W2K Pro Installation Question

I have been unable to find my particular problem by any simple search,
and I cannot believe this has not come up before in some circle across
the Internet.

My grandfather has two drives in his computer -- one Serial ATA and
one IDE -- and both have a Windows 2000 installation. I'm starting to
think that W2K hates playing nicely with itself since both drives have
stopped booting properly. This configuration worked for some time, but
now, when trying to boot from the Serial ATA drive or the IDE drive,
the same problem occurs: on the text screen when Windows 2000 is first
the computer stops. No activity whatsoever.

I have tried the repair options from the CD on both drives to no
avail. The repair completes and the computer reboots, only to hang at
the text progress bar. The graphics mode never kicks in. I did try to
F8 my way into Safe Mode. Same thing. When I tried to F8 my way into
Boot Logging, no log file ever got created.

So I'm in a bind now. My next option is to completely reinstall
Windows 2000 on both drives and see if that fixes the problem. (It did
last time.) HOWEVER ... He's getting a bit tired of having to
constantly reinstall all his software. Is there ANY way that I can
make Windows 2000 install while PRESERVING the contents of the
registries? I know doing a fresh install is destructive to the
registery, but as the repair mode is not doing anything noticeable, is
there a happy medium?

Thank you kindly,

Seth Anderson

Seth

The last resort, before performing a clean install, is an in-place upgrade.
This MS Knowledge Base article describes what it does:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306952

Best regards

Bjorn