Comcast cable to dlp projector

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 17, 2004 9:10:03 PM

May I ask what's needed to get a comcast hdtv signal to a Proxima dlp
projector? The proxima unit displays natively at 1024 and does a great job
with dvds.

What minimally do I need between the cable in outlet and the s-video input
on the projector. There is a computer between the two with a vga cable
connected to the projector. Thanks.

Nick
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 11:26:47 PM

"Nick Mirro" <nickmirro@attbi.com> wrote in message
> May I ask what's needed to get a comcast hdtv signal to a Proxima dlp
> projector? The proxima unit displays natively at 1024 and does a great
job
> with dvds.
>
> What minimally do I need between the cable in outlet and the s-video input
> on the projector. There is a computer between the two with a vga cable
> connected to the projector. Thanks.
>
> Nick

You may not want to hear the following...

My SA8000HD Comcast box (nor did my previous SA3000) will not output the HD
channels on the S-Video out... so the simple route of connecting the S-Video
is not going to work. But you might want to call Comcast and see.

Your pxoxima was probably designed only for use with a PC... so it has PC
DVI and PC RGB connections
Sadly, these are not the same as the HDTV versions - even the DVI, because
HD DVI has an HDCP copy protection authenticator running in the display
which tells the DVI-out in the set top box that it's ok to send the pretty
stuff. Additionally, I hope your Proxima has a 16x9 aspect display because
you will throw away even more pixels to letterbox a 16:9 HD image.

But... assuming you gotta do it since you already own the projector...

1. ask comcast if they support DVI without HDCP copy protection ... so as to
allow use of a DVI PC monitor.
2. while you are at it, ask comcast if they have a hidden setup in the box
to change the component analog out to RGB - tell them you want to use an
analog PC VGA monitor.
3. check the proxima people and ask if the RGB input can also support
component.

Armed with these answers, you can explore the options.

now for the options
1. if comcast says yes to Q1, then you can use the DVI input on the
projector
but be aware that comcast... a. might be mistaken, b. might be lying, c.
might be forced by their content suppliers to turn on the DVI copy
management in which case your projector will stop working.
2. if comcast says yes to Q2, then you can use the regular old VGA input to
the projector with a regular VGA / RCA plug cable - this is also good and is
pretty safe, future-wise.
3. if proxima says yes to Q3, then you can connect the projector as if it
were an HD monitor using a regular and all is fine - uses the same cable as
#2 except the color coded wires have different colors

Now... if answers to Q1,Q2 AND Q3 are all NO, then you have to buy an
expensive component to RGB converter box
among others, Ram Electronics sells them -
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/kd-ctca2.htm

BTW... my bet is on "no" for all 3 Q's and you will have to buy an expensive
converter to see marginal resolution SDTV on your "free" projector

I don't predict a happy ending.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 1:51:01 AM

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the information. Here is some key info I left out. The dlp
projector has no dvi input, just vga, rgb and s (bought in '01). I called
Comcast and spoke with someone who kept referring to the unit as a film
projector (no useful info). A few months back I did connect with someone
more knowledgeable.

I also have no converter box, just basic cable with a coaxial outlet. We
just trimmed our service to basic.

Is the comcast hd box required to interpret the hd signal? Can the pc be
used in any way? Thanks again.

Nick

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> 2. if comcast says yes to Q2, then you can use the regular old VGA input
> the projector with a regular VGA / RCA plug cable - this is also good and
is
> pretty safe, future-wise.
> 3. if proxima says yes to Q3, then you can connect the projector as if it
> were an HD monitor using a regular and all is fine - uses the same cable
as
> #2 except the color coded wires have different colors
>
> Now... if answers to Q1,Q2 AND Q3 are all NO, then you have to buy an
> expensive component to RGB converter box
> among others, Ram Electronics sells them -
> http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/kd-ctca2.htm
>
> BTW... my bet is on "no" for all 3 Q's and you will have to buy an
expensive
> converter to see marginal resolution SDTV on your "free" projector

August 18, 2004 5:03:26 PM

"Nick Mirro" <nickmirro@attbi.com> wrote in message
news:o P2dnXZS560UX7_cRVn-pw@comcast.com...
> Hi Randy,
>
> Thanks for the information. Here is some key info I left out. The dlp
> projector has no dvi input, just vga, rgb and s (bought in '01). I called
> Comcast and spoke with someone who kept referring to the unit as a film
> projector (no useful info). A few months back I did connect with someone
> more knowledgeable.
>
> I also have no converter box, just basic cable with a coaxial outlet. We
> just trimmed our service to basic.
>
> Is the comcast hd box required to interpret the hd signal? Can the pc be
> used in any way? Thanks again.
>
> Nick

You need a Comcast HD set top box to receive the digital HD's... and the HD
STB's typically only output component (not RGB) though there may be hidden
setups to change this.

There are PC cards that have a cable QAM256 decoder (like the DVICO) but if
your local comcast is using encryption on the HD channels, it won't work.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 7:05:07 PM

Nick Mirro wrote:
> The dlp
> projector has no dvi input, just vga, rgb and s (bought in '01).

There is a few company that build converter for different type of video
input. Ramelectronics seems to be selling a component to rgb converter
for around $300:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/kd-ctca2.htm

Disclaimer: I don't know how good it is as I have not used it.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 8:58:09 PM

I did 1 google search and the first link I looked at was this:
http://www.hometheatre.net.au/cyu2100.htm

Dishes are done.
--Dan

> [...]
> > the projector with a regular VGA / RCA plug cable - this is also good
and
> is
> > pretty safe, future-wise.
> > 3. if proxima says yes to Q3, then you can connect the projector as if
it
> > were an HD monitor using a regular and all is fine - uses the same cable
> as
> > #2 except the color coded wires have different colors
> >
> > Now... if answers to Q1,Q2 AND Q3 are all NO, then you have to buy an
> > expensive component to RGB converter box
> > among others, Ram Electronics sells them -
> > http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/kd-ctca2.htm
> >
> > BTW... my bet is on "no" for all 3 Q's and you will have to buy an
> expensive
> > converter to see marginal resolution SDTV on your "free" projector

August 18, 2004 8:58:10 PM

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I did 1 google search and the first link I looked at was this:
> http://www.hometheatre.net.au/cyu2100.htm

I think the converter you reference is backwards... it's a RGB to component
converter.

Am HD STB outputs YPbPr component and the Proxima projector inputs RGB.

the appropriate converter is found at
http://www.hometheatre.net.au/cyu333.htm for twice the price
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 11:58:41 PM

Nick Mirro wrote:
> The dlp projector has no dvi input, just vga, rgb and s (bought in '01).

To clarify, composite and S-Video only support NTSC/PAL/SECAM, or
effectively standard definition (480i/576i).

For higher definitions, you will need to use component video, but as
previously noted, the PC and CE industries have different flavors of
component video. PC devices work in the RGB colorspace, use the VESA or
BNCx3 or BNCx5 connectors, and support resolutions specified by VESA and
DDWG (e.g. 1024x768). CE devices on the other hand typically work in the
YPbPr (YCbCr) colorspace, use a RCAx3 connector, and support resolutions
specified by SMPTE, ATSC (e.g. 480p/720p/1080i) and so on.

HOWEVER, you can buy cables and mechanical adapters to go between the
physical PC and CE connector styles, and many PC-centric projectors like
yours have advanced menu entries where the projector can be forced into CE
modes of operation, and/or the A/D and D/D chipsets used are actually
versatile enough to automagically do the correct thing anyway, although the
vendor might not claim support for it. HP has at least one projector where
you can plug a composite cable into the Green BNC connector, and the A/D
chipset will actually do the right thing.

In another post, I believe someone mentioned a YPbPr -> RGB converter box,
which if all else fails, is indeed what you would have to do. Expensive :-(

Thomas Gilg
HP Digital Projector Team
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:03:31 AM

Yep, you are right. But like you say, ther do make an adapter that will
solve the problem. Also, I would really check out that projector setup
menu, I was installing a projector today with VGA and svideo/composite input
only. I read the manual and saw that they offer a cable that will allow
component input through VGA if you change a setting in the setup menu. The
projector is a Plus u5-112. Tiny little thing.

--Dan

> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I did 1 google search and the first link I looked at was this:
> > http://www.hometheatre.net.au/cyu2100.htm
>
> I think the converter you reference is backwards... it's a RGB to
component
> converter.
>
> Am HD STB outputs YPbPr component and the Proxima projector inputs RGB.
>
> the appropriate converter is found at
> http://www.hometheatre.net.au/cyu333.htm for twice the price

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:03:32 AM

> Yep, you are right. But like you say, ther do make an adapter that will
> solve the problem. Also, I would really check out that projector setup
> menu, I was installing a projector today with VGA and svideo/composite
input
> only. I read the manual and saw that they offer a cable that will allow
> component input through VGA if you change a setting in the setup menu.
The
> projector is a Plus u5-112. Tiny little thing.
>
> --Dan

If you can convince the projector to use YPbPr component instead of RGB,
then you are in the game.

Good luck
!