2000 server be BDC

Can server 2000 be implemented as a BDC in a NT4 domain and then upgraded to active directory? If yes were would I find good info on implementing this?
3 answers Last reply
More about 2000 server

    No. There is no such thing as a Win 2k 'BDC'.

    To upgrade a NT 4.0 domain you MUST upgrade the PDC first. It is the ONLY DC
    on a NT 4.0 domain that holds a writeable copy of the SAM (user/domain
    info).

    Upgrading *any* *other* BDC, member server on a NT 4.0 domain before
    upgrading the PDC will create a new domain. The SAM will be different.
    Different SAM = different domain.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "sel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can server 2000 be implemented as a BDC in a NT4 domain and then upgraded
    to active directory? If yes were would I find good info on implementing
    this?

    "sel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can server 2000 be implemented as a BDC in a NT4 domain and then upgraded
    to active directory? If yes were would I find good info on implementing
    this?

    Thats impossible since an NT4 BDC implies a read-only copy of the domain's
    security database. This does not exist in W2K. All W2K DCs have a
    read/writeable copy of the database with time stamps to replicate changes.

    Either install W2K as a member server or migrate your NT4 domain to a W2K
    mixed domain with a W2K server as PDC emulator.

    There are special considerations when migrating from an NT4 domain to a W2K
    domain which involve name resolution. A W2K rootDC in a mixed environment
    needs to support both netbios and DNS. This is relevent in that it will
    further explain why a W2K DC can't participate as a BDC. NT4 is netbios
    based (implies no hierachy). W2K is DNS based(implies a dns hierachy).

    Hello Danny,

    Herre is the URL that tell you about migrating NT 4.0 Dc to Windows 2000.

    296480 HOW TO: Upgrade a Windows NT 4.0-Based PDC to a Windows 2000-Based
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296480

    Regards

    Vedvyas

    Microsoft

Servers Microsoft Active Directory Windows