DVD-Writer error?

prezb11

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I used the Samsung SH-182m lightscribe DVD writer in my build from newegg. Ive installed a lot of games recently, and tried copying some data off home made dvds and i had a feeling the the drive was going pretty slow. 30+ minutes to read 2.8 Gigs of music and transfer it to a folder on my hard drive. I ran Nero CD-DVD Speed and i run the benchmark on it and it only says its reading at 3.57x which is really slow when its suposed to be 16x and then in about 3-4 minutes i get Error - TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT (043E02)
in nero and the benchmark stops. I have the latest firmware SB03 installed but i checked the samsung website and they only have SB02? So do i have a defective drive or something?

Cruton

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
When preforming this benchmark and/or data copy, how much ram is getting used? (Do a ctrl alt del, click on task manager, in the preformance tab what does it say in PF usage?) How much ram do you have in your system?

Cruton

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
ok, so we know that you aren't maxed out on ram.

I had a problem kinda like this several years ago. I built a system with a new 50x CDrom drive but I wasn't getting good read speeds. After trying a new CD rom everything ran just fine.

I would see if you could get your hands on another DVD drive (even just a reader would be fine for testing purposes) that you know is working fine in another system. Put that new one in for your Samsung and see if you get the same results. If you get better preformance, then you know that it is the Samsung, if not then we need to look deeper in your system.