Anyone else complaining to DirecTV about lack of HD progra..

I notice that TNT is broadcasting in HD, but DirecTV is not carrying it. I
wonder how many other broadcasters are doing the same and I don't know it.
Hopefully, many folks will start demanding the increased programming.

Clark
4 answers Last reply
More about anyone complaining directv lack progra

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Clark wrote:
    > I notice that TNT is broadcasting in HD, but DirecTV is not carrying it. I
    > wonder how many other broadcasters are doing the same and I don't know it.
    > Hopefully, many folks will start demanding the increased programming.

    TNT's HD channel is relayed via satellite in Digicipher II format, not DSS.
    PBS HD originates in MPEG2-DVB, again not DSS format (although this one might
    be converted). You need to start reading the satellite forums if you want
    answers.

    "D. Stussy" <kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Clark wrote:
    > > I notice that TNT is broadcasting in HD, but DirecTV is not carrying it.
    > > wonder how many other broadcasters are doing the same and I don't know
    it.
    > > Hopefully, many folks will start demanding the increased programming.
    >
    > TNT's HD channel is relayed via satellite in Digicipher II format, not
    DSS.
    > PBS HD originates in MPEG2-DVB, again not DSS format (although this one
    might
    > be converted). You need to start reading the satellite forums if you want
    > answers.

    What does the format by which the signal is relayed by satellite have to do
    with whether DirectTV carries it or not?

    Why is this not a good topic for this group?

    Leonard

    Well, I waited quite a while for the HD version of The Discovery Channel to
    get to DirecTV while they were in negoiations. It may not always be how it
    is transmitted, but who is willing to pay what for carrying it. Or maybe
    more to the point, how it is transmitted might be determined by who is
    willing to pay.

    The reason I bring this up here, is because it is an HDTV news group and
    that is the subject of my question.

    Clark

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Leonard Caillouet wrote:
    > "D. Stussy" <kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Clark wrote:
    > > > I notice that TNT is broadcasting in HD, but DirecTV is not carrying it.
    > > > wonder how many other broadcasters are doing the same and I don't know
    > it.
    > > > Hopefully, many folks will start demanding the increased programming.
    > >
    > > TNT's HD channel is relayed via satellite in Digicipher II format, not
    > DSS.
    > > PBS HD originates in MPEG2-DVB, again not DSS format (although this one
    > might
    > > be converted). You need to start reading the satellite forums if you want
    > > answers.
    >
    > What does the format by which the signal is relayed by satellite have to do
    > with whether DirectTV carries it or not?
    >
    > Why is this not a good topic for this group?

    Topic: Because there are SATELLITE SPECIFIC newsgroups (rec.video.satellite.*)
    which are more appropriate.

    Signal: Because DirecTV uses its OWN proprietary version of MPEG encoding
    which is neither MPEG2-DVB or DCII; it is incompatible and therefore these
    other formats are not recievable by a DirecTV satellite system. If TNT-HD were
    to be available via DSS, it would be a second-generation signal (i.e. received
    by the ground station in the other format and converted to DSS). Although for
    digital TV, that doesn't matter as much, why not receive it DIRECTLY in its
    native format?

HDTV HD Home Theatre