Manikplyer

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Hi

I don't know much at all about computers apart from some basic things.

I have a Compaq Presario Sr1280Uk (intel pentium 4 550, ati x300, 1gb Ram ddr i think)

I am looking to upgrade it for use with a 8800 Gts + vista home premium and need some advice. I plan to take it to PC world and get it done, i know they overprice but i don't have the skills to build my own. I mainly use my comp for gaming.

This is my current thinking:

Put in another 1gig ram (not sure which type)
Put in an Intel E6400/E6600
Put in the BFG 8800 with 320mb
Apparently i need a new motherbaord so get one of those (not sure which one again but wont be doing any overclocking)

Is there anything mising from the list or anything you would advise me to change? And could you recommend anything? And am i going about updating it in roughly the right way?

Thanks

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
usaully youy have to use a new case and you will need a new power supply. As for a store build, some will only charge $50-75 as long as you buy the parts there. What is the total budget, need a new monitor, and list your drives, those are something you can swap out of the old system.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
You will likely need a new power supply, I doubt your old one will be sufficient. You should be looking at brand names 500-600W in general.

Your current HDD's might be IDE, most motherboards now only have one IDE slot, you'll probably need SATA HDD's if you don't already.

If your old RAM is DDR you will likely need DDR2 for the new motherboard, most don't take DDR anymore. Some might, but your old DDR will likely bottleneck the system, so you want DDR2 anyway, preferably a dual channel kit.

Manikplyer

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Umm im not quite sure what my HD is its (7200rpm) if that will help, as for my budget probably around £700 and that is with Pc world parts. if i were to take it would they advise me on the powersupply?

I need to get some sleep now but i will reply later tomorrow, thanks for the current quick response :D

Good night

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
HP lists your computer with 250gb Sata HDD and 2 usable DVD drives. You might also be able to use the TV tuner card. The softwhere might or might not transfer, you might even be able to use the OS.
Here are the specs to the Compaq:
Compac Presario SR1280UK
Take this and your upgrade ideas and find a good salesman and they will walk through it and give you a price. Bring that info back and we can help some more. I have heard that PC World a decent place to work with ( I used to read many UK PC Mags.)

Manikplyer

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Ok thx

so it sounds like i should take it in see what the sales person says and then either go for it there and then or if i dont like the sound of things report back to you guys. :)