Corrupt "System" file in CONFIG directory

A bad sector wiped out the System file (and its backup)
in the WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG directory. I can only
access my system using some IBM Thinkpad diagnostics
(which provides access to the drives via DOS).

- Is this file specific to my machine (IBM Thinkpad
T30)?
- Anyone have a T30 w/ a 40gb drive that could e-mail me
a replacement?
- Where else can I find a replacement for this file (try
search for "SYSTEM" on MS sometime!)?
3 answers Last reply
More about corrupt system file config directory

    Greetings --

    The precise recovery steps are here:

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "RC Drisko" <rcdrisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > A bad sector wiped out the System file (and its backup)
    > in the WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG directory. I can only
    > access my system using some IBM Thinkpad diagnostics
    > (which provides access to the drives via DOS).
    >
    > - Is this file specific to my machine (IBM Thinkpad
    > T30)?
    > - Anyone have a T30 w/ a 40gb drive that could e-mail me
    > a replacement?
    > - Where else can I find a replacement for this file (try
    > search for "SYSTEM" on MS sometime!)?

    Greetings --

    Oops, wrong OS.

    Try this, instead:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    Registry Repair Utility download for Windows 2000-based computers
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830570

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings --
    >
    > The precise recovery steps are here:
    >
    > How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP
    from
    > Starting
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
    >
    > Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705
    >

    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "RC Drisko" <rcdrisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > A bad sector wiped out the System file (and its backup)
    > > in the WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG directory. I can only
    > > access my system using some IBM Thinkpad diagnostics
    > > (which provides access to the drives via DOS).
    > >
    > > - Is this file specific to my machine (IBM Thinkpad
    > > T30)?
    > > - Anyone have a T30 w/ a 40gb drive that could e-mail me
    > > a replacement?
    > > - Where else can I find a replacement for this file (try
    > > search for "SYSTEM" on MS sometime!)?

    If the system hive is corrupt, and assuming you already tried LKG, It may be
    possible to rename the system hive found in
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    to system.old
    then rename
    %windir%\system32\config\system.alt
    %windir%\system32\config\system

    You can also try using the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback

    If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
    original-as-installed system hive from
    %windir%\repair\system
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
    original OS install.

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the password has been
    validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access
    to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your
    computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "RC Drisko" wrote:
    |A bad sector wiped out the System file (and its backup)
    | in the WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG directory. I can only
    | access my system using some IBM Thinkpad diagnostics
    | (which provides access to the drives via DOS).
    |
    | - Is this file specific to my machine (IBM Thinkpad
    | T30)?
    | - Anyone have a T30 w/ a 40gb drive that could e-mail me
    | a replacement?
    | - Where else can I find a replacement for this file (try
    | search for "SYSTEM" on MS sometime!)?

Configuration System File IBM ThinkPad Windows