New boot/load problem --halt

(problem in thread posted earlier today in win2000.general forum dated
8/4/04 by mistake)

I developed a problem with being unable to initiate loading of the Win2K
operating system earlier today. I was helped by Pegasus, who asked me
to test whether I could load the OS with a floppy that contained my
boot.ini (from my hdd), ntldr, and ntdetect.com (both copied from my
Win2000 disk) . It worked. I tried copying those files back to my hard
drive c:\ drive but I still require the floppy to be present in order
for the loading to take place. If the floppy with its files is not
there, I hang right after the PCI assignments are displayed during the
boot posting.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can go from here to be able to load
from my hard drive without having to have the floppy in place? Are
there any BIOS settings that may have been tweaked that I should check?
(ASUS P4PE mb)

Thanks
Ken K
2 answers Last reply
More about boot load problem halt

    You can boot the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
    command;
    fixboot
    to replace the bootsector. To start the Recovery Console, start the computer
    from the Windows 2000 Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If
    you do not have Setup floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the
    Windows 2000 Setup CD, use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the
    Setup floppy disks. Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R
    to repair a Windows 2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery
    Console. The Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator
    password. If you do not have the correct password, Recovery Console does
    not allow access to the computer. If an incorrect password is entered three
    times, the Recovery Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the
    password has been validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console,
    but limited access to the hard disk. You can only access the following
    folders on your computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

    Cross-post when necessary, but never multi-post. Cross-posting is when you
    include two or more groups in the "Newsgroups:" section. In this scenario
    the message and all responses are seen in all groups that the message was
    cross-posted to. In other words any replies will automatically propagate to
    the other newsgroup posts.

    Multi-posting is when you post the same message to two or more groups
    individually. In this scenario the message is seen in the groups it is
    posted to, but the responses are only seen attached to the message (unless
    you cross-post the reply) in which the response was made. So those that
    frequent these groups then need to deal with or re-read the posts. It may
    seem like a small thing to keep track of. But some of us actively traverse
    50 or more groups. The poster also then must search out all of the posts to
    see if there was a response.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ken K" wrote:
    | (problem in thread posted earlier today in win2000.general forum dated
    | 8/4/04 by mistake)
    |
    | I developed a problem with being unable to initiate loading of the Win2K
    | operating system earlier today. I was helped by Pegasus, who asked me
    | to test whether I could load the OS with a floppy that contained my
    | boot.ini (from my hdd), ntldr, and ntdetect.com (both copied from my
    | Win2000 disk) . It worked. I tried copying those files back to my hard
    | drive c:\ drive but I still require the floppy to be present in order
    | for the loading to take place. If the floppy with its files is not
    | there, I hang right after the PCI assignments are displayed during the
    | boot posting.
    |
    | Does anyone have any ideas where I can go from here to be able to load
    | from my hard drive without having to have the floppy in place? Are
    | there any BIOS settings that may have been tweaked that I should check?
    | (ASUS P4PE mb)
    |
    | Thanks
    | Ken K

    Sorry about that. I will abandon this thread and only post on
    m.p.win2000.general. If anyone has any advice, please see that thread
    under my name.

    Here is my followup post there:

    1, apologies for the multiple posts. I am not sure which forum received
    more attention. I am also not sure how I can cross-post with Netscape
    7.1---any ideas how to do it?

    2, I had tried using fixboot yesterday but to no avail. I repeated
    again today, but no luck. I can still boot only with the floppy in
    place. Is there a BIOS setting that might have been tweaked? On POST,
    I can see that the hdd is identified correctly as the primary. Somehow
    I am wondering if the c: drive is just not being seen by the computer
    until directed there by the floppy files...

    3. I had planned on an upgrade to WinXP early next week or so. Any
    chance that might fix the problem or should I wait until there is a fix
    for this?

    4. I would not mind doing a fresh install of Win2K if I could have all
    of my setting preserved. If someone can tell me how to do that, I am
    all ears.

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    >You can boot the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
    >command;
    >fixboot
    >to replace the bootsector. To start the Recovery Console, start the computer
    >from the Windows 2000 Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If
    >you do not have Setup floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the
    >Windows 2000 Setup CD, use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the
    >Setup floppy disks. Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R
    >to repair a Windows 2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery
    >Console. The Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator
    >password. If you do not have the correct password, Recovery Console does
    >not allow access to the computer. If an incorrect password is entered three
    >times, the Recovery Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the
    >password has been validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console,
    >but limited access to the hard disk. You can only access the following
    >folders on your computer: %systemroot% and %windir%
    >
    >Cross-post when necessary, but never multi-post. Cross-posting is when you
    >include two or more groups in the "Newsgroups:" section. In this scenario
    >the message and all responses are seen in all groups that the message was
    >cross-posted to. In other words any replies will automatically propagate to
    >the other newsgroup posts.
    >
    >Multi-posting is when you post the same message to two or more groups
    >individually. In this scenario the message is seen in the groups it is
    >posted to, but the responses are only seen attached to the message (unless
    >you cross-post the reply) in which the response was made. So those that
    >frequent these groups then need to deal with or re-read the posts. It may
    >seem like a small thing to keep track of. But some of us actively traverse
    >50 or more groups. The poster also then must search out all of the posts to
    >see if there was a response.

Floppy Disk Boot Windows