can't load windvd software!

March 12, 2005 5:07:04 AM

hello,

I put a legit winDVD4 startup disk in my emachine computer. While trying to
run the setup wizard an error pops up stating "this is not a qualified compaq
solution". Im running windows XP (home) and need this installed so I could
watch DVD's on the computer. Any way to install this?

thanks

More about : load windvd software

March 12, 2005 8:27:06 AM

In news:D 4CFA591-8BBE-407A-931C-84EAE728A32E@microsoft.com,
shauny <shauny@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> hello,
>
> I put a legit winDVD4 startup disk in my emachine computer. While
> trying to run the setup wizard an error pops up stating "this is not
> a qualified compaq solution". Im running windows XP (home) and need
> this installed so I could watch DVD's on the computer. Any way to
> install this?
>
> thanks

Does your emachine come with a DVD solution of it's own? That'd be where I'd
start though I'd be right ticked off. I've never owned an emachine and
during the time they were growing popular I was an Acer man. The problems
you're having are likely due to the fact that you own an emachine. Check for
a native DVD solution on your installation CDs. I'm not positive but I think
that you _should_ have a PowerDVD CD if your emachine came with a DVD
player.

Galen
March 12, 2005 10:52:35 PM

It sounds like you have an "OEM" version of winDVD. In this case that
means that it has been modified to only work on Compaq brand PCs. If you
had the retail version of the same program it would work on all brands of
PCs. OEM versions are cheaper, often "free" with a given PC. But, they are
not necesarily portable.

You might try one of the following approaches:

1. Search the web for a free DVD player. Odds are good you will find at
least one.

2. Look for other DVD software lying around the house. For example, many
video cards come with DVD software, and sometimes so do monitors or even
motherboards.

3. Seach the PC for some progam that is alrady installed that can play
DVDs.

4. Buy new DVD software. There are many from which to choose.

!