How stop programs at startup?

Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
startup?

Thank You

Greetings --

Start > Run > Regedit.exe

MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
when Windows starts."

To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
happen as a result of each and every change.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
> prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
> startup?
>
> Thank You

Bruce: Thank You. I had about decided that REGEDIT was the
way to fix. JIM RUDD

count on
>having both at once. - RAH
>

>"Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
>> prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
>> startup?
>>
>> Thank You
>

>.

Greetings --

You're welcome.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

> Bruce: Thank You. I had about decided that REGEDIT was the
> way to fix. JIM RUDD

> Bruce: Thank You. I had about decided that REGEDIT was the
> way to fix. JIM RUDD

I believe this is a better way:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

The problem with using msconfig is that once you uncheck something in
the startup tab, it keeps reminding you on every reboot until you
re-instate it.

DL wrote:

> http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
>
> "Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
> > prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
> > startup?
> >
> > Thank You

dl

not if you tick the appropriate box

"WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The problem with using msconfig is that once you uncheck something in
> the startup tab, it keeps reminding you on every reboot until you
> re-instate it.
>
> DL wrote:
> >
> > http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
> >
> > "Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
> > > prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
> > > startup?
> > >
> > > Thank You

Which appropriate box would that be?

DL wrote:

> not if you tick the appropriate box
>
> "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The problem with using msconfig is that once you uncheck something in
> > the startup tab, it keeps reminding you on every reboot until you
> > re-instate it.
> >
> > DL wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
> > >
> > > "Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

"do not show me this message again"

WoofWoof wrote:
> Which appropriate box would that be?
>
> DL wrote:
>>
>> not if you tick the appropriate box
>>
>> "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The problem with using msconfig is that once you uncheck something
>>> in the startup tab, it keeps reminding you on every reboot until you
>>> re-instate it.

Thank you, Danwench and DL ..... (Duh!)