Using W2k CD w/SP 4 added, but setup asks for SP 3 CD

Hello the group!

I am having a bit of a problem trying to use a Windows 2000 CD that has SP 4
included.

I originally had a Windows 98 system. I added another hard drive and
installed Windows 2000 from a CD with SP-3 onto it, thus creating a dual
boot computer. Fine. Then, after SP 4 was released I downloaded and
installed it, giving me a W2k SP 4 system on Drive #2 and W98 on Drive #1. I
decided to stop wasting time and an entire disk on W98, and want to upgrade
it to W2k, so I followed what I thought were the correct instructions to
create a CD that has SP4 included.

My computer won't boot from my W2k CD, so before exiting Windows I created
boot floppies using Makeboot.exe. I disconnected drive #2, with W2k
installed SP4, then rebooted the computer, with the bootdisk in, inserted
the other 3 diskettes as requested, told it where to install the new OS,
then repeatedly got a message to insert the CD with SP3 !

This is as far as setup will go. The CD I am using was created from my
downloaded SP4, from files in a folder on my hard drive, and the original MS
W2k with SP3 setup files. Can somebody send me a link to where I can find
correct detailed instructions on how to fold a service pack upgrade and new
upgraded makeboot files into a CD to do a reinstall? I am guessing that the
makeboot files are at fault, and were not upgraded when I extracted SP4 into
a new folder and burned them onto the CD.

Thanks for your indulgence.
--

Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
Please reply to the group

    I forgot to list the files that are in the root of my Win2k CD. They are:

    Autorun.inf
    CDROM_IP.5
    CDROM_NT.5
    cdromsp4.tst
    READ1ST.TXT
    README.DOC
    SETUP.EXE
    SPNOTES.HTM (Readme for Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4)

    --

    Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
    Please reply to the group

    If yr sys would not boot from the slipstreamed cd then the cd is
    faulty/incorrectly done
    http://www.thetechguide.com/articles/slipstream.html
    One of many guides, simpy substitute sp4 for sp2

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
    > If yr sys would not boot from the slipstreamed cd then the cd is
    > faulty/incorrectly done
    > http://www.thetechguide.com/articles/slipstream.html
    > One of many guides, simpy substitute sp4 for sp2
    >
    > "Wiz" <wizcrafts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I forgot to list the files that are in the root of my Win2k CD. They
    are:

    > > Autorun.inf
    > > CDROM_IP.5
    > > CDROM_NT.5
    > > cdromsp4.tst
    > > READ1ST.TXT
    > > README.DOC
    > > SETUP.EXE
    > > SPNOTES.HTM (Readme for Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4)
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
    > > Please reply to the group

    DL;
    Thanks for the pointer. I just used Nero to burn a bootable W2k CD, with the
    slipstreamed SP4 included. However, I still have the old MAKEBOOT files on
    the cd, in the BOOTDISK folder. How do I update those files so I can make an
    SP4 diskette set, if needed?

    Thx, Wiz

    Whether the makeboot files were changed in sp4, I'm not aware.
    Did you also follow the guide for making a bootable cd, for yr slipstreamed
    copy?
    I believe it states that nero doesnt work! - maybe an earlier version of
    nero?
    If the cd has been correctly done you should be able to boot from it, test
    it.

    > Whether the makeboot files were changed in sp4, I'm not aware.
    > Did you also follow the guide for making a bootable cd, for yr
    slipstreamed
    > copy?
    > I believe it states that nero doesnt work! - maybe an earlier version of
    > nero?
    > If the cd has been correctly done you should be able to boot from it, test
    > it.

    snip

    DL;
    You are right, the Nero bootdisk function didn't work. I will need to try
    some of the other boot options. However, I did modify four entries in the
    file named txtsetup.sif. They were pointing to sp3 and I simply changed them
    to sp4. This file is on diskette #1, created from makeboot.exe. I will try
    booting from this diskette and see if it allows me to get into setup. It's
    slower than a bootable CD, but it is readily available, if it works.
    --

    Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
    Please reply to the group

    The newer version of Nero works. See the following:
    http://www.3iii.dk/computer/W2Kboot.htm

Windows 2000 CD-Rom Windows