How stop programs at startup?

Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
startup?

Thank You
10 answers Last reply
More about stop programs startup

    Greetings --

    Start > Run > Regedit.exe

    MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
    is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
    utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

    In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
    deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
    when Windows starts."

    To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
    folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
    also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
    Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
    Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
    any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
    from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
    out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
    have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
    also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
    unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
    happen as a result of each and every change.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
    > prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
    > startup?
    >
    > Thank You

    Bruce: Thank You. I had about decided that REGEDIT was the
    way to fix. JIM RUDD

    Greetings --

    You're welcome.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    > Bruce: Thank You. I had about decided that REGEDIT was the
    > way to fix. JIM RUDD

    > Bruce: Thank You. I had about decided that REGEDIT was the
    > way to fix. JIM RUDD

    I believe this is a better way:

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio

    http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

    "Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
    > prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
    > startup?
    >
    > Thank You
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    The problem with using msconfig is that once you uncheck something in
    the startup tab, it keeps reminding you on every reboot until you
    re-instate it.

    DL wrote:

    > http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
    >
    > "Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
    > > prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
    > > startup?
    > >
    > > Thank You
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    not if you tick the appropriate box

    "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The problem with using msconfig is that once you uncheck something in
    > the startup tab, it keeps reminding you on every reboot until you
    > re-instate it.
    >
    > DL wrote:
    > >
    > > http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
    > >
    > > "Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Since Windows 2000 seems to have no MSCONFIG, how can I
    > > > prevent some of the unwanted programs from opening at
    > > > startup?
    > > >
    > > > Thank You
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Which appropriate box would that be?

    DL wrote:

    > not if you tick the appropriate box
    >
    > "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > The problem with using msconfig is that once you uncheck something in
    > > the startup tab, it keeps reminding you on every reboot until you
    > > re-instate it.
    > >
    > > DL wrote:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
    > > >
    > > > "Jim Rudd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "do not show me this message again"

    WoofWoof wrote:
    > Which appropriate box would that be?
    >
    > DL wrote:
    >>
    >> not if you tick the appropriate box
    >>
    >> "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> The problem with using msconfig is that once you uncheck something
    >>> in the startup tab, it keeps reminding you on every reboot until you
    >>> re-instate it.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Thank you, Danwench and DL ..... (Duh!)

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > "do not show me this message again"
    >
    > WoofWoof wrote: