Changing startup order

Junior

How do I change the startup order of programs in XP Pro? For example,
MSN Messenger loads and starts before the Wireless network has started
- seems pointless for it to start before it has a chance of running!

Thanks.

I don't use the program but isn't there an option within it to not start
during the start up process of windows, if so I'd probably use that
then start the program when needed.
Joan

junior@senior.invalid.net wrote:
> How do I change the startup order of programs in XP Pro? For example,
> MSN Messenger loads and starts before the Wireless network has started
> - seems pointless for it to start before it has a chance of running!
>
> Thanks.

How do you know WIFI is starting before Messenger? The order they're listed
in is irrelevant.

You can only crudely control startup order by the specific startup 'area':
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_reii.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_wtlu.asp

--
Walter Clayton

<junior@senior.invalid.net> wrote in message
> How do I change the startup order of programs in XP Pro? For example,
> MSN Messenger loads and starts before the Wireless network has started
> - seems pointless for it to start before it has a chance of running!
>
> Thanks.

I don't use MSN Messenger but if it runs as a service change the startup
type from from automatic to manual. If it runs as an applicateion
remove it from the startup process.

John

junior@senior.invalid.net wrote:

> How do I change the startup order of programs in XP Pro? For example,
> MSN Messenger loads and starts before the Wireless network has started
> - seems pointless for it to start before it has a chance of running!
>
> Thanks.

Junior

Umm, by watching the screen. You've got it the opposite way around -
MSN Messenger is starting and trying to 'sign in' BEFORE the wireless
connection has been established.

I'll check out the links. Thanks.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:15:28 -0500, "Walter Clayton"
<w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote:

>How do you know WIFI is starting before Messenger? The order they're listed
>in is irrelevant.
>
>You can only crudely control startup order by the specific startup 'area':
>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_reii.asp
>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_wtlu.asp

Arrgh! Dyslexics untie!

--

> Umm, by watching the screen. You've got it the opposite way around -
> MSN Messenger is starting and trying to 'sign in' BEFORE the wireless
> connection has been established.
>
> I'll check out the links. Thanks.
>
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:15:28 -0500, "Walter Clayton"
> <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote:
>
>>How do you know WIFI is starting before Messenger? The order they're
>>listed
>>in is irrelevant.
>>
>>You can only crudely control startup order by the specific startup 'area':
>>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_reii.asp
>>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_wtlu.asp

This is how my systems work as well. It has never been a problem. It sorts
itself every time here.

<junior@senior.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Umm, by watching the screen. You've got it the opposite way around -
> MSN Messenger is starting and trying to 'sign in' BEFORE the wireless
> connection has been established.
>
> I'll check out the links. Thanks.
>
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:15:28 -0500, "Walter Clayton"
> <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote:
>
>>How do you know WIFI is starting before Messenger? The order they're
>>listed
>>in is irrelevant.
>>
>>You can only crudely control startup order by the specific startup 'area':
>>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_reii.asp
>>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_wtlu.asp

Junior

Yes, it seems to sort itself out - I just thought maybe I could
'help' it a little bit. . . :)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:16:29 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
<colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

>This is how my systems work as well. It has never been a problem. It sorts
>itself every time here.

It just takes the wireless adaptor a few more seconds to connect than it
does an NIC.