Using W2k CD w/SP 4 added, but setup asks for SP 3 CD

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 1, 2004 6:33:39 PM

Hello the group!

I am having a bit of a problem trying to use a Windows 2000 CD that has SP 4
included.

I originally had a Windows 98 system. I added another hard drive and
installed Windows 2000 from a CD with SP-3 onto it, thus creating a dual
boot computer. Fine. Then, after SP 4 was released I downloaded and
installed it, giving me a W2k SP 4 system on Drive #2 and W98 on Drive #1. I
decided to stop wasting time and an entire disk on W98, and want to upgrade
it to W2k, so I followed what I thought were the correct instructions to
create a CD that has SP4 included.

My computer won't boot from my W2k CD, so before exiting Windows I created
boot floppies using Makeboot.exe. I disconnected drive #2, with W2k
installed SP4, then rebooted the computer, with the bootdisk in, inserted
the other 3 diskettes as requested, told it where to install the new OS,
then repeatedly got a message to insert the CD with SP3 !

This is as far as setup will go. The CD I am using was created from my
downloaded SP4, from files in a folder on my hard drive, and the original MS
W2k with SP3 setup files. Can somebody send me a link to where I can find
correct detailed instructions on how to fold a service pack upgrade and new
upgraded makeboot files into a CD to do a reinstall? I am guessing that the
makeboot files are at fault, and were not upgraded when I extracted SP4 into
a new folder and burned them onto the CD.

Thanks for your indulgence.
--

Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
Please reply to the group

More about : w2k added setup asks

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 8:56:14 PM

I forgot to list the files that are in the root of my Win2k CD. They are:

Autorun.inf
CDROM_IP.5
CDROM_NT.5
cdromsp4.tst
READ1ST.TXT
README.DOC
SETUP.EXE
SPNOTES.HTM (Readme for Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4)

--

Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
Please reply to the group

If yr sys would not boot from the slipstreamed cd then the cd is
faulty/incorrectly done
http://www.thetechguide.com/articles/slipstream.html
One of many guides, simpy substitute sp4 for sp2

"Wiz" <wizcrafts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I forgot to list the files that are in the root of my Win2k CD. They are:
>
> Autorun.inf
> CDROM_IP.5
> CDROM_NT.5
> cdromsp4.tst
> READ1ST.TXT
> README.DOC
> SETUP.EXE
> SPNOTES.HTM (Readme for Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4)
>
> --
>
> Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
> Please reply to the group

June 1, 2004 10:59:44 PM

"DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Zcu5IASEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> If yr sys would not boot from the slipstreamed cd then the cd is
> faulty/incorrectly done
> http://www.thetechguide.com/articles/slipstream.html
> One of many guides, simpy substitute sp4 for sp2
>
> "Wiz" <wizcrafts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I forgot to list the files that are in the root of my Win2k CD. They
are:

> > Autorun.inf
> > CDROM_IP.5
> > CDROM_NT.5
> > cdromsp4.tst
> > READ1ST.TXT
> > README.DOC
> > SETUP.EXE
> > SPNOTES.HTM (Readme for Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4)
> >
> > --
> >
> > Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
> > Please reply to the group

DL;
Thanks for the pointer. I just used Nero to burn a bootable W2k CD, with the
slipstreamed SP4 included. However, I still have the old MAKEBOOT files on
the cd, in the BOOTDISK folder. How do I update those files so I can make an
SP4 diskette set, if needed?

Thx, Wiz
June 2, 2004 3:55:25 AM

Whether the makeboot files were changed in sp4, I'm not aware.
Did you also follow the guide for making a bootable cd, for yr slipstreamed
copy?
I believe it states that nero doesnt work! - maybe an earlier version of
nero?
If the cd has been correctly done you should be able to boot from it, test
it.

"Wiz" <wizcrafts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p X3vc.18068$eH1.8031152@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
> "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o Zcu5IASEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > If yr sys would not boot from the slipstreamed cd then the cd is
> > faulty/incorrectly done
> > http://www.thetechguide.com/articles/slipstream.html
> > One of many guides, simpy substitute sp4 for sp2
> >
> > "Wiz" <wizcrafts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I forgot to list the files that are in the root of my Win2k CD. They
> are:
> > >
> > > Autorun.inf
> > > CDROM_IP.5
> > > CDROM_NT.5
> > > cdromsp4.tst
> > > READ1ST.TXT
> > > README.DOC
> > > SETUP.EXE
> > > SPNOTES.HTM (Readme for Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4)
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
> > > Please reply to the group
> > >

> DL;
> Thanks for the pointer. I just used Nero to burn a bootable W2k CD, with
the
> slipstreamed SP4 included. However, I still have the old MAKEBOOT files on
> the cd, in the BOOTDISK folder. How do I update those files so I can make
an
> SP4 diskette set, if needed?
>
> Thx, Wiz

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 3:55:26 AM

"DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ZF1IuCSEHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Whether the makeboot files were changed in sp4, I'm not aware.
> Did you also follow the guide for making a bootable cd, for yr
slipstreamed
> copy?
> I believe it states that nero doesnt work! - maybe an earlier version of
> nero?
> If the cd has been correctly done you should be able to boot from it, test
> it.

snip

DL;
You are right, the Nero bootdisk function didn't work. I will need to try
some of the other boot options. However, I did modify four entries in the
file named txtsetup.sif. They were pointing to sp3 and I simply changed them
to sp4. This file is on diskette #1, created from makeboot.exe. I will try
booting from this diskette and see if it allows me to get into setup. It's
slower than a bootable CD, but it is readily available, if it works.
--

Posted IMHO, by "Wiz"
Please reply to the group

The newer version of Nero works. See the following:
http://www.3iii.dk/computer/W2Kboot.htm

!