TCPIP ISSUE

i have a windows 2000 pro workstation that worked fine
until yesterday. it uses dhcp to connect to the network.
the ip address is 192.xxx.xxx.xxx..now the pc is
automatically loading a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. no matter
what i do, i cannot get this 169 address off the
workstation. i have unloaded and loaded tcpip several
times, changed the network adapter 2x, etc. Even if i
install a static number, the workstation still fails to
connect to the network.

Can anyone assist in why this is happening??

thx
4 answers Last reply
More about tcpip issue

    169.* indicates your computer can't find a DHCP server and is
    autoconfiguring an address. Since a static IP isn't working either, you may
    have a hardware problem (try swapping out the patch cable(s), try plugging
    into another port on your switch/hub) or a NIC problem. Try updating your
    driver. If neither of those works, you may have a larger problem in Windows,
    but post back after trying these....

    TIM wrote:
    > i have a windows 2000 pro workstation that worked fine
    > until yesterday. it uses dhcp to connect to the network.
    > the ip address is 192.xxx.xxx.xxx..now the pc is
    > automatically loading a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. no matter
    > what i do, i cannot get this 169 address off the
    > workstation. i have unloaded and loaded tcpip several
    > times, changed the network adapter 2x, etc. Even if i
    > install a static number, the workstation still fails to
    > connect to the network.
    >
    > Can anyone assist in why this is happening??
    >
    > thx

    thanks for the suggestions, but i have tried all of the
    above.(new nic, new port, new cable) The problem is
    definitely within the OS, i have run virus software and
    that still has not rectified the issue.

    What service pack level are you running?
    I've seen several posts about this sort of problem when someone has
    uninstalled Norton Antivirus....but those are fairly old posts, and I don't
    know that they apply to newer versions of NAV anyway.

    Might want to try this:
    http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/central/display/details.php3?installerID=127&nav=OS&osID=5
    for WinsockFix.

    > thanks for the suggestions, but i have tried all of the
    > above.(new nic, new port, new cable) The problem is
    > definitely within the OS, i have run virus software and
    > that still has not rectified the issue.

    SP4 with all recent fixes. i will try the URL and get back
    to u.

Connection Workstations TCP/IP Windows