Why buy an 8800GTX..Crysis benchmark big dissapointment?

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
These are some benchmarks I've found on some Chinese site and if these are true it would be a large dissapointment for gamers when they'll find out that their DX10 8800GTX (not even talking about the SLI + quadcore setup this benchmark was run on) is not even able to play DX10 games like Crysis in a decent resolution/FPS. I'll stick with my XP/DX9c setup (as this will play Crysis as well) till the real monster DX10 cards arrive next year ;) Got this next link via http://realworldbenchmarks.com/newsitem.php?id=157

Check it out for yourself....

http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hardware/33923_page15918.html

JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
i got his from another forum, i would not believe any benchies till the games is out
"Crysis ran at 30 frames per second on Vista. Here's the details:

- 2048x1600 resolution
- High details (in pre-Alpha)

- Single-Core CPU
- 2GB of RAM
- 8800GTX

-Unoptimized

Yes, at 30 frames in Vista. Smile"

sailer

Splendid
Don't believe it. Reminds me of a supposed R600 benchmark that appeared on a Russian site the other day. Lets see some respected web sites giving bench results and I'll pay more attention.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I agree with you. Without AA/AF and its batting .2FPS? LOL.

You know they say take these things with a grain of salt..... but to swallow this the grain of salt would have to be the size of a bus 8O

Well, why could this not be true?

Because it's already been discussed when VR-Zone posted this a while back;
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4555

HardSpell used the Ageia PhysX card and turned Physics on, however Crytek has already stated that they use VPU physics, not a PPU, so either the one graphics card is doing physics or the CPU is doing physics, either way the test is flawed if that's the case.

I'll believe Crysis Benchmarks, when I can buy it in retail and not some hack-job demo of dubious reliability.

Hameedo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Don't be stupid people .. Crytek is making sure their game is playable on every decent card out there and that's include 8800 series of course .

Not to mention many video previews showing Crysis with DX10 effects on a 8800 series .. Gamespot has stated previously that the "Alpha" version of the game was running at 60 FPS .. Maxed .. also on a 8800GTX !

Tomshardware itself has made a comparsion between Crysis on XP and Win Vista .. guess what ? the Vista system was using 8800GTX (the only DX10 hardware available for now) .. and the game was extremely playable . You can find this article on Twitchguru.com .

DarkTide

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Isn't Oblivion just now able to be played with all the bells and whistles turned on with the release of the 8800? It won't surprise me if Crysis can't be played with all the settings maxed using current hardware.

Such is the price of these amazing game engines.

I guess it all depends what a difference DX10 really makes. Only time will tell.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Isn't Oblivion just now able to be played with all the bells and whistles turned on with the release of the 8800? It won't surprise me if Crysis can't be played with all the settings maxed using current hardware.

Such is the price of these amazing game engines.

I guess it all depends what a difference DX10 really makes. Only time will tell.

Oblivion's engine is not optimized well...

Per the original thread:
Isn't Crysis still in Beta??? This is bogus info.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Crysis is overbuilt for the current cards @ max settings... gives the game more longevity.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
go gametrailers.com search crysis and there we go, ingame with a 8800gtx tho the frame rates drop sometimes but ya.. long time till the release of crysis.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
DX10 introduces alot of efficiency advances. Take a tree for example, whereas you'd draw each induvidual leaf in DX9.0c, in DX10 you draw one leave and repeat/rotate/resize it 10,000 times.

Even if said leaf is 1,000 times as detailed, you still have a 5x speed increase by the time you have finished the tree.

Now take a jungle screenshot with 50 trees, and you only have to draw one leaf for the lot of them.....

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
DX10 introduces alot of efficiency advances. Take a tree for example, whereas you'd draw each induvidual leaf in DX9.0c, in DX10 you draw one leave and repeat/rotate/resize it 10,000 times.

Even if said leaf is 1,000 times as detailed, you still have a 5x speed increase by the time you have finished the tree.

Now take a jungle screenshot with 50 trees, and you only have to draw one leaf for the lot of them.....

Its not really how it works.

The card still has to draw the different leafs with different angle, lightsource, shader angle.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hence the 5x increase not 10x :p

It is still far more efficient to rotate the leave and copy it than it is to draw a whole new one.

My point is that DX10 is capeable of increasing Gfx quality without decreasing performance, or increasing gfx quality loads for a minimal performance hit.

Remember though. DX10.a will be out by june which I understand Crytek may take advantage of. The problem is that The 8800 series cards do not support this new standard and will not be able to play Crysis using dx10.

This topic is mute

/fud

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Remember though. DX10.a will be out by june which I understand Crytek may take advantage of. The problem is that The 8800 series cards do not support this new standard and will not be able to play Crysis using dx10.

This topic is mute

/fud

:lol: :lol:
I read on a Persian website that the 8800 series will have an add on deisel engine that grants them dx10.a capabilities, but only for a hour at a time, so the engine can cool down.

MeLT

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
You will see all these nvidia fanbois crying when crysis comes out and in BIG on the box says ENHANCED GRAPHICS FOR ATI R600 REAL DX10 Graphics Card. :D

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
As I've read from another website. Something along these lines:

"Do not buy a graphics card for tomorrows games. Instead buy the games of tomorrow and the graphic card the day after that."

I'm glad I've been able to stop myself from buying a DX10 card. When Crysis comes out, I'll try it on the card I have now, and then if not satisfied, upgrade. Otherwise, upgrading now to play a game that hasn't even come out just seems, how you say, a waste of money unless you have money burning in your pockets?

:tongue:

Ah but see there is away around that.

I picked up a 8800gts from CompUSA for $400 + $50 1year replacement warranty.

In one year, I can turn in my card and get the latest and greatest or my money back.

Ya! NewEgg Suckers.

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
You will see all these nvidia fanbois crying when crysis comes out and in BIG on the box says ENHANCED GRAPHICS FOR ATI R600 REAL DX10 Graphics Card. :D

FUDmaster nice moves...I see your FUD is as good as mine!