Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why buy an 8800GTX..Crysis benchmark big dissapointment?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 26, 2007 10:59:59 PM

These are some benchmarks I've found on some Chinese site and if these are true it would be a large dissapointment for gamers when they'll find out that their DX10 8800GTX (not even talking about the SLI + quadcore setup this benchmark was run on) is not even able to play DX10 games like Crysis in a decent resolution/FPS. I'll stick with my XP/DX9c setup (as this will play Crysis as well) till the real monster DX10 cards arrive next year ;)  Got this next link via http://realworldbenchmarks.com/newsitem.php?id=157

Check it out for yourself....

http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hardware/33923_page15918.h...
February 26, 2007 11:12:22 PM

i got his from another forum, i would not believe any benchies till the games is out
"Crysis ran at 30 frames per second on Vista. Here's the details:

- 2048x1600 resolution
- High details (in pre-Alpha)

- Single-Core CPU
- 2GB of RAM
- 8800GTX

-Unoptimized

Yes, at 30 frames in Vista. Smile"
February 26, 2007 11:14:37 PM

i don't think trust that web-site can be trusted
February 26, 2007 11:24:53 PM

Quote:
i don't think trust that web-site can be trusted


Well, why could this not be true? It's a very heavy game. When you see for example this crytek 2 engine tech movie>>> http://www.arena51.be/fr/videogames/movies/item.php?id=... it will totally blow you away. But I agree, it could be a fake benchmark.....just wondering if there are more people who read about Crysis benchmarks that shows simulair results.
February 27, 2007 12:52:23 AM

Don't believe it. Reminds me of a supposed R600 benchmark that appeared on a Russian site the other day. Lets see some respected web sites giving bench results and I'll pay more attention.
February 27, 2007 12:53:16 AM

yes, exactly my point
February 27, 2007 1:35:22 AM

I agree with you. Without AA/AF and its batting .2FPS? LOL.

You know they say take these things with a grain of salt..... but to swallow this the grain of salt would have to be the size of a bus 8O
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2007 4:38:27 AM

Quote:

Well, why could this not be true?


Because it's already been discussed when VR-Zone posted this a while back;
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4555

HardSpell used the Ageia PhysX card and turned Physics on, however Crytek has already stated that they use VPU physics, not a PPU, so either the one graphics card is doing physics or the CPU is doing physics, either way the test is flawed if that's the case.

I'll believe Crysis Benchmarks, when I can buy it in retail and not some hack-job demo of dubious reliability.
February 27, 2007 10:30:59 AM

Don't be stupid people .. Crytek is making sure their game is playable on every decent card out there and that's include 8800 series of course .

Not to mention many video previews showing Crysis with DX10 effects on a 8800 series .. Gamespot has stated previously that the "Alpha" version of the game was running at 60 FPS .. Maxed .. also on a 8800GTX !

Tomshardware itself has made a comparsion between Crysis on XP and Win Vista .. guess what ? the Vista system was using 8800GTX (the only DX10 hardware available for now) .. and the game was extremely playable . You can find this article on Twitchguru.com .
February 27, 2007 12:18:58 PM

Quote:
i don't think trust that web-site can be trusted


Well, why could this not be true? .

Well, why would it be true? :wink:
February 27, 2007 12:54:55 PM

Isn't Oblivion just now able to be played with all the bells and whistles turned on with the release of the 8800? It won't surprise me if Crysis can't be played with all the settings maxed using current hardware.

Such is the price of these amazing game engines.

I guess it all depends what a difference DX10 really makes. Only time will tell.
February 27, 2007 1:01:04 PM

Quote:
Isn't Oblivion just now able to be played with all the bells and whistles turned on with the release of the 8800? It won't surprise me if Crysis can't be played with all the settings maxed using current hardware.

Such is the price of these amazing game engines.

I guess it all depends what a difference DX10 really makes. Only time will tell.


Oblivion's engine is not optimized well...

Per the original thread:
Isn't Crysis still in Beta??? This is bogus info.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Crysis is overbuilt for the current cards @ max settings... gives the game more longevity.
February 27, 2007 1:02:01 PM

go gametrailers.com search crysis and there we go, ingame with a 8800gtx tho the frame rates drop sometimes but ya.. long time till the release of crysis.
February 27, 2007 1:03:25 PM

If this thread isn't FUD what is? :roll:
February 27, 2007 1:38:43 PM

DX10 introduces alot of efficiency advances. Take a tree for example, whereas you'd draw each induvidual leaf in DX9.0c, in DX10 you draw one leave and repeat/rotate/resize it 10,000 times.

Even if said leaf is 1,000 times as detailed, you still have a 5x speed increase by the time you have finished the tree.

Now take a jungle screenshot with 50 trees, and you only have to draw one leaf for the lot of them.....
February 27, 2007 1:48:59 PM

Quote:
DX10 introduces alot of efficiency advances. Take a tree for example, whereas you'd draw each induvidual leaf in DX9.0c, in DX10 you draw one leave and repeat/rotate/resize it 10,000 times.

Even if said leaf is 1,000 times as detailed, you still have a 5x speed increase by the time you have finished the tree.

Now take a jungle screenshot with 50 trees, and you only have to draw one leaf for the lot of them.....


Its not really how it works.

The card still has to draw the different leafs with different angle, lightsource, shader angle.
February 27, 2007 1:52:14 PM

Hence the 5x increase not 10x :p 

It is still far more efficient to rotate the leave and copy it than it is to draw a whole new one.

My point is that DX10 is capeable of increasing Gfx quality without decreasing performance, or increasing gfx quality loads for a minimal performance hit.
February 27, 2007 2:05:41 PM

Remember though. DX10.a will be out by june which I understand Crytek may take advantage of. The problem is that The 8800 series cards do not support this new standard and will not be able to play Crysis using dx10.

This topic is mute





/fud
February 27, 2007 2:16:05 PM

Quote:
Remember though. DX10.a will be out by june which I understand Crytek may take advantage of. The problem is that The 8800 series cards do not support this new standard and will not be able to play Crysis using dx10.

This topic is mute





/fud


:lol:  :lol: 
I read on a Persian website that the 8800 series will have an add on deisel engine that grants them dx10.a capabilities, but only for a hour at a time, so the engine can cool down.
February 27, 2007 2:22:24 PM

Well considering how short games are becoming, that 1 hour should be enough to beat crysis on hard start to finish.
February 27, 2007 2:27:14 PM

You will see all these nvidia fanbois crying when crysis comes out and in BIG on the box says ENHANCED GRAPHICS FOR ATI R600 REAL DX10 Graphics Card. :D 
February 27, 2007 2:27:37 PM

As I've read from another website. Something along these lines:

"Do not buy a graphics card for tomorrows games. Instead buy the games of tomorrow and the graphic card the day after that."

I'm glad I've been able to stop myself from buying a DX10 card. When Crysis comes out, I'll try it on the card I have now, and then if not satisfied, upgrade. Otherwise, upgrading now to play a game that hasn't even come out just seems, how you say, a waste of money unless you have money burning in your pockets?

:tongue:
February 27, 2007 2:31:00 PM

Ah but see there is away around that.


I picked up a 8800gts from CompUSA for $400 + $50 1year replacement warranty.

In one year, I can turn in my card and get the latest and greatest or my money back.

Ya! NewEgg Suckers.
February 27, 2007 2:32:00 PM

Quote:
You will see all these nvidia fanbois crying when crysis comes out and in BIG on the box says ENHANCED GRAPHICS FOR ATI R600 REAL DX10 Graphics Card. :D 


FUDmaster nice moves...I see your FUD is as good as mine!
February 27, 2007 2:51:27 PM

Quote:
Ah but see there is away around that.


I picked up a 8800gts from CompUSA for $400 + $50 1year replacement warranty.

In one year, I can turn in my card and get the latest and greatest or my money back.

Ya! NewEgg Suckers.

like the 8950gtx2 that nvidia is releasing soon. 2 chips in one card with 1gig+ of ram on it for $700-800... thats what im going for ^_^ witht that 1 year repleacement plan can i upgrade my 7900gs?
February 27, 2007 3:00:01 PM

I know peopel who work at compusa, and this is something they advertise very well.



If you buy a vid card at their price and pay X amount extra for X amount for up to 3 years of extended service plan, you can at any time, exchange the card for:

Same card
Money Back (what you paid minus cost of warranty)
new card of equal value or discounted for more expensive card.

I paid $40 for one year, 2 years was 75$.
February 27, 2007 3:04:03 PM

Quote:
You will see all these nvidia fanbois crying when crysis comes out and in BIG on the box says ENHANCED GRAPHICS FOR ATI R600 REAL DX10 Graphics Card. :D 


"real" DX10?

What is this then?
February 27, 2007 3:13:26 PM

Fake DX10... kinda like how Apple makes a fake PC.
February 27, 2007 3:21:16 PM

After all the delays the R600 has had, by the time the R600 is actually released, Crysis will be so old it will not be worth playing anyway. :) 
February 27, 2007 3:47:25 PM

This is a noobie qs, will Crysis come with an installable version of DX10, and will u be able to install it onto XP machines?

I thought MS said DX10 would be out in Vista 1 year befor it came out for XP!
February 27, 2007 3:57:47 PM

so i guess that everybody that upgraded their cpu's to dual core and dx10 graphics cards are going to be shafted ,in your opinion, by a game that a company releases that isnt playable to most of these said people?! excuse me but im a bit drunk..but is it me or is this a load of bollocks an makes no sense?!
February 27, 2007 4:01:33 PM

Silly English, the web is for Americans.


Joking! Anyway, reread thread when sober.
February 27, 2007 4:03:26 PM

Quote:
so i guess that everybody that upgraded their cpu's to dual core and dx10 graphics cards are going to be shafted ,in your opinion, by a game that a company releases that isnt playable to most of these said people?! excuse me but im a bit drunk..but is it me or is this a load of bollocks an makes no sense?!


Don't worry, it's not just you. No one know for sure how Crysis will perform on an 8800, and damn sure no one knows how it will perform on an r600, but people love to talk like they have one of each in thier living room, and have been playing crysis for weeks.
February 27, 2007 4:16:26 PM

The Chinese benchmarks have been proven to be fake a while ago. These weren't released recently.

And where did you hear that 8800 series cards won't support DirectX 10a, thus not being able to play Crysis with DirectX 10 capabilities. Sounds like hogwash. DirectX 10a would be a variation of the software, if a card supports DirectX 10 is is going to support the base for any variations.
February 27, 2007 4:21:39 PM

read


/fud for dx10.a compatibility.
February 27, 2007 4:29:02 PM

Quote:
This is a noobie qs, will Crysis come with an installable version of DX10, and will u be able to install it onto XP machines?

I thought MS said DX10 would be out in Vista 1 year befor it came out for XP!


XP will NOT support DX10. You'll have to go Vista. It's probably going to be about the only decent reason to bother, seeing as it's currently a dog: slower, with loads of annoying security messages, and a 'fancy' graphics interface that's utterly unimpressive. Oh, and there aren't any drivers that work with it!

But I'd imagine they'd include any necessary software on the disk. Even if they don't, it's hardly going to be tricky to go to microsoft and download it.
February 27, 2007 4:38:23 PM

crysis allows for both dx10 and dx9.c
February 27, 2007 4:42:38 PM

What no DX8 compatibility? What willl i dO?
February 27, 2007 4:46:12 PM

Right, but that wasn't the point now, was it?
February 27, 2007 4:53:08 PM

Quote:
These are some benchmarks I've found on some Chinese site and if these are true it would be a large dissapointment for gamers when they'll find out that their DX10 8800GTX (not even talking about the SLI + quadcore setup this benchmark was run on) is not even able to play DX10 games like Crysis in a decent resolution/FPS. I'll stick with my XP/DX9c setup (as this will play Crysis as well) till the real monster DX10 cards arrive next year ;)  Got this next link via http://realworldbenchmarks.com/newsitem.php?id=157

Check it out for yourself....

http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hardware/33923_page15918.h...


BTW, it's "disappointment". As in, it's a disappointment that people will just quote any old crap off the internet and assume its reliability (c.f. look up 'truthiness' on Wikipedia).

And I know we're all interested in Crysis, but is there anything to say that it will even be a good game? Wouldn't it just be hilarious if it came out and was just another tedious FPS with a crap storyline? And STILL there would be all these people who've upgraded to Vista and bought a riidiculously expensive GFX card waiting around for something to actually make decent use of their impressive-on-paper systems! This would be highly amusing...
February 27, 2007 5:02:53 PM

Its funny how so many people are over exaggerating the requirements for this game. Calm the hell down, you haven't even played it yet.

I bet you can play it on a 7800 just fine. Thier not going to make a game that only 10% of PC gamers will be able to play.
February 27, 2007 5:05:20 PM

They're going to make a game that scales high. a 7900 may play it on medium, but I hope a 8800 wont play it on max (to leave room for improvement).
February 27, 2007 5:23:24 PM

Quote:
BTW, it's "disappointment". As in, it's a disappointment that people will just quote any old crap off the internet and assume its reliability (c.f. look up 'truthiness' on Wikipedia).

And I know we're all interested in Crysis, but is there anything to say that it will even be a good game? Wouldn't it just be hilarious if it came out and was just another tedious FPS with a crap storyline? And STILL there would be all these people who've upgraded to Vista and bought a riidiculously expensive GFX card waiting around for something to actually make decent use of their impressive-on-paper systems! This would be highly amusing...


You know what is more amusing. The amount of people that think such things are amusing because they themselves do not have the money to pay for an impressive-on-paper system, such as yourself Jamiepotter.
I am running Vista and I have a 8800 GTS. But you know what the real kicker is, I got Vista free from Microsoft and my 8800 GTS only cost me $150 bucks. I can bet that your not so impressive system on paper cannot give you half the gaming experience mine can. So put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Funnyman! :) 

crim
February 27, 2007 5:35:49 PM

Well said sir!

He who laughs last... probably didn't get the joke.
February 27, 2007 5:38:42 PM

Quote:
You will see all these nvidia fanbois crying when crysis comes out and in BIG on the box says ENHANCED GRAPHICS FOR ATI R600 REAL DX10 Graphics Card. :D 



lol.. ATI, the way it's meant to be delayed.
February 27, 2007 5:46:04 PM

That is a good saying. Maybe that can be the new saying for all the ATI fanbois. Or it could be this one.

Quote:
With R600 done, more or less, it is time for AMD to clean house. Having one chip go bad is a problem, a big problem. Three in a row is unacceptable, and changes have to be made. What those changes are, I don't have a clue, but someone at DAAMIT does.
R700 will be the first product that has AMD DNA in it, and will point the way forward. If it is out on time, on target, and all the other ons that one needs, it will be pretty clear that AMD did right. If they fumble again, the whole concept of graphics at AMD should be simply packed in and the money spent elsewhere.
February 27, 2007 5:47:41 PM

Quote:
BTW, it's "disappointment". As in, it's a disappointment that people will just quote any old crap off the internet and assume its reliability (c.f. look up 'truthiness' on Wikipedia).

And I know we're all interested in Crysis, but is there anything to say that it will even be a good game? Wouldn't it just be hilarious if it came out and was just another tedious FPS with a crap storyline? And STILL there would be all these people who've upgraded to Vista and bought a riidiculously expensive GFX card waiting around for something to actually make decent use of their impressive-on-paper systems! This would be highly amusing...


You know what is more amusing. The amount of people that think such things are amusing because they themselves do not have the money to pay for an impressive-on-paper system, such as yourself Jamiepotter.
I am running Vista and I have a 8800 GTS. But you know what the real kicker is, I got Vista free from Microsoft and my 8800 GTS only cost me $150 bucks. I can bet that your not so impressive system on paper cannot give you half the gaming experience mine can. So put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Funnyman! :) 

crim

Im sure you stole it so says your name.
February 27, 2007 6:05:55 PM

Quote:
Its funny how so many people are over exaggerating the requirements for this game. Calm the hell down, you haven't even played it yet.

I bet you can play it on a 7800 just fine. Thier not going to make a game that only 10% of PC gamers will be able to play.


I agree with you man, I've read several interviews witht he designers where they say a good Gaming machine now will be able to run the game in DX9 mode perfectly fine. I doubt they would even make a DX9 mode if you needed SLi or crossfire to run it, it wouldnt be worth the time to develop it.

As someone else said, I thought all the demo movies of crysis in DX10 were done on a 8800gtx, looked pretty smooth to me.
February 27, 2007 6:18:35 PM

It's kinda funny. All he really did was prove that he wasn't one of the people I would find amusing if Crysis was rubbish. Which is fine, but I wouldn't be laughing at someone who stole it either!

Presumably _someone_ has paid through the nose for this hardware, however, and rushed out to get Vista the minute it came out...

What is this 'Mr Funnyman' reference anyway? I know it was in American Beauty, but this didn't seem to me to be the original source. Is it just an Americanism, like "How 'bout them Metz?" or something?
!