2000 server be BDC

Can server 2000 be implemented as a BDC in a NT4 domain and then upgraded to active directory? If yes were would I find good info on implementing this?

No. There is no such thing as a Win 2k 'BDC'.

To upgrade a NT 4.0 domain you MUST upgrade the PDC first. It is the ONLY DC
on a NT 4.0 domain that holds a writeable copy of the SAM (user/domain
info).

Upgrading *any* *other* BDC, member server on a NT 4.0 domain before
upgrading the PDC will create a new domain. The SAM will be different.
Different SAM = different domain.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"sel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can server 2000 be implemented as a BDC in a NT4 domain and then upgraded
to active directory? If yes were would I find good info on implementing
this?

"sel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can server 2000 be implemented as a BDC in a NT4 domain and then upgraded
to active directory? If yes were would I find good info on implementing
this?

Thats impossible since an NT4 BDC implies a read-only copy of the domain's
security database. This does not exist in W2K. All W2K DCs have a
read/writeable copy of the database with time stamps to replicate changes.

Either install W2K as a member server or migrate your NT4 domain to a W2K
mixed domain with a W2K server as PDC emulator.

There are special considerations when migrating from an NT4 domain to a W2K
domain which involve name resolution. A W2K rootDC in a mixed environment
needs to support both netbios and DNS. This is relevent in that it will
further explain why a W2K DC can't participate as a BDC. NT4 is netbios
based (implies no hierachy). W2K is DNS based(implies a dns hierachy).