  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 5, 2004 12:34:12 PM

i have a windows 2000 pro workstation that worked fine
until yesterday. it uses dhcp to connect to the network.
the ip address is 192.xxx.xxx.xxx..now the pc is
automatically loading a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. no matter
what i do, i cannot get this 169 address off the
workstation. i have unloaded and loaded tcpip several
times, changed the network adapter 2x, etc. Even if i
install a static number, the workstation still fails to
connect to the network.

Can anyone assist in why this is happening??

thx

More about : tcpip issue

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 3:45:37 PM

169.* indicates your computer can't find a DHCP server and is
autoconfiguring an address. Since a static IP isn't working either, you may
have a hardware problem (try swapping out the patch cable(s), try plugging
into another port on your switch/hub) or a NIC problem. Try updating your
driver. If neither of those works, you may have a larger problem in Windows,
but post back after trying these....

TIM wrote:
> i have a windows 2000 pro workstation that worked fine
> until yesterday. it uses dhcp to connect to the network.
> the ip address is 192.xxx.xxx.xxx..now the pc is
> automatically loading a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. no matter
> what i do, i cannot get this 169 address off the
> workstation. i have unloaded and loaded tcpip several
> times, changed the network adapter 2x, etc. Even if i
> install a static number, the workstation still fails to
> connect to the network.
>
> Can anyone assist in why this is happening??
>
> thx
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 3:45:38 PM

thanks for the suggestions, but i have tried all of the
above.(new nic, new port, new cable) The problem is
definitely within the OS, i have run virus software and
that still has not rectified the issue.

June 5, 2004 4:42:55 PM

What service pack level are you running?
I've seen several posts about this sort of problem when someone has
uninstalled Norton Antivirus....but those are fairly old posts, and I don't
know that they apply to newer versions of NAV anyway.

Might want to try this:
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/central/display/det...
for WinsockFix.

> thanks for the suggestions, but i have tried all of the
> above.(new nic, new port, new cable) The problem is
> definitely within the OS, i have run virus software and
> that still has not rectified the issue.

June 5, 2004 4:42:56 PM

SP4 with all recent fixes. i will try the URL and get back
to u.

s.php3?installerID=127&nav=OS&osID=5

!