Case Search - List of needs - Need Help

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I am going over and over all of the cases available out there and driving myself crazy looking for one that fits my needs. I am leaning towards the Stacker 830 but there are a couple of things that I would like that it does not have. Here is what my ideal case would have.

Size: Mid to Full. It has to have room for a Thermalright Ultra120 Heatsink. (I believe it is about as tall at a Scythe Ninja, and Tuniq Tower.)

Looks:
Clean, sleek, and prefer aluminum over plastic. (I like the Stacker830 looks)

HDD Alignment: Sideways. (This is one item the Stacker is missing, and for cabling purposes I would like a sideways HDD Mount. I tend you swap drives out often as well so easy removal is key.)

Price: up to $300

Other wants:
Quiet
Low Dust
Removable Motherboard Tray.
Well manufatured, and can stand up to changes made often.

I would appreciate any suggestion you guys have. Thanks

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
you can try this one (it seems to be very popular here):

Silverstone TJ09

That one looks like it has everything I am looking for. I actually looks like my current case which is an older Coolermaster mid tower... maybe my wife will not even notice the change.

Any other opinions? This one is actually a little more bland looking than I wanted, but that is still only the most minor factor.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Having just ordered the TJ09 today I'm really excited about setting it up. I've done alot of research on it. It will hold a Tuniq 120 from what I've gathered it might be a bit tight but it will fit. Will hold 8800's in SLI although you may have to remove the lower HD cage but depending on your HD needs this might not be that big of a deal. I'll post some pics once I get everything setup and running.

About the only thing I've read that was bad about this case is that the wire managment can be a pain in the @ss. So just something to keep in mind.

Jodym2

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I Love My Antec Nine Hundred! I was using a Cooler Master Wave Master case if you read reviews they say that case is good well it got old fast. I build a few systems a year and get to see a lot of cases as I am a computer consultant. I would add 120 MM Fans to your List as that is the new fashion. I would recommend the 900 to you even though it does not have sideways HD Mounting. I usually use Antec Sonata II case for my Clients it has cool Sideways mounting with rubber Grommets. But now that I use the straight forward 900 that seems like Gimmicks. My CPU Temp went from 63C Running Orthos at 3.5 GHz 1.44 Volts to 58C just changing the Case. I was looking for a Case that had adequate cooling after I used the rear 120mm Fan Hole for a Radiator for system cooling. The 900's 200mm Fan is Sweet it exhausts all heat from within my system rapidly. Now I'm thinking I don't even need H2O.

http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/6347/48/
3D Gamer MAN Likes 900 watch the Video

Brawly44

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
If you are interested in spending around $300, you might consider the Thermaltake Tai Chi. It is a huge full size chassis and can be used for ATX or BTX form factor. The case is aluminum extrusion with a sleek modern design. It also has pre-installed holes for water cooling and has the capacity for up to 4 large cooling fans! This case is more overkill, but due to the ventilation at the top, the bottom (flooring), and sides it will assist in more than ample cooling! It also has the removable motherboard tray, and the HDD removable cage! Not a cheap case by any means, but it will last for a very long time with plenty of room for upgrading or adding additional components, especially if you plan on purchasing any of the new ATI or NVIDIA next generation graphic cards that handle Direct X 10 (have you seen the size of those cards!?). :D

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I had actually looked into getting the Tai Chi I needed something that could stop a bullet. :p No seriously though that is a very nice case but I just felt I didn't need that much case. Just my two cents though.

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I just ordered the Silverstone TJ09. My current case has lasted about 5 years and 3 mobo changes and will still live on as a second PC for the house, maybe as a HTPC.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

For the Record, the cases I mulled over were:

Silverstone TJ09 (The winner, sideways HDD mount, mobo tray, quality, sleek looks. It seems to have it all.)
Coolermaster Stacker 830 and 832 (A very close 2nd place on my list)
Zalman Fatal1ty (The HDD enclosure is just too cool, but no mobo tray and a ton of stupid writing all over it.)
Antec P180 (I put one of these together at work, quality, but lacking many features I desired)
Antec 900 (This one I almost bought at Frys this weekend, but again the lack of mobo tray and possibly the fact that the displayed it poorly there hurt it's chances.)

I certainly was not planning on spending $300 when I started this search, but after looking at the build quality and options on the ~$150 models I decided it was worth it to pony up the extra and get a case that will last a very long time.

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I would highly recommend the TJ09 case. I personally have it and it is a killer case with the airflow and design and ease of installation into it. I do also admit the front is a bit plain but the sides of it look killer with the mid-fan vents and especially if you get the one with the window. The MB tray is a really nice feature of it. Its HD cages are really easy to use too just slide right out. I liked the Fatal1ty case but i ended up going with this one for the simple fact of ALOT more airflow. This case has a dedicated Video card fan and also a fan dedicated to HD cooling. The Fatal1ty yes has 2-92mms in the front but the air is pushed right onto the hard drives and then goes into the case. That also i would say hurts the airflow front to back severly. But like i said the TJ09 has been a dream for me PLENTY of room inside lots of features and overall solid design. But that is ALL IMO.

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
But like i said the TJ09 has been a dream for me PLENTY of room inside lots of features and overall solid design. But that is ALL IMO.

I came here looking for opinions, so I am glad to hear that you are enjoying this case. I did get the windowed version, silver, and I am eager to get it.
I obsess a little so I am still looking at all of the other option out there, and probably will until this one shows up.

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I see a lot of people recommend the TJ09 so it must be a good one.I have the 831 (basically the same as 830) and i have to say i`m happy with it for the most part but `m not really excited with the airflow.I expected lower temps with 4 12cm fans installed.Plenty of room around the MB though.

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I see a lot of people recommend the TJ09 so it must be a good one.I have the 831 (basically the same as 830) and i have to say i`m happy with it for the most part but `m not really excited with the airflow.I expected lower temps with 4 12cm fans installed.Plenty of room around the MB though.

Actually one thing I did not like about the Stacker 830 and 832 was that they seem like they would be horrible for collecting dust. The 830 has so many grills that it seems like there is no way to keep the dust out. Also airflow in that case does seem like it could be hard to direct with it being so open.