sounds and Audio Devices problem

I'm having a little problem with my sounds in control panel. Sometimes when
I change one of the sound events with another sound, I get the error message:
an expection occured when trying to run "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,
Control_RUNDLL "C:\Windows\system32\MMSYS. CPL," @0". Sometimes the ending
number is @1 or sometimes I get a message instruction cannot be read or
written to memory.

I don't know what could be causing this. No virus or spyware are on my
computer and I upgraded to SP 2, thinking that would help.

Please someone help me!
4 answers Last reply
More about sounds audio devices problem

    Try running the particular sound file in Sound Recorder or one of your
    Media apps before selecting it as an event sound. It may be corrupt or in
    the wrong format. You can do a Search for the file or use Windows Explorer
    then double click it. If it is a valid sound file, your default player will
    play it
    for you or you can Open it with your selection.

    "I love the Windwaker" wrote:

    > I'm having a little problem with my sounds in control panel. Sometimes when
    > I change one of the sound events with another sound, I get the error message:
    > an expection occured when trying to run "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,
    > Control_RUNDLL "C:\Windows\system32\MMSYS. CPL," @0". Sometimes the ending
    > number is @1 or sometimes I get a message instruction cannot be read or
    > written to memory.
    >
    > I don't know what could be causing this. No virus or spyware are on my
    > computer and I upgraded to SP 2, thinking that would help.
    >
    > Please someone help me!

    Sorry, that didn't work. Thanks for the advice though:)

    "Byte" wrote:

    > Try running the particular sound file in Sound Recorder or one of your
    > Media apps before selecting it as an event sound. It may be corrupt or in
    > the wrong format. You can do a Search for the file or use Windows Explorer
    > then double click it. If it is a valid sound file, your default player will
    > play it
    > for you or you can Open it with your selection.
    >
    > "I love the Windwaker" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having a little problem with my sounds in control panel. Sometimes when
    > > I change one of the sound events with another sound, I get the error message:
    > > an expection occured when trying to run "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,
    > > Control_RUNDLL "C:\Windows\system32\MMSYS. CPL," @0". Sometimes the ending
    > > number is @1 or sometimes I get a message instruction cannot be read or
    > > written to memory.
    > >
    > > I don't know what could be causing this. No virus or spyware are on my
    > > computer and I upgraded to SP 2, thinking that would help.
    > >
    > > Please someone help me!

    I don't know if this is the reason or not, but I turn off Windows Media
    Player as the default player for .wavs and I don't get anymore error
    messages. I just left nothing as the default player of .wavs. Could Windows
    Media Player have caused this trouble?

    "I love the Windwaker" wrote:

    > I'm having a little problem with my sounds in control panel. Sometimes when
    > I change one of the sound events with another sound, I get the error message:
    > an expection occured when trying to run "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,
    > Control_RUNDLL "C:\Windows\system32\MMSYS. CPL," @0". Sometimes the ending
    > number is @1 or sometimes I get a message instruction cannot be read or
    > written to memory.
    >
    > I don't know what could be causing this. No virus or spyware are on my
    > computer and I upgraded to SP 2, thinking that would help.
    >
    > Please someone help me!

    Nope, I was wrong:( Someone help me, please!

    "I love the Windwaker" wrote:

    > I don't know if this is the reason or not, but I turn off Windows Media
    > Player as the default player for .wavs and I don't get anymore error
    > messages. I just left nothing as the default player of .wavs. Could Windows
    > Media Player have caused this trouble?
    >
    > "I love the Windwaker" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having a little problem with my sounds in control panel. Sometimes when
    > > I change one of the sound events with another sound, I get the error message:
    > > an expection occured when trying to run "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,
    > > Control_RUNDLL "C:\Windows\system32\MMSYS. CPL," @0". Sometimes the ending
    > > number is @1 or sometimes I get a message instruction cannot be read or
    > > written to memory.
    > >
    > > I don't know what could be causing this. No virus or spyware are on my
    > > computer and I upgraded to SP 2, thinking that would help.
    > >
    > > Please someone help me!

Windows XP