolated problem?

I've also read some comments about poorly written BIOS revisions. Again, is this true or pilot error?

Thanks again for the info!
February 27, 2007 8:23:53 AM

What RAM are you using?I cant get past 420 stable with OCZ 6400.
Never droped multiplier to check FSB though.
February 27, 2007 10:14:58 AM

The 650i Chipset I haven't heard much about, but is nVidia, which is a good thing. Honestly, the p5B is one of the 965 champs. It is just rock solid from what I have read and you will probably need it to get the most out of your E6300 due to the low multiplier.

As for RAM.... you are going to need to get away from that PC5400 crap. What you need to do is choose your RAM based on its ability to OC, then timings. This is all contingent on how far you want to OC. You are going to keep your FSB:MEM at 1:1 so think about how far you want to push your rig (over 400 won't be an issue really) and then try and find some RAM that clocks that high within your budget. It is very possible and I could help, but I don't do CAD prices unless you show me which websites you are using/ordering from. I honestly see your dilemma, price is always an issue,, let's see what we can work out.

--kwalker

You are right... OC'ing is a bad habit. Nothing is ever enough, every single MHz is precious (esp if you want to brag 8O ).

--Cal7

Don't drop the multiplier on a 965 chipset, it will give you a false FSB wall for the processor.

Your problem is probably your RAM. OCZ has come under fire recently for picking RAM chips that meet their advertised specs and nothing more.
February 27, 2007 10:36:14 AM

I am running exactly what you are asking.

p5b deluxe with an e6600 using corsair xms6400c4.

My initial overclock was 333 x 9 and it ran fine. The memory was running at 1000 5-5-5-15.

When I tried upping the FSB and lowering the memory to 1-1, I ran into problems, (failing orthos).

Next I updated my BIOS and after reading about the strap I tried 401 x 8. Memory is at 1-1; 802, 4-4-4-12. Voltages are cpu- 1.325 in BIOS, Northbridge 1.55, memory 2.1 and everything else on auto.
This is a dead simple overclock. Not too much voltage, orthos stable and temps peaking at 50c (TAT). Running demanding tasks other than TAT or orthos gives real world Load temps of more like 44c.

The difference between 333 * 9 and 401 x 8 was 1 sec. in superpi1m but a couple of FPS in FSX, (MS flight sim).

The on-board audio is not bad but there is some crackling on occasion. I've considered robbing my x-fi from my old machine but I'm waiting to see how Vista and Creative's alchemy work out.
February 27, 2007 11:00:37 AM

Quote:
The 650i Chipset I haven't heard much about, but is nVidia, which is a good thing. Honestly, the p5B is one of the 965 champs. It is just rock solid from what I have read and you will probably need it to get the most out of your E6300 due to the low multiplier.

As for RAM.... you are going to need to get away from that PC5400 crap. What you need to do is choose your RAM based on its ability to OC, then timings. This is all contingent on how far you want to OC. You are going to keep your FSB:MEM at 1:1 so think about how far you want to push your rig (over 400 won't be an issue really) and then try and find some RAM that clocks that high within your budget. It is very possible and I could help, but I don't do CAD prices unless you show me which websites you are using/ordering from. I honestly see your dilemma, price is always an issue,, let's see what we can work out.

--kwalker

Hmmm. I'm going to assume you were talking to me :) 
Thanks for the reply. here is the website I check for prices and what not.
Corsair XMS DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
$343.09
Corsair XMS DDR2-800 5-5-5-12
$320.47
Corsair XMS DDR2-667 4-4-4-12
$203.52

(1)That gives a pretty clear picture why the DDR2 667 memory looks so good. The only other memory that can touch that kind of price is O.C.Z stuff. And I've heard they don't overclock well and have some compatibility issues with Intel chipsets... Decisions, decisions.

(2)What about CPU cooler? After some more research it turns out alot of people are complaining about the shotty performance the Scythe Ninja Rev. B is actually dishing out, and that a pressure mount is needed to get the best performance, and thats not something I'm willing to try. Any other ideas for good cpu coolers? I rather have something smaller then the Tuniq Tower 120. And something that doesn't lean over when the motherboard is vertical, like the Thermalright HR-01.

If I can achieve a 450x7 overclock, I will be more then happy, anything over that is just icing. (3)Also, how hot does the northbridge of the Asus P5B-E get? should I replace it with a cheap, light cooler like this one? (4)And what kind of thermal paste should be used on the northbridge? I heard to stay away from conductive thermal pastes.

Thanks for your input.
February 27, 2007 2:04:25 PM

p5b-d vdroop pencil mod, nb & sb & mosfet as5 + fans
e6300 1.3v @ 3.5 (lapped)
crucial ballistix tracer pc2-8000 @ 44412 @ 2.25 1:1 1000mhz
tt mini typhoon(lapped)

I cant give any screens as I am at work. I have had some Super Pi runs in the 15.5 area.
Going to be giving a dry ice run in the next couple of weeks when i get my pot done. Hopeing to get in the 600fsb range & above :D 
February 27, 2007 2:39:27 PM

Quote:

I have a P5B Deluxe. OC to 400 Mhz no problem. The CPU speed seems to usually matter more than the FSB speed. So just keep the multiplier high then increase the FSB. A C2D @ 3.2-400 fsb > C2D @ 3.2-333 fsb > C2D @2.4 -400 Mhz. Something like this, depending on what kinds of benchmarks you like,
From what little I know, the x975 is marketed as more "high-end". I personally think the p965 has a superior ICH8, faster, and cooler.
February 27, 2007 2:52:23 PM

Quote:

--kwalker

$343.09
$320.47
$203.52

(1)That gives a pretty clear picture why the DDR2 667 memory looks so good. The only other memory that can touch that kind of price is O.C.Z stuff. And I've heard they don't overclock well and have some compatibility issues with Intel chipsets... Decisions, decisions.

(2)What about CPU cooler? After some more research it turns out alot of people are complaining about the shotty performance the Scythe Ninja Rev. B is actually dishing out, and that a pressure mount is needed to get the best performance, and thats not something I'm willing to try. Any other ideas for good cpu coolers? I rather have something smaller then the Tuniq Tower 120. And something that doesn't lean over when the motherboard is vertical, like the Thermalright HR-01.

If I can achieve a 450x7 overclock, I will be more then happy, anything over that is just icing. (3)Also, how hot does the northbridge of the Asus P5B-E get? should I replace it with a cheap, light cooler like this one? (4)And what kind of thermal paste should be used on the northbridge? I heard to stay away from conductive thermal pastes.

Thanks for your input.

Alright.... I wrote a nice response then the forumz got all jacked up and it didn't post. So let's try this again....

Watch who I reply to it's a common courtesy that most people observe in this forum. :D 

First of all your store charges a premium for RAM it seems.... some of that crap is way over priced (not your fault, just makes ram choice harder).

As for the Corsair you picked out, I would expect it to do ~410, but you may have to reduce the latency to 5-5-5-15 or 5-5-5-12, depends on the chips. The RAM banks used in those are in some DDR2 800, but I don't expect it to do much over 400, as I stated. So, the question is, are you ok with 410x7? When you buy DDR2 800, if you choose carefully, the RAM should be able to do DDR2 1000, but is more expensive (as you would imagine).

As for the NB, your best bet, instead of spending money on a new HS, is to just toss a low RPM fan on the area and that should take care of any issues.

I am switching client sites so I will come back and make sure I hit all the points after work.
February 27, 2007 4:03:13 PM

Quote:

--kwalker

$343.09
$320.47
$203.52

Thanks for your input.

Alright.... I wrote a nice response then the forumz got all jacked up and it didn't post. So let's try this again....

Watch who I reply to it's a common courtesy that most people observe in this forum. :D 

First of all your store charges a premium for RAM it seems.... some of that crap is way over priced (not your fault, just makes ram choice harder).

As for the Corsair you picked out, I would expect it to do ~410, but you may have to reduce the latency to 5-5-5-15 or 5-5-5-12, depends on the chips. The RAM banks used in those are in some DDR2 800, but I don't expect it to do much over 400, as I stated. So, the question is, are you ok with 410x7? When you buy DDR2 800, if you choose carefully, the RAM should be able to do DDR2 1000, but is more expensive (as you would imagine).

As for the NB, your best bet, instead of spending money on a new HS, is to just toss a low RPM fan on the area and that should take care of any issues.

I am switching client sites so I will come back and make sure I hit all the points after work.

My apologies, I didn't mean to jack the thread, or other peoples posts. It just seemed like you made the mistake of placing kwalker's name instead of mine, because his post was just above mine, and your reply seemed, to me anyways, that you were replying to me. My bad :( 

Thanks anyways for your reply. And believe it or not, that is one of the cheapest hardware vendors that I know of that ship to Canada.

Ok, price aside, out of this choices which would be best for P5B-E? (That are DDR2-800, and do not cost a small fortune)

Thanks again for your help!
February 27, 2007 8:58:00 PM

You were right, I was replying to you. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I must have worded it strangely.

Who I reply to is my initial comment, which you interpreted correctly. :D 

I added kwalker and c7's name to denote a change in intended target from you to them, that is all.

In order to help me help you, can you give me a strict budget (i.e. I will not pay anything over $xxx.xx, or I would like to spend about $xxx.xx). I can guess at your budget based on what you've picked out so far, but this would greatly help me and accelerate the process. :D 

I will be able to have an answer for you in 2-3 hours when I get home. Can only reply no research at work.... they track me... 8O
February 28, 2007 4:16:44 AM

Your ram certainly helps but the strange thing is my ram works at 900 Mhz without problems so i could use 450 FSB.I actually run windows with that speed a couple of times but very unstable so i guess its my 6300.I`ll try 1.45 vcore since P5B looks like its droping it from 1.4 to 1.36.
February 28, 2007 6:46:31 AM

Quote:
You were right, I was replying to you. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I must have worded it strangely.

Who I reply to is my initial comment, which you interpreted correctly. :D 

I added kwalker and c7's name to denote a change in intended target from you to them, that is all.

In order to help me help you, can you give me a strict budget (i.e. I will not pay anything over $xxx.xx, or I would like to spend about $xxx.xx). I can guess at your budget based on what you've picked out so far, but this would greatly help me and accelerate the process. :D 

I will be able to have an answer for you in 2-3 hours when I get home. Can only reply no research at work.... they track me... 8O

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier.

Trying to place a certain amount of money I want to spend on ram isn't really possible, I search bang for buck. my argument is that the Corsair memory I pointed out vs some good DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 memory is at least 300$, is it worth the extra 100$? But let's put that aside for now. let's say 280-320$

I think with all this discussion on what is better, I think I need to set the bar. I know I said I would like to hit 450fsb, but let's try to do 500fsb, what would I need for that circumstance? Would this be a good combo?

Asus P5B Deluxe
$219.78
Intel E6300
-----
Tuniq Tower 120
$48.44
Corsair XMS2 2x1024MB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
$343.09

If I compare that to what I thought I was going to buy

Asus P5B-E
$176.04
Intel E6300
-----
Scythe Ninja Plus Rev.B
$40.53
Corsair XMS2 2x1024MB DDR2-667 4-4-4-12
$203.52

Hmmm, my guess is max overclock on the first combo would be close to 500fsb, while the max overclock for the second combo would be somewhere between 400-440. So let's use best case scenario just for a comparison. 3.0ghz vs 3.5ghz, is 500mhz worth almost 200$? (422 vs 611). I could definitely see it being a better deal if I had the e6400 or e4300, higher multiplier would get me allot closer to 4ghz then a better memory or motherboard.

I guess this is one of those subjective questions that no one can really answer. We can all throw out numbers and benchmarks into these situations, but ultimately it's whoever is using there hard-earned cash (or in some cases, not so 'hard-earned' :p ).

But, back to the memory.. ya, 280-320$.
February 28, 2007 3:02:04 PM

475 x 7 1:1 @ 1900 FSB / Mem was @ 950Mhz Vcore 1.425 @ 3.3 - Idle-36c Load-58 (orthos)
SiSoftware - MEM = 7814/7828
SiSoftware - CPU = 30532/21296
PCmark05 - 8528
!